cleaning rolling thunder (no caps)

db2000

Got a rolling thunder about 12 months ago. Its not one of the new "new" ones with the caps on the end.

If you hold onto the handle and with the metal part perpendicular to the ground, it doesn't rotate and drop to hit the wrist.

With these models what is the best way to make the handle spin again? Air?

I drilled a 1/8" hole in the middle of the handle - stuck the air hose nozzle in it and blew while rotating - it cleaned it up - sort of - so I sprayed a bit of a spray lubricant in the hole - now it spins freely.  While it wouldn't count for any record purposes - it spins as well if not better than my new one.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

It’s old (1st gen) and very used, mostly not by me. I figured it was a temp thing that deformed it over the years. 

I’ve got NOTHING when it comes to RT. Like 125 max. 

I concede I might be misunderstanding the problem. It seems to be oval-shaped but maybe it’s not. I should check it with calipers. 

36 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It’s old (1st gen) and very used, mostly not by me. I figured it was a temp thing that deformed it over the years. 

I’ve got NOTHING when it comes to RT. Like 125 max. 

I concede I might be misunderstanding the problem. It seems to be oval-shaped but maybe it’s not. I should check it with calipers. 

Mine swells and contracts with the huge weather swings in the upper midwest, this causes the handle to spin freely at times, and lock up other times.  90s and 70% humidity and it swells and locks up.  -25 and 12% humidity, and it spins like a top.

• Like 1

I sold my RT but when I had it, I kept it inside where it’s temperature controlled. It’s just a piece of plastic spinning over metal so it can deform based on huge shifts in temperature 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cannon said:

The PVC on those can also be deformed. That’s why mine doesn’t spin. 

4 hours ago, Chez said:

I sold my RT but when I had it, I kept it inside where it’s temperature controlled. It’s just a piece of plastic spinning over metal so it can deform based on huge shifts in temperature 

I live in Australia at it has been hitting 113F/45C the last couple months. The rolling thunder is stored in a steel garage/shed with no Air conditioning where I have been training in the heat.

Wonder if that has contributed?

That and the contraction @jchapman mentioned

EDIT: sorry I left the vital part about the weather where I am

Edited by db2000

12 hours ago, db2000 said:

I live in Australia at it has been hitting 113F/45C the last couple months. The rolling thunder is stored in a steel garage/shed with no Air conditioning where I have been training in the heat.

Wonder if that has contributed?

That and the contraction @jchapman mentioned

EDIT: sorry I left the vital part about the weather where I am

Ya, I wouldn’t be surprised if that heat effected your rolling thunder. It either that or chalk/dust got under the sleeve 

When I blew mine out via the hole I drilled - quite a bit of dust came out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

When I blew mine out via the hole I drilled - quite a bit of dust came out. 

I might try this.

It didn't spin so I figured nothing I did would hurt it