12 pound sledgehammer x 30

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I can do 2 16 pounders for 5 reps

and double 12s for 15 reps 

You are in some rare air! Strong stuff. Watch those pearly whites! 😅 

I just spoke to Dennis Rogers and believes that Slim did 69.5 pounds on his bolted double lever implement and also did a pair of sledgehammers that weighed either 22 or 24 pounds. He also wanted to make it clear to me that Slim was never pushed by anybody with these lifts because he was so far ahead of anybody else that did them. He was still very near the top of his game in his mid-70's. Dennis said that had there been somebody lifting close to what Slim was lifting then Slim would have driven himself to go beyond the numbers I mentioned. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 3Crusher said:

You are in some rare air! Strong stuff. Watch those pearly whites! 😅 

I just spoke to Dennis Rogers and believes that Slim did 69.5 pounds on his bolted double lever implement and also did a pair of sledgehammers that weighed either 22 or 24 pounds. He also wanted to make it clear to me that Slim was never pushed by anybody with these lifts because he was so far ahead of anybody else that did them. He was still very near the top of his game in his mid-70's. Dennis said that had there been somebody lifting close to what Slim was lifting then Slim would have driven himself to go beyond the numbers I mentioned. 

Haha funny you mention the teeth! I had just bought a mouth guard but forgot to put it in!! Haha!!! Awesome information. I have spoken to Dennis quite a few times on Instagram. Said that I am invited to meet Slim when there is an old time strongman get together if his health is still good. He is in poor shape, I’ve heard. He is the reason I Actually touched a hammer the first time. That was my gateway to grip. Then I met  Jedd Johnson.  Meeting him and becoming friends  jumpstarted the rest. 

Edited by Guest

The pad between your thumb and index finger must be hard as rock. I find that to be the bottleneck for my frail computer hands 😅

Do you think that this feat can benefit from specializing, or is it like grippers in that it should be trained rarely? e.g banging away at the grippers won't necessarily improve your gripper strength, quite the contrary.

Edited by xyzzm
post was unfinished

Wow crazy wrist power and endurance. I have been trying more sledge work and your right about it blowing up the forearm. I can see why your forearms are as big as they are with the power you show on this movement. 

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I honestly think that Joe can match and then best Slim soon. Been on the board since 2011 and don't recall anyone ever doing what Joe is doing with the sledges. Not saying its never happened, and definitely not my intent to overlook any sledge feats by anyone else.. but Joes strict double levers appear to be particularly rare. 

Joe, keep doing whatever you are doing with the sledges. Given how short of a time frame youve been around here, id say that you are easily on the road to becoming the strongest sledge leverer ever. I also dig that you keep the levers strict. Which makes your levering even more impressive.

Thanks, Tommy! That means a lot!  I try to keep everything as strict as I can so that the peanut gallery of arm chair experts have nothing to say. I want to lead by example for others. 👍🏻

6 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Wow crazy wrist power and endurance. I have been trying more sledge work and your right about it blowing up the forearm. I can see why your forearms are as big as they are with the power you show on this movement. 

Thanks Stephen! This will definitely up your forearm game to the max. Strict is key!

7 hours ago, xyzzm said:

The pad between your thumb and index finger must be hard as rock. I find that to be the bottleneck for my frail computer hands 😅

Do you think that this feat can benefit from specializing, or is it like grippers in that it should be trained rarely? e.g banging away at the grippers won't necessarily improve your gripper strength, quite the contrary.

I make sure I train it once per week and nothing more. It’s a lot of stress on the small joints of the wrist. Not to be overdone. For me, once per week is the sweet spot. Same for grippers. I do them  back to back . Actually, my hands are not hard at all. The skin is the same texture as just about anyone else’s, surprisingly.  I work in a rehab facility doing physical therapy and am always having some sort of lotion on my hands throughout the day. That must be keeping them softer than they would be.

