[Meet Report] Cupid's Nightmare

BigRedDoc

I posted this over on reddit and figured I would share here too. Yesterday I competed in my first grip contest, Cupid's Nightmare in the 120kg weight class. It was hosted by Jedd Johnson and Luke Raymond at Peak Performance gym in Wyalusing, PA. I met a lot of good people and had a great time. Jedd streamed the whole event on facebook so you can watch everything if you'd like. Here's the video of my lifts if anyone is interested (BTW the sound isn't synced up right for some reason, I definitely was not holding well past the down commands)

First event was silver bullet. We had 1 minute to set the bullet but only one attempt once we had it clamped. I got 8.66 seconds on the COC 3. Someone said I should've tried to start with the 3.5 but I don't know if that would've happened. Just hitting the 3 was my goal and I got it so I was happy,

Next was a one hand 2 3/8" Napalm's Nightmare to a 6" crossbar. We had 4 attempts, 30 seconds per attempt. I successfully hit 135.75, 146.?, and 156.01lbs. On my 4th attempt I lifted 165.95 and actually hit the cross bar but then the weight dropped out of my hand before I lowered it. I tried a couple more times but it wasn't happening. 150 was my goal so I was happy to pass that but damn I was so close with the 165.

3rd was one hand 3" blockbuster pinch block to lockout, 4 attempts, 1 minute per attempt. They were being super strict on lockouts and making us hold for a second, like literally a "one one thousand" second. I hit 60.11 righty and then switched over to lefty for 65.? and 70.0 because I wanted to save the skin on my right thumb for one big last lift. I attempted 75.11 for my 4th but it wasn't budging. My goal was 70 and I was happy I hit it. Probably should've tried for ~72.5 on my 4th though.

Next was two hand 2" Napalm's Nightmare to a 6" crossbar, 4 attempts, 30 seconds per attempt. I hit 325 and 350lbs pretty smoothly for my first 2 attempts. On my third I lifted 375 to just below the bar and it slipped out of my left hand. I took a breath, tried again, hit the cross bar, and then slammed the weight down just because I was worried it would slip out at the top again like with the one hand nightmare. I attempted 385lbs for my 4th and broke the ground several times but just couldn't get it to the crossbar. My goal was 350 so once again I was happy to pass that.

The last event was the little big horn to lockout, 4 attempts, 1 minute per attempt. They were being strict with the long pause again here. I hit 136.08, 146.1, and 156.? smoothly on my 1st 3 attempts. my final attempt was 161.15lbs. I lifted it to just below lockout righty, then lefty and was starting to freak out a bit. I had 30 seconds left so stepped back, took a breath, rechalked, and then came back and hit it strong for a lockout. This was my favorite moment of the day for me and felt great to finally hit a 4th, especially after floundering at first.

I have no idea how I placed but I had a great time. I achieved or exceeded every one of my goals going in so it was a great performance for my expectations. Everyone was super friendly and cheering for each other and trying to help the other competitors. Jedd and Luke are great and put on a good show. It is amazing to see the massive weights that the top guys hit after I hit a PR. At the end of the day I stood 5 feet away from Luke breaking the little big horn world record, it was awesome. For anyone that is on the fence, I encourage you to try a grip contest. You don't have to be the biggest or the strongest, you just have to go and give it your all. Everyone was more than willing to help show techniques and talk about weight attempt selection. Any one within driving distance of Jedd's place should definitely come on out to the next contest he hosts. Well that's about it, thank you to anyone that read all the way through.

Edited by BigRedDoc
Added video link
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, BigRedDoc said:

I posted this over on reddit and figured I would share here too. Yesterday I competed in my first grip contest, Cupid's Nightmare in the 120kg weight class. It was hosted by Jedd Johnson and Luke Raymond at Peak Performance gym in Wyalusing, PA. I met a lot of good people and had a great time. Jedd streamed the whole event on facebook so you can watch everything if you'd like. Here's the video of my lifts if anyone is interested (BTW the sound isn't synced up right for some reason, I definitely was not holding well past the down commands)

First event was silver bullet. We had 1 minute to set the bullet but only one attempt once we had it clamped. I got 8.66 seconds on the COC 3. Someone said I should've tried to start with the 3.5 but I don't know if that would've happened. Just hitting the 3 was my goal and I got it so I was happy,

Next was a one hand 2 3/8" Napalm's Nightmare to a 6" crossbar. We had 4 attempts, 30 seconds per attempt. I successfully hit 135.75, 146.?, and 156.01lbs. On my 4th attempt I lifted 165.95 and actually hit the cross bar but then the weight dropped out of my hand before I lowered it. I tried a couple more times but it wasn't happening. 150 was my goal so I was happy to pass that but damn I was so close with the 165.

3rd was one hand 3" blockbuster pinch block to lockout, 4 attempts, 1 minute per attempt. They were being super strict on lockouts and making us hold for a second, like literally a "one one thousand" second. I hit 60.11 righty and then switched over to lefty for 65.? and 70.0 because I wanted to save the skin on my right thumb for one big last lift. I attempted 75.11 for my 4th but it wasn't budging. My goal was 70 and I was happy I hit it. Probably should've tried for ~72.5 on my 4th though.

Next was two hand 2" Napalm's Nightmare to a 6" crossbar, 4 attempts, 30 seconds per attempt. I hit 325 and 350lbs pretty smoothly for my first 2 attempts. On my third I lifted 375 to just below the bar and it slipped out of my left hand. I took a breath, tried again, hit the cross bar, and then slammed the weight down just because I was worried it would slip out at the top again like with the one hand nightmare. I attempted 385lbs for my 4th and broke the ground several times but just couldn't get it to the crossbar. My goal was 350 so once again I was happy to pass that.

The last event was the little big horn to lockout, 4 attempts, 1 minute per attempt. They were being strict with the long pause again here. I hit 136.08, 146.1, and 156.? smoothly on my 1st 3 attempts. my final attempt was 161.15lbs. I lifted it to just below lockout righty, then lefty and was starting to freak out a bit. I had 30 seconds left so stepped back, took a breath, rechalked, and then came back and hit it strong for a lockout. This was my favorite moment of the day for me and felt great to finally hit a 4th, especially after floundering at first.

I have no idea how I placed but I had a great time. I achieved or exceeded every one of my goals going in so it was a great performance for my expectations. Everyone was super friendly and cheering for each other and trying to help the other competitors. Jedd and Luke are great and put on a good show. It is amazing to see the massive weights that the top guys hit after I hit a PR. At the end of the day I stood 5 feet away from Luke breaking the little big horn world record, it was awesome. For anyone that is on the fence, I encourage you to try a grip contest. You don't have to be the biggest or the strongest, you just have to go and give it your all. Everyone was more than willing to help show techniques and talk about weight attempt selection. Any one within driving distance of Jedd's place should definitely come on out to the next contest he hosts. Well that's about it, thank you to anyone that read all the way through.

Great job man...way to come in hit your goals and have a better idea of future goals. You’re always welcome to come down and train!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Great job man...way to come in hit your goals and have a better idea of future goals. You’re always welcome to come down and train!

Thanks man. Congrats again on the LBH.

• Like 1

Great meeting you and it was a great time yesterday - congrats on hitting and exceeding your goal lifts - look forward to seeing you again at another comp!

• Like 3

Wish I could have made it! You did great man. I'm glad you posted this to r/GripTraining too, as I know some of those folks aren't on the grip board. 

Again, well done. :)

• Like 2

Can't believe that was your first contest.  Awesome job yesterday man!! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this and the reddit.  Was great to meet you!  Welcome to the grip world and see you at the next one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1