655 Axle Unofficial World Record!

EricMilfeld

I was feeling unusually strong this afternoon and decided to exceed the world record by well over 100 pounds with this solid 655 effort. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

Freaky strong! Too bad Tommy got in your way, you had that on your own for sure 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just checked the IM rules. Seems legit to me :rock

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Freaky strong! Too bad Tommy got in your way, you had that on your own for sure 

Yeah I know. I didn’t even realize he had snuck in there until I saw the video. But really he was only helping to stabilize. 

7 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Just checked the IM rules. Seems legit to me :rock

I’m relieved to hear this. So still the official unofficial world record!

49 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Damned impressive tandem work 

Thanks, Mike! I think it would be a fun event to contest. Would definitely need powerlifting plates to fit enough weight on the bar for bigger attempts. 

• Haha 1

Not bad - now onwards to a three man WR.  3 men facing the same way but only one hand of each.  We could have the 3 hands WR - the 4 hands WR and more LOL

Edited by climber511
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

Doesn’t USAWA or someone actually contest this lift?  @bencrush you know which one I mean?

There was a strongman contest in Maryland that had tandem deadlifts

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Interesting. Didn’t know anyone contested two man axle double overhand deadlifts.

They do two-man deadlift for sure. And weird stuff like middle fingers deadlift. Not sure about the axle variants but they seem to contest anything you can dream up. 

You guys would take the gold, I’m sure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cannon said:

Doesn’t USAWA or someone actually contest this lift?  @bencrush you know which one I mean?

You are right, Matt.  Surprised anyone knew about that besides USAWA members!  The team meets are more fun than serious, from what I've been told.  I haven't done any of them.  But this lift (double overhand axle, two person) has been done since at least 2009.  In 2014, Al Myers (former pro highland games guy and owner of the Dino Gym) and Chad Ullom (Dinnie Stone multi-repper, highland games athlete) pulled 672 in a contest.  And I'm guessing they just stopped there because they didn't need to go higher that day.  Both guys have pretty serious overall grip strength for not really focusing on that. 

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

They do two-man deadlift for sure. And weird stuff like middle fingers deadlift. Not sure about the axle variants but they seem to contest anything you can dream up. 

You guys would take the gold, I’m sure. 

USAWA team meets can also feature two man one hand deadlifts, thick bar and Olympic bar, two man clean and press, and other fun stuff.  And they can be mixed teams (mixed gender), which could be fun.  My soon-to-be 6-year-old daughter wants to do a team meet with me next year. 

I love the middle fingers deadlift and other finger deadlift variants and have done them in probably a half dozen USAWA contests over the years. 

• Like 2

Andrew Durniat did the 2010 USAWA Grip Challenge with us at the Dino Gym.  He pulled a 200lb PINKY fingers deadlift.  I did 175lbs.  He also did a 308lb one hand (left) thumbless grip deadlift!  And some other big stuff. 

• Like 1

This thread reminded me of something I once read. I could not believe that I found it on the Internet:

Jan Todd, Johnny Carson and a couple of stars doing deadlifting. February, 1978, Tonight Show.

Combining comedy with deadlifting 41 years ago!

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2019 at 10:21 PM, EricMilfeld said:

I was feeling unusually strong this afternoon and decided to exceed the world record by well over 100 pounds with this solid 655 effort. 

0EF3D676-DBF7-4011-B731-79599C34C42D.MOV

Smooth lifting, you guys! I assume you'd lift even more if one of you faced the other way during the lift. Would still technically be both doing double overhand. But it would feel more like a mixed grip because it would be a mixed grip, basically. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Smooth lifting, you guys! I assume you'd lift even more if one of you faced the other way during the lift. Would still technically be both doing double overhand. But it would feel more like a mixed grip because it would be a mixed grip, basically. 

Thanks!

Has that been done before? I’d assume that you’d be fighting each other because you each don’t pull perfectly vertical...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Thanks!

Has that been done before? I’d assume that you’d be fighting each other because you each don’t pull 

I don't know if it's been done before. But I bet it has. And yeah, it does seem like it would be pretty awkward, lol. 

• Like 1