Gripper training for heavy CCS close

JJM

I have done my gripper training mostly by using CCS, simply because my goal is to close heavy grippers with CCS.

What do you think is the best way to set a gripper on training to achieve this goal. Does narrower set correlate to CCS perhaps more efficiently than just doing CCS. Narrower set allows to use a little heavier grippers than wider set. But it also changes how you place the gripper on your hand and thereby slightly changes the angles of force. I think it's also softer for tendons if I set deeper even with heavier gripper and thereby allows more closes per session and / or shortens recovery time.

Ultimately it must be good to have variations in training, but is it good for this goal?

When I certified the 3 it was because I was focusing on CCS. Actually when my close from a parallel set was at its best (183 RGC), I was not very consistent with closing a 3 from a CCS. In my opinion, if your goal is to increase your CCS strength you should do heavy CCS work, and when you do parallel sets, make sure the gripper is set the same way it would be if you were doing a CCS, that way you can close heavier grippers from the same set position you would be in normally during a CCS.   

• Like 1

I have never seen any gains on CCS closes from only doing MMS training. For me the CCS is very difficult. It might work better for you if you have very large hands. If you have average or small hands I think you'll have to work on it a lot to get good at it.

10 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

When I certified the 3 it was because I was focusing on CCS. Actually when my close from a parallel set was at its best (183 RGC), I was not very consistent with closing a 3 from a CCS. In my opinion, if your goal is to increase your CCS strength you should do heavy CCS work, and when you do parallel sets, make sure the gripper is set the same way it would be if you were doing a CCS, that way you can close heavier grippers from the same set position you would be in normally during a CCS.   

Wow that's crazy. Are your hands a bit smaller? At my strongest(closing my 166 elite and getting my 172mm3 to a few mm) I was ccs both my unrated and my 156 #3 every try. My hands are 8"

22 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Wow that's crazy. Are your hands a bit smaller? At my strongest(closing my 166 elite and getting my 172mm3 to a few mm) I was ccs both my unrated and my 156 #3 every try. My hands are 8"

They are like a smidge under 8.25”. 

2 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

They are like a smidge under 8.25”. 

Wow even more then lol. Guess each person is a bit different just like those bench press calculators that take what a person can do ten times and guesstimates what their max is. It works for some and not others. 

I train them separately. I’ve been training CCS Monday and Wednesday, then a 20mm block set with a heavier gripper on Friday. 

I'm currently doing high volume training with grippers and MMS seems to make a good second workout for a week.

It allows me to work with grippers a few days after a long CCS workout session when tendons and especially skin would be too sore for doing CCS closes.

MMS and narrower set closes feels nice and painless if I haven't fully recovered.

After all it's still the same muscles used.

I find focusing on mms the quickest way to get strong and it trickles down to larger ccs. I just practice ccs when it gets close to having to use it (competition or certification)

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2