Opinion on one arm pull-up holds?

minhhale

What is everybody's opinion on the one arm pull-up hold for time? Is it any good for developing strength for arm wrestling?

Looks something like this (attached image).

one-arm-chin-2.jpg

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

I would say its one of the best ways to train for arm wrestling outside of actual table time. Having that exact strength will translate perfect to the table.

i love that the guy in the pic is holding on to the smoothest looking part of the bar also.

It's kind of baffling that even though this exercise seems so effective, I rarely see arm wrestlers do it. In my local gym, and even in YouTube montages, I mostly see pullers training with variations of curls.

13 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Dont know. You wont see this exercise a lot out of 200lb+ guys. That i know for a fact. At least not with 1 arm at a time. Mike S. Is one that trains this movement. Hes a 200lb guy. Travis Bagent trains it using 2 hands.

another reason could be that its not very exciting to watch on a video?

Most seasoned pullers would agree that table time is paramount. As do i. But, none would deny this exercise as being excellent to translate to the table. Training this movement, the heavier you are, the more formidable on the table you will be. No doubt about it.

curls are great and all, but having that static strength in the exact position above is better. Unless your curling more with 1 arm than your bw.

Haha excellent point! If there's a camera around guys will just do whatever seems the most flashy I suppose. And doing this hold at 200lbs+ seems like a recipe for disaster.

Travis's point of making sure you hold with a false grip is solid advice too. I come from a calisthenics background and we always grip with our fingers, never the hand, so as to prevent excessive calluses and injuries. I saw a guy doing 20 muscle ups in a row with a false grip and when he came off the bar a torn piece of skin was hanging from his palm.

Best pull up variation, in my opinion is the one that Janis Amolins performs here: 

It has wrist flexion, hook position, trains the biceps and back pressure. But he also does one handed pull ups.

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

I would say its one of the best ways to train for arm wrestling outside of actual table time. Having that exact strength will translate perfect to the table.

i love that the guy in the pic is holding on to the smoothest looking part of the bar also.

Finally, a good use for the smith machine.

1 hour ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Best pull up variation, in my opinion is the one that Janis Amolins performs here: 

It has wrist flexion, hook position, trains the biceps and back pressure. But he also does one handed pull ups.

Thanks for the link. Is it really necessary to go all the way down, i.e arms fully extended like that though?

I would say going to your full range of motion is almost always necessary regardless of exercise. That varies a lot between person to person since some can't even straighten their arm but working a short range exclusively is going to cause problems later on.

10 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I would say going to your full range of motion is almost always necessary regardless of exercise. That varies a lot between person to person since some can't even straighten their arm but working a short range exclusively is going to cause problems later on.

Yea, I saw that video where Devon Larratt cannot physically straighten his elbows and it just stuck with me. That's probably from a lifetime of training with his elbows bent under intense pressure. I really don't want to end up with messed up joints like that.

Just spend time pressing and don't make 100% of your arm work pulling movements.  You only lose a range of motion when you stop spending time there. 

• Like 1

Arm wrestlers train that way intentionally. Also Devon has had multiple surgeries on his arms. Janis did partials with 100 kg on this exercise.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, minhhale said:

What is everybody's opinion on the one arm pull-up hold for time? Is it any good for developing strength for arm wrestling?

Looks something like this (attached image).

one-arm-chin-2.jpg

One of the most important