12 pound sledgehammer x 30

4 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Damn. I can only do 10 reps. Do you find the high reps help?

For a wicked forearm pump and being pain free. Yes. But if one wants to do huge hammers we have to do those. 

28 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

For a wicked forearm pump and being pain free. Yes. But if one wants to do huge hammers we have to do those. 

Thats what thought. I always did 1-2 reps heavy. A high rep regiment sounds like it would work better. How often do you do it? 

Edited by KapMan

I only do hammers once per week. Warm up set of 12 pounds for max reps, then 16 pounds for max reps and then 20 or above for max reps. If I’m working on moving up a weight I focus on singles with that for getting used to the weight. Takes me 10 Minutes tops . Doesn’t matter if one can do 100 reps with a 10 pounder, if one does not try the heavier hammers like the 16 or 20 they will not lever them. The tissues and CNS need to get accustomed to the load 

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I only do hammers once per week. Warm up set of 12 pounds for max reps, then 16 pounds for max reps and then 20 or above for max reps. If I’m working on moving up a weight I focus on singles with that for getting used to the weight. Takes me 10 Minutes tops . Doesn’t matter if one can do 100 reps with a 10 pounder, if one does not try the heavier hammers like the 16 or 20 they will not lever them. The tissues and CNS need to get accustomed to the load 

I love that you warm up for 30 reps on one I can't do once lol.  I don't work out hammers, so I realize I could move up some on my max if I did them once a week like you.  But still!  I can barely do a 10 once, on a good day!  You are the sledge man to end all sledge men.

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I think at this point its safe to suggest Joe could quite literally match, and then best Slim the Hammer Mans best sledge performances very soon. Maybe even already?.. 

for my own curiosity sake, can anyone cite Slims best lever feats?.. im being too lazy to look

I was wondering that myself, Tommy.

18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I love that you warm up for 30 reps on one I can't do once lol.  I don't work out hammers, so I realize I could move up some on my max if I did them once a week like you.  But still!  I can barely do a 10 once, on a good day!  You are the sledge man to end all sledge men.

It’s a gift, Vin. I was able to do an 11x 5 the first time I touched one 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s a gift, Vin. I was able to do an 11x 5 the first time I touched one 

That's amazing but you have left that in the dust.  I am intrigued and plan to buy a 6 for reps.  I can do an 8 any time I want but not for more than a rep or 2, and as I said I have done a 10 on a good day, but I think it would be useful to do more reps with lighter to work on my wrists and tissues.  I may text you for advice if you don't mind, when I get a hammer or two and start on it.

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I think at this point its safe to suggest Joe could quite literally match, and then best Slim the Hammer Mans best sledge performances very soon. Maybe even already?.. 

for my own curiosity sake, can anyone cite Slims best lever feats?.. im being too lazy to look

Believe its 70 something for his double and 32 for his 1 arm lever.

i also remember Chris Rider saying it was a 31” hammer. I think Robert could ask dennis rogers for the hard facts thought 

Edited by KapMan

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

That's amazing but you have left that in the dust.  I am intrigued and plan to buy a 6 for reps.  I can do an 8 any time I want but not for more than a rep or 2, and as I said I have done a 10 on a good day, but I think it would be useful to do more reps with lighter to work on my wrists and tissues.  I may text you for advice if you don't mind, when I get a hammer or two and start on it.

Definitely don’t mind . I love giving out help. A small hammer is good for warm ups, but if you wish to move up a hammer, you must use that hammer. You can do eccentric to the face, and then concentric From the hammer Resting on your head to get used to the weight. You’ll never go up a hammer until you practice with it. Going up a few pounds for a GOOD rep is like going up 100 pounds or more on a regular lift IMO. Going from a 16 pound to a 20 pound for a good rep is like going from a 400 pound bench to a 600 pound bench. At least that was how it seemed when I still couldn’t do them. I remember when I first bought my 16 and I was like there is NO WAY I am ever gonna get this bad boy. And now it’s like child’s play. I couldn’t do a 20 pounder until I was doing 6 STRICT reps with a 16. 

I got the one 12lb loadable hammer. Gil made me. Just need to rebuy some plates. Doing DU bending has increasedmy front lever a tad. But I agree that doing the full movement helps alot more. I treated it as any other lift. Which. Isnt right. 

