Help

imillertimee

Question for benders. I bought a large box of These 6” 60 d nails. They have a larger diameter than any other 60 d nails I have bought (all from same company) and are a lot harder (no complaints). Is this just a common occurrence in mass produced nails or did I get something that was put in the wrong box?

22777548-D4C2-4AD0-A10E-5A5F50060265.jpeg

I’ve had 50lb boxes of  grip rite 60ds from .245 to .275.   As you progress, the difference in strength between them will become negligible.  Sum up... nothing to be worried about.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, anwnate said:

I’ve had 50lb boxes of  grip rite 60ds from 2.45 to 2.75.   As you progress, the difference in strength between them will become negligible.  Sum up... nothing to be worried about.  

Ok. Figured as much. More or less just looking for a cheaper consistent product to get a reliable workout. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

I found the same thing when I first started out - particularly the 6" galvanised nails I used to purchase by the kg.

One day it dawned on me my there were noticeable differences:  The raw steel the nails were being produced from was actually coiled (quite mild) steel and not straight bar.

As already mentioned, once you get a bit stronger you'll barely notice the difference. 

You'll find 1/4" cold-rolled merchant bar quite consistent once you get to that level - and that's not too far away.

• Like 1

The batch of 6” 60 d nails I have are (not galvy) a little easier than 6” harden 5 bolts ( 3 slash marks). They just don’t have the spring to them. Thanks for sharing your info. 

Edited by imillertimee

Fair point - some nails are indeed harder than others. 

Sounds like you've got some quite solid ones if they're only a little easier than high tensile Grade 5 bolts.  I know which would be cheaper !!!

• Like 1

Super random box (highly unusual). I bang nails for a living/weld as a hobby so i do know a little more about steel than the average person.  A heck of a lot cheaper than bolts and drill drod! Wish they were 7” though!

• Like 1