Hand Grippers Filing

nimar1994

Good morning; 

I have a question; does Filing increase a Gripper's rating? for example; does a COC#2 with filing service have a comparable level of difficulty to that of a COC#2,5? 

Best Regards, Nikola.

Edited by nimar1994
Bad Grammar use

Yes it would have a higher rating but not to the level of a 2.5

It's mainly working a range of motion greater than what's possible without filing. So that when you try a non filed gripper it will feel easier to close to that normal(less) range of motion. 

• Like 1

It varies per the original strength of the gripper, but I think I remember @Cannon saying that for a CoC #2 adds 7-9 rgc. It's not a ton, but it's not nothing.

Anecdotal evidence: I just bought a filed GHP5 rated 118, and on average when unfiled that gripper is rated around 111.

• Like 1

Yeah, @devinhoo got it right.  Including that the original strength of the gripper matters. 

A percentage is probably the best way to quantify the increase, and I would say that is +7% on average. 

• Like 1

I would also add that filing itself makes the gripper incomparable. Such that a 130# gripper and a 130# filled gripper are not the same difficulty.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, Climber028 said:

I would also add that filing itself makes the gripper incomparable. Such that a 130# gripper and a 130# filled gripper are not the same difficulty.

I've actually been thinking about that today after getting some filed grippers in the mail. I was confused at first, because my filed GHP5 didn't feel much harder than my CoC2, even though they're rgc is pretty different... but the average RCG for those two grippers isn't that far off.

Similarly I now have a filed gripper rated 137, but that means that the "sweep" of that gripper is closer to 123-128... so even though I can close my filed 137 I may not actually be able to close an unfilled gripper rated 137? That makes record keeping and knowing where I'm at a bit harder. Would I put down 137, or 128? It's rated 137 for the increased range of motion, but that brand/version averages 123. So is my strength level at 137, or 123? I'm super confused now.

Edited by devinhoo
clarification

There is no single strength level.  You have all the various set widths you could track,  no set, and then filled and choked grippers. 

10 hours ago, devinhoo said:

so even though I can close my filed 137 I may not actually be able to close an unfilled gripper rated 137?

Other way around. Once you go past the regular ROM you’re into territory where the hand is less powerful. Like what was debated in the dyno thread. Strength is kind of a bell curve that peaks around the width of a regular gripper. Wider or narrower and strength drops off. 

• Like 1