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Definitely don’t mind . I love giving out help. A small hammer is good for warm ups, but if you wish to move up a hammer, you must use that hammer. You can do eccentric to the face, and then concentric From the hammer Resting on your head to get used to the weight. You’ll never go up a hammer until you practice with it. Going up a few pounds for a GOOD rep is like going up 100 pounds or more on a regular lift IMO. Going from a 16 pound to a 20 pound for a good rep is like going from a 400 pound bench to a 600 pound bench. At least that was how it seemed when I still couldn’t do them. I remember when I first bought my 16 and I was like there is NO WAY I am ever gonna get this bad boy. And now it’s like child’s play. I couldn’t do a 20 pounder until I was doing 6 STRICT reps with a 16. 

Thanks!  I do think I need to do a warm up hammer first though.  I feel like starting with an 8 is like starting near my max gripper for a gripper workout.  Just not ready, and it feels like maybe I shouldn't.

18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks!  I do think I need to do a warm up hammer first though.  I feel like starting with an 8 is like starting near my max gripper for a gripper workout.  Just not ready, and it feels like maybe I shouldn't.

Do what I said. Eccentric lowering and concentric raising 

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Do what I said. Eccentric lowering and concentric raising 

OK well then what I really need first is a dictionary ... ;)

Very impressive levering!  Slim's hammers have 31" handles, which from what I know is the length of most replacement handles.  Most new hammers that I have seen come with 36" handles.  I am unsure of Slim's top levering feats, but I believe that with his bolted together double hammer apparatus, he has done at least 56 pounds, if not more. 

As far as his best with the double individual sledge lever, it has to be north of 20 pounds per hammer.  When you lever two hammers at the same time, it is a whole different world than levering only one hammer.  In other words, if you can pretty easily lever a 12 pound sledge with either hand, it does not mean you can lever those hammers simultaneously. 

I am not saying Slim's best lever lifts will never be beaten, but they will be very hard to beat.

Edited by 3Crusher

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

OK well then what I really need first is a dictionary ... ;)

The lowering phase to the face is eccentric, the upward phase is tre concentric phase. Focus on this under control. That will get you used to bigger hammers. Eccentric is the lengthening phase and concentric is the shortening of the muscle phase. So, lowering a dumbbell in a biceps curl is the eccentric and the curl back up is the concentric phase. 

2 minutes ago, 3Crusher said:

Very impressive levering!  Slim's hammers have 31" handles, which from what I know is the length of most replacement handles.  Most new hammers that I have seen come with 36" handles.  I am unsure of Slim's top levering feats, but I believe that with his bolted together double hammer apparatus, he has done at least 56 pounds, if not more. 

As far as his best with the double individual sledge lever, it has to be north of 20 pounds per hammer.  When you lever two hammers at the same time, it is a whole different world than levering only one hammer.  In other words, if you can pretty easily lever a 12 pound sledge with either hand, it does not mean you can lever those hammers simultaneously. 

I am not saying Slim's best lever lifts will never be beaten, but they will be very hard to beat.

I can do 2 16 pounders for 5 reps

and double 12s for 15 reps 

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Also Vin, I do grippers before hammers.... max reps with a filed #2, filed 2.5, and unfiled #3 for all TNS reps or NS  reps . Then the hammers follow . This is all once per week 

Amazing sledge-levering Joe! I recently got back into levering when I read a post you made about doing it weekly to keep wrist pain at bay. So far, knock on wood, it is working! Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, FrankD said:

Amazing sledge-levering Joe! I recently got back into levering when I read a post you made about doing it weekly to keep wrist pain at bay. So far, knock on wood, it is working! Thanks! 

Great!!! Love to hear positive results! Also, make sure to do all movements including ulnar deviation, pronation, supination and flexion, extension. Leave no room for an imbalance to railroad ya!

Awesome hammer work! I find your technique very cool. It's almost like doing grippers with a hammer, on top of the ulnar wrist deviation. Extremely impressive!

21 minutes ago, tja said:

Awesome hammer work! I find your technique very cool. It's almost like doing grippers with a hammer, on top of the ulnar wrist deviation. Extremely impressive!

That’s exactly what it is like my man! Good observation! It also helps with closing Grippers! Especially if one doesn’t have a good Wrist flexibility. It’s two bangs for your buck! The benefit of crushing And wrist strength