Getting better

Lennix

Hello!

I've been thinking for a few days on where to go with my griptraining and where is a better place to discuss grip then the Gripboard? My goal is too advance in gripsport in every aspect,. To be able to compete in Sweden and not for the fun of competing but to actually compete.

At the moment I'm very far away from competing at all so there's so much work to do it's almost overwhelming. I've been into griptraining for 9 months approximatly. Here's where I'm at right now:

192cm /113kg (Last year went from 126kg to 110kg, goal is sub 105)

Grippers:

Right Coc#3, 1 rep deepset. Coc #2.5, 7 reps deepset.

Left 3mm to #2.5 deepset, 10 reps with #2

Silverbullet 27 seconds with right and 10 seconds with left

Pinching:

Only done onehanded pinching with 80mm steelblock which is really smooth 30kg with right and 25kg with left. 

Got no plates anywhere to do real plate pinching but got 40mm block and 80mm block to train with.

Rolling Handle 60mm:

72.5kg with left and 70kg with right. tried 76.5kg but failed a bit from lockout.

Fatgripz Extreme

110kg with full lockout 115kg with questionable lockout.

Only tried them 3 times and not really got the hand of it.

Double overhand Deadlift

227.5kg

Bending:

1 week ago i got my first stainless steel to bend. 6mm from 200mm to 145mm. I bent 22 of my 34 already in 9 days :D

Got heavier steel on the way, thanks to @Slippery Pete whom also manufactured my pinchblocks, rolling handles and even the silverbullet :) 

I got movies on all my lifts and gear on:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg7p-g4C1wi7SaQVv2GEh4w

I know it's impossible to rate my weights due to homemade blocks, rolling handle etc but perhaps it can give you a reference point on where to put my focus.

How often to do what implement and how much of it? Grippers I'm trying volume as of now. David Wigren said he did it when he was at his peak with grippers. And so far it's doing wonders for my hand health, no pain or anything and improving.

Here's how my idea of training and kinda what I'm been doing:

H#2  25mm block 8, 6, 8
V#1.5 25mm block 10 8 10

Rolling Thunder 30x10 50x10 50x10

And finnish with pinch if i have any power left 10x3

+ 5x10 platecurls and 5x10 wristcurls

+ I do powerlifting 3x a week  and got time to do Fatgripz atleast 2x/week. I saw Kalle Lane doing loads of volume. Last workout i did 80x5x4 and finished with 80x12 Amrap should I try to progress 5x5 linear since I got noobgains to get or should i upp the volume even more?

Wall of text and alot of rambling but any ideas is appreciated!

Edited by Lennix
added info

That's a strong base already.  I'd keep it simple and hit grip 3 x a week.  Something like:

Monday: thick bar, rotating handles 

Wednesday: grippers

Friday: pinch

Each week, pick a different one to go heavy on.  The other two, get some volume in to build up your base and stamina.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That's a strong base already.  I'd keep it simple and hit grip 3 x a week.  Something like:

Monday: thick bar, rotating handles 

Wednesday: grippers

Friday: pinch

Each week, pick a different one to go heavy on.  The other two, get some volume in to build up your base and stamina.  

Thanks Mike!

Is that really enough? In powerlifting the studies show that you should train the same muscle atleast 2x/week for optimal gains. Alot of these movements train the same muscles so i guess thats no problem but how about getting good at the specific event? Is once a week sufficient?

Spend as much time as possible working technique.  The little things are the difference at any strength level. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lennix said:

Thanks Mike!

Is that really enough? In powerlifting the studies show that you should train the same muscle atleast 2x/week for optimal gains. Alot of these movements train the same muscles so i guess thats no problem but how about getting good at the specific event? Is once a week sufficient?

If you want to get good at one specific thing, than you could hit that one exercise twice a week and do a 4 day a week schedule.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

If you want to get good at one specific thing, than you could hit that one exercise twice a week and do a 4 day a week schedule.  

Finally i can express myself! How do i get good at all these things at once? Since i need to improve everything I don't know where to focus the most. Should I take 1 implement at time and improve? Any of the implements carry over better then others etc?

Thanks alot for your input, it's really appriciated!

32 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I know shit about competing in grip sports, but what to me seems like the most logical approach would be to focus on a few core exercises for pure strength gains and do other implements primarily for practice (cns adaptation). And a few weeks before a competition, should the events be known, shift focus to those only. I mean you won't be a beast in bench press and suck at dumbbell presses after practicing it some for example.

For example, core exercises:

Euro Pinch device for pinch, 1 and two handed , maybe some dynamic thumb for assistance

Axle for thick bar, Rolling handle of your choice, or perhaps a holle it up dumbbell

Sledge levering for wrist, some plate curls

20mm Block set grippers

But again, what do I know.

You most likely know more then me since I'm a beginner!

So it sounds alot like what I've been doing with the addition of sledge levering and Europinch (I guess my blocks will have to do here tho)