Newbie question  re Rolling Thunder

Guest Mike King

Guest Mike King

I am primarely interested in Powerlifting, but would like to obtain a strong grip too.  I have been working with the COC grippers (#1 for 8 reps, #2 is 1/2" from closing) and doing pinch grips with plates.  I have just obtained the Ironmind Rolling Thunder and tried it out finding my max to be 125#.  My question is what is the best way to train with this thing?  Should I be doing reps (what # and what % of max) or should I lift and hold till it falls (and if so how many times and at about what % of max)?  

I haven't been doing this recently (just made a plate loaded Inch replica that I'll be playing with) but when I was I did 5-6 singles per hand, as heavy as possible with some assist even from the other hand if I couldn't fully lift.  I made good progress with this.  Now, if you ask me how this lift translates into strength outside the lift, I couldn't tell you, but it's fun!

By the way, you should expect some pain in your forearms the next day. But you should also expect relatively quick progress (20lbs/month) for the first month.

I started by doing about 90-95% max and holding till failure for 2-3 reps.  However I dont use it as much as I should.  For deadlift strength I prefer loading the bar to max deadlift weight and holding for three timed reps.  I sumo dead with a double overhand grip.

Hi Mike-

I don't know the "best" way to train with the RT, but this is what I do:

I work with it once every 5-7 days.  I do three holds (sets) with each hand and when I reach 10 seconds I add 2.5 pounds.  I just started about one month ago and Roger is right: I started at 95 lbs. and am currently at 125 lbs. (have only got 7 seconds so far with 125).

I'm still a relative beginner with it so I can't say whether this method really works for me yet or not, but I'm progressing so far.  Play around and see what works.

BC.Ó

Guest Marcus Gripa

My current workout with the Rolling Thunder looks like

this

2 sets x 3reps

5 x 1 increasing poundage on first 3 sets till max workout weight is reached.  (ex. 100, 110, 120, 130, 130)

The last two sets I usually pause at the top until I feel my grip slipping.

hope this helps