Edited by Guest

Joe- Here is a photo from my personal collection that I thought I would share for your viewing pleasure. It was from a show Slim did for a very small audience back in 2006. You will see the date on the photo. The hammers without any added weights are 12 pounds each. These are loaded up somewhere I believe in the 19-20 pound range. 

image.jpeg

Edited by 3Crusher
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 3Crusher said:

Joe- Here is a photo from my personal collection that I thought I would share for your viewing pleasure. It was from a show Slim did for a very small audience back in 2006. You will see the date on the photo. The hammers without any added weights are 12 pounds each. These are loaded up somewhere I believe in the 19-20 pound range. 

image.jpeg

That’s awesome! Are those hammers shorter than the normal hammers? They look on the short side. Or is it just the picture?

Wow I never knew he was that tall, always saw him solo so no other people to compare with.  Crazy 

7 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

King of the Sledge.  Fact

Thanks Rindo. I’m glad sledge isn’t hurting my arm injury. If I can only do one thing, out of sheer love of it, in grip, it’s sledge levers. You can take all other things away, but don’t takes me sledge!

The handles are 31". I have had the honor of being invited to Slim's dungeon and have been able to try the hammers myself. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 3Crusher said:

The handles are 31". I have had the honor of being invited to Slim's dungeon and have been able to try the hammers myself. 

image.jpeg

You lucky dog you!!!

10 hours ago, 3Crusher said:

image.jpeg

Would love to hang out with Dennis Rogers and Slim for a few hours!

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, xyzzm said:

When you say 31" handles is that from the tip of the handle and to the start of the sledge head? 

Handle length should be measured from where it meets the hammer head to the end of handle. Not the total length of the hammer and handle together. I think a lot don’t realize that. 

I was told by Slim and Dennis that they are 31" replacement handles, so that to me means the handle is 31" from tip to tip of the handle itself, not from the tip to the bottom of the hammer head.  That said, I don't know any more than that and it is just my assumption.  In Slim's DVD as well, it is stated that his hammers have 31" handles.  I will check with Dennis Rogers to see if he knows more.

If you go to the AOBS dinner, Slim is always there and Dennis usually is there as well.  That is a usually a good opportunity to meet the both of them.  Slim is a no nonsense guy, and he is not a bull******r in any sense of the word.  When you eventually meet him, you will know exactly what I mean, especially if you go up and introduce yourself to him without anybody else introducing you to him.  He is an intimidating guy,  and when I first met him in 2000, he was even more intimidating.  That said, he has always been nice to me.

Joseph- How long are your hammer handles using your method of measuring?

EDIT- I just received a text back from Dennis Rogers and the hammer handle is from the whole hammer itself.  31" from the bottom of the handle to the top of the hammer.

Edited by 3Crusher

17 minutes ago, 3Crusher said:

I was told by Slim and Dennis that they are 31" replacement handles, so that to me means the handle is 31" from tip to tip of the handle itself, not from the tip to the bottom of the hammer head.  That said, I don't know any more than that and it is just my assumption.  In Slim's DVD as well, it is stated that his hammers have 31" handles.  I will check with Dennis Rogers to see if he knows more.

If you go to the AOBS dinner, Slim is always there and Dennis usually is there as well.  That is a usually a good opportunity to meet the both of them.  Slim is a no nonsense guy, and he is not a bull******r in any sense of the word.  When you eventually meet him, you will know exactly what I mean, especially if you go up and introduce yourself to him without anybody else introducing you to him.  He is an intimidating guy,  and when I first met him in 2000, he was even more intimidating.  That said, he has always been nice to me.

EDIT- I just received a text back from Dennis Rogers and the hammer handle is from the whole hammer itself.  31" from the bottom of the handle to the top of the hammer.

My handles are 32 inches from where they meet the head to the end of the Handle where it is grabbed. Probably 36 if counting the whole handle with the head.

27 minutes ago, 3Crusher said:

I will get specific measurements today after work.

My gil hammer is 36” and I marked 31” and tried to train it. I had that one crappy 23lb lever and the motivation died out. Im not sure if I even care to try. Im sure if I did Id be right up there joe.