"Mathematical" Formula to close Hand Grippers

nimar1994

Good afternoon;

Could anyone suggest some Mathematical Formula (based on own experience or scientific literature) to know the max rep on Grippers closing? I know some people suggest using Welday (1988) and or Epley (1985) for free Weights (Max Rep = KG + 0,0333*KG*RepsNumber) ; but considering the fact that Grip Training differs from the concept of free weights that we see (for example) on Powerlifting; may be there's a more exact formula.

Best Regards; Nikola.

1 hour ago, nimar1994 said:

Good afternoon;

Could anyone suggest some Mathematical Formula (based on own experience or scientific literature) to know the max rep on Grippers closing? I know some people suggest using Welday (1988) and or Epley (1985) for free Weights (Max Rep = KG + 0,0333*KG*RepsNumber) ; but considering the fact that Grip Training differs from the concept of free weights that we see (for example) on Powerlifting; may be there's a more exact formula.

Best Regards; Nikola.

I find the formula for Gripper reps greatly skewed when using parallel set reps. The time under tension just doesn't match up even remotely so the more reps you do the more it is skewed. I did find however that it tends to match well with Epley for me if I do block set reps. Also I have found reasonable correlation if I base an assumption that a rep should be roughly 3sec TUT and track total TUT for a set of parallel set reps. So a set of parallel reps that takes 9sec but I get 6 reps parallel set and is a rep max RM for that style may be the rough equivalent of a 3RM per Epley or corresponding rough equivalent of a 3RM with blockset. At least with myself anyway.

I hope some of that makes sense.

- Aaron

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think these formulas are accurate at all for grippers, nor for any other type of grip. They are somewhat more accurate if you factor in that it's a one handed event. So divide it by two. Example: 100*5*0.0333/2+100 = 108.325.

However, when it comes to grippers I find them very inaccurate regardless what formula you use because there's much more factors that plays a part when it comes to closing grippers. It's not like lifting with a barbell.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think these formulas are accurate at all for grippers, nor for any other type of grip. They are somewhat more accurate if you factor in that it's a one handed event. So divide it by two. Example: 100*5*0.0333/2+100 = 108.325.

However, when it comes to grippers I find them very inaccurate regardless what formula you use because there's much more factors that plays a part when it comes to closing grippers. It's not like lifting with a barbell.

yep, makes sense. A friend of mine is able to close the HG250 more than ten times without making a huge effort; but when it comes to the HG300 he barely closes half of the Grip.

As Kody Burns stated in the GripWell (everyone should check that section out by the way), if you can do 5x5 with a gripper you should be able to at least have chance to close a gripper that is 0.5 up on COC-scale. So if you're doing 5x5 with a 130 lbs rated #2.5 you should have a realistic chance of closing a COC#3 rated at 150 lbs. I agree with this statement as a general rule. There will always be exceptions to this rule of course. The problem with grippers is that setting them are huge part of it. So if your setting strength is weak it doesn't really matter how many reps you're able to do with a lighter gripper. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

As Kody Burns stated in the GripWell (everyone should check that section out by the way), if you can do 5x5 with a gripper you should be able to at least have chance to close a gripper that is 0.5 up on COC-scale. So if you're doing 5x5 with a 130 lbs rated #2.5 you should have a realistic chance of closing a COC#3 rated at 150 lbs. I agree with this statement as a general rule. There will always be exceptions to this rule of course. The problem with grippers is that setting them are huge part of it. So if your setting strength is weak it doesn't really matter how many reps you're able to do with a lighter gripper. 

that principle applies quite well to the HG300; setting them demands a lot of effort, even more than a COC#3

HG grippers are quite literally all over the place. You honestly can't make any accurate assumptions about their closing tension and they season (ie lose tension) pretty fast initially because the springs are either not decent spring steel or are not properly heat treated / stress relieved during manufacture. The HG 250 could be above a #2 level or at a #1.5 level. The HG300 could be as high as near easy #3.5 level to as low as a high #2 depending on mount, seasoning and initial spread. Seriously all over the place.

- Aaron

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, acorn said:

HG grippers are quite literally all over the place. You honestly can't make any accurate assumptions about their closing tension and they season (ie lose tension) pretty fast initially because the springs are either not decent spring steel or are not properly heat treated / stress relieved during manufacture. The HG 250 could be above a #2 level or at a #1.5 level. The HG300 could be as high as near easy #3.5 level to as low as a high #2 depending on mount, seasoning and initial spread. Seriously all over the place.

- Aaron

I see there's a huge variance in terms of quality, when we talk about HG. I've been quite lucky; bought a HG 300 in 2016; and today still feels the same as the first day I used it.

• Like 1

I think it's very important to never compare grippers from different brands. If you want to make anything out of any formula everything needs to be rated and the variables needs to be as close as they possibly can be. Best thing is to only compare grippers from the same brand and also measure the spread of the grippers to make sure they are very close to each other. And also make sure that the knurling is equal on both grippers.

• Like 2