Input - Saxon Bar

Amy

Apologizing on the front end if this should be posted elsewhere. Couldn't decide where was most appropriate.

Looking for any input, technique, resources, thoughts, training tips, etc on the Saxon Bar.

I tried that sucker today and would love any expertise, resources, etc any of you all have with it that might translate to gainzzzz...

Thanks!

• Like 1

I like to train it once or twice a week. Lots of triples. My own preference is Sumo for the DL as you can get better ring / pinky and palm pad involvement. I also like to use it for Snatch, Clean and Press, High pulls, and curls as well as straight arm front raises. If you use it for oly lifts and you catch it on the way down vs just dropping the bar the explosive squeeze required to make that happen is very helpful in my opinion.

Anyway, hope some of that helps

- Aaron

• Like 5

22 hours ago, acorn said:

I like to train it once or twice a week. Lots of triples. My own preference is Sumo for the DL as you can get better ring / pinky and palm pad involvement. I also like to use it for Snatch, Clean and Press, High pulls, and curls as well as straight arm front raises. If you use it for oly lifts and you catch it on the way down vs just dropping the bar the explosive squeeze required to make that happen is very helpful in my opinion.

Anyway, hope some of that helps

- Aaron

Thank you! Great ideas. Much appreciated. The things I have noticed to far: it kills my elbows and is the most finger strength dependent event I recall doing. So it's all shooting in the dark for gainzz right now.

When doing Saxon bar, tilt it with your wrist strength as far into flexion as you can for an easier lift. The more you can use wrist power to tilt it towards you, the more benefit you will get. 

Saxon bar is very similar to the Euro but easier to tilt  For me at least I get most of my strength (tilt) from using my Lats more than my forearms. Like Aaron said sumo works a little better than conventional for dead lift as you can supinate easier.  Lats. Act like you are sort of hiking a football tension wise - 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Saxon bar is very similar to the Euro but easier to tilt  For me at least I get most of my strength (tilt) from using my Lats more than my forearms. Like Aaron said sumo works a little better than conventional for dead lift as you can supinate easier.  Lats. Act like you are sort of hiking a football tension wise - 

Chris, check your private messages.

57 minutes ago, Amy said:

Thank you! Great ideas. Much appreciated. The things I have noticed to far: it kills my elbows and is the most finger strength dependent event I recall doing. So it's all shooting in the dark for gainzz right now.

Do you have a photo of how you place your grip or a video of you lifting the Saxon?

59 minutes ago, Amy said:

You may have to experiment a little with hand positioning too to get the most out of it. Like others have said I supinate a little and use wrists as well as I keep the elbows a little bent on a lift. The danger of a bicep issue is higher if you keep the elbows bent same as on DL but I really don't think there is enough weight on there for most to cause that to happen unless there is already damage. 

I find it to be a very productive tool though for bringing up grip strength in a few different areas.

- Aaron

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Do you have a photo of how you place your grip or a video of you lifting the Saxon?

No. I am not sure how often I will have access to actually use the bar but next time I do, I will for sure get a vid. 

9 hours ago, climber511 said:

Lats and lock tight. Got it.  One of my training partners can actually get her fingers under and around a bit. I need her hands.