Jump to content
Mike Rinderle

#4 (210.54 RGC) Silver Bullet

Recommended Posts

Mike Rinderle

4th time trying a silver bullet and I don't train grippers, so plenty of room for improvement.  This is Jedd's 210.54 lb #4.  Feels like a damn brick so just happy to get any kind of hold with it.  Hopefully I can get a couple seconds with whatever #4 Ironmind sends for the contest next Saturday. 

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan

Wow, Mike! That’s awesome. Just setting the number 4 is something most will never do.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
34 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Wow, Mike! That’s awesome. Just setting the number 4 is something most will never do.

Thanks Joe!  Will be interesting to see how stout the #4 is from Ironmind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
51 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thanks Joe!  Will be interesting to see how stout the #4 is from Ironmind. 

 

51 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thanks Joe!  Will be interesting to see how stout the #4 is from Ironmind. 

Yea man. The one I have is rated at 217. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

Hellyeah! 💪🏻💪🏻

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
24 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

 

Yea man. The one I have is rated at 217. 

That would take some serious contest adrenaline and a set of squats to get any kind of hold on for me.  Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

Anybody know what most of the new #4s are rating at these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Anybody know what most of the new #4s are rating at these days?

The inventory I've been moving through is consistently 210 to 217.  Probably with most landing 214 to 216.  I've rated a much higher number of CoC4s in the past couple months for some reason.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 minute ago, Cannon said:

The inventory I've been moving through is consistently 210 to 217.  Probably with most landing 214 to 216.  I've rated a much higher number of CoC4s in the past couple months for some reason.

 

Thanks Matt.  With contest adrenaline and 3 or 4 red bulls I may be able to get a second or two.  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Thanks Matt.  With contest adrenaline and 3 or 4 red bulls I may be able to get a second or two.  🤣

I'm not actually sure this is interesting, but I just put a 215 rated #4 in my rating rig and closed it down to an actual silver bullet and that took 145lbs.  Then figure you have to add some additional force to keep the weight hanging there.... This kind of critical thinking sometimes fools me, but I would think that added pressure would only need to equal the 2.5k weight.  So let's call it 151 to be safe. 

I bet the time you can hold a coin between the handles of an average #3 would match your #4 silver bullet time pretty closely.   

Tanner should try this out with an average #3.  I bet he gets ~30 secs.  @Boulderbrew

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon

The more I think about this, i'm sure it's just not the same.  The comparison to a #3 is bad, I mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028
20 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'm not actually sure this is interesting, but I just put a 215 rated #4 in my rating rig and closed it down to an actual silver bullet and that took 145lbs.  Then figure you have to add some additional force to keep the weight hanging there.... This kind of critical thinking sometimes fools me, but I would think that added pressure would only need to equal the 2.5k weight.  So let's call it 151 to be safe. 

I bet the time you can hold a coin between the handles of an average #3 would match your #4 silver bullet time pretty closely.   

Tanner should try this out with an average #3.  I bet he gets ~30 secs.  @Boulderbrew

Less than 2.5k. Since the silver bullet and the gripper handles are knurled the coefficient of friction is going to be greater than 1. It might only add 1-1.5k to the required force. Obviously some cosine error will add uncertainty to this but it's a decent ballpark figure

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
17 minutes ago, Cannon said:

The more I think about this, i'm sure it's just not the same.  The comparison to a #3 is bad, I mean. 

#4 SB certainly felt way harder than holding a #3 closed.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

Even if Matts findings are 100% applicable, and we go ahead and assume that all is required to hold a SB with a #4 actually only equals holding 150’ish lbs at parallel, it still would represent that most cannot hold 150’ish pounds around a SB like Tanner can.

so, these findings take nothing from Tanner. Which indeed make them interesting.

Edited by Tommy J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
53 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'm not actually sure this is interesting, but I just put a 215 rated #4 in my rating rig and closed it down to an actual silver bullet and that took 145lbs.  Then figure you have to add some additional force to keep the weight hanging there.... This kind of critical thinking sometimes fools me, but I would think that added pressure would only need to equal the 2.5k weight.  So let's call it 151 to be safe. 

I bet the time you can hold a coin between the handles of an average #3 would match your #4 silver bullet time pretty closely.   

Tanner should try this out with an average #3.  I bet he gets ~30 secs.  @Boulderbrew

The problem is the setting. A #4 is much harder from the start than a #3 is. That is also the reason why people with great open hand strength can be great at SB but not equally great at actually closing grippers. Because they can set the gripper much easier. I'm 100% sure I can do coin holds with pretty much any #3 and I'm also sure I can't set a #4.

Only setting a #4 is a great feat of strength, so good job Mike 💪

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
36 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Even if Matts findings are 100% applicable, and we go ahead and assume that all is required to hold a SB with a #4 actually only equals holding 150’ish lbs at parallel, it still would represent that most cannot hold 150’ish pounds around a SB like Tanner can.

so, these findings take nothing from Tanner. Which indeed make them interesting.

Yea but can he do a #4 micro hold after playing an intense game of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots with his 3 yo?  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
37 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

#4 SB certainly felt way harder than holding a #3 closed.  

Definitely agree with you Mike, having done a #4 SB myself . No way did it feel like the poundage  that  Matt is describing. I can shut 153 for a full close Easy. The #4 felt like a brick on that bullet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Climber028

Is everybody forgetting range of motion?  This is like comparing a rack pull to a deadlift.  Your hands aren't at the strongest position when the gripper is fully closed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
14 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Definitely agree with you Mike, having done a #4 SB myself . No way did it feel like the poundage  that  Matt is describing. I can shut 153 for a full close Easy. The #4 felt like a brick on that bullet 

Yeah I agree with Mike too. The rating was what it was, but it’s not comparable to a #3. Too much about the movements and the grippers are different. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
54 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Is everybody forgetting range of motion?  This is like comparing a rack pull to a deadlift.  Your hands aren't at the strongest position when the gripper is fully closed. 

No. The crush is stronger the closer the fingers get to the palms.

easily tested with a baseline. The widths on a baseline are adjustable. You’ll get higher poundages when squeezing on the narrowest setting.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
16 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Yeah I agree with Mike too. The rating was what it was, but it’s not comparable to a #3. Too much about the movements and the grippers are different. 

Yea. The set alone is insane. Felt like bending a piece of rebar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea. The set alone is insane. Felt like bending a piece of rebar.

Strangely enough... I've done both.  😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boulderbrew
4 hours ago, Cannon said:

Tanner should try this out with an average #3.  I bet he gets ~30 secs.  @Boulderbrew

I’ll give it a try, you are probably right. One other thing to consider is that when the gripper is nearly closed, my thumb is wayyy wrapped over the first knuckle on my middle finger which gives me more power 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
23 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

I’ll give it a try, you are probably right. One other thing to consider is that when the gripper is nearly closed, my thumb is wayyy wrapped over the first knuckle on my middle finger which gives me more power 

Same on the thumb.  Huge difference.   10-15 lbs more than no thumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon

Yeah I agree all around. The rating is what it is. That’s objective. But I think there is more at work here for the difficulty of the #4 SB hold. I was shooting from the hip on the #3 coin hold comparison and it’s probably not going to hold water. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.