Arnold Sports Festival 2019 - Competitor list

Mateus

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

What do you think it would be if the bar was straight. Bent bar would probably be easier

Bent bar may be easier on a regular DL. Apollon that it is named for used to clean and press that bent bar with train wheels overhead. A feat that I think would be tougher with a bent bar than straight one. 

From what I remember Chris Rice found about a 10# increase using a 1.9" pipe vs Ironmind 2" Axle

22 minutes ago, acorn said:

Bent bar may be easier on a regular DL. Apollon that it is named for used to clean and press that bent bar with train wheels overhead. A feat that I think would be tougher with a bent bar than straight one. 

From what I remember Chris Rice found about a 10# increase using a 1.9" pipe vs Ironmind 2" Axle

What  I’m asking is this, the original appolons train wheels afixed to the bar apparatus .... at 366, what will this be equivalent to on a full deadlift from plates from the floor with an Ironmind axle? 

Big thanks to Clay and everyone else for running the event. Also big thanks to fellow competitors actually being ready to lift when it was their turn.  The contest ran very smoothly. 

In Finland we use collars on axle, but they are not tightened like that and atleast me and fellow Fins could tell a big difference. I hit 190kg on Axle with loose collars after a contest 6 months ago and I'm quite confident I could 195-200kg with the same setup today. At Arnold I only hit 180kg and lost 185kg at the top. This is something I need to start taking into account in training.

I finished 3rd in fatbois after Carl and @Jedd Johnson who definitely earned their spot in front of me. Big thanks to Jedd for hooking me up with Ipuprofein and helping fellow competitor out. Thanks to that the sickness did not affect my performance in anyway and I was 100%. 

The -100kg was stacked with amazing thickbar athletes so I'm looking forward to not cutting any weight any time soon 😂

• Like 6

On 3/2/2019 at 4:43 AM, Mateus said:

I have seen the Rolling Thunder event on Youtube. Thanks, @Jedd Johnson

i don't want another referre thread... but... please do a better referree job WITHOUT smartphone and WITH optical hand down signal. Watch out the old @Juha Harju contests where he is the referre. That was always a perfect job.

And now all the best for The Axle!

Mateus

There were definitely a couple calls that guy missed, and he didn't seem comfortable telling people no lift, but in all fairness, he was using the phone for the timer.  Not like he was tweeting or something.

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

This right here is what i suspect to be the main difference between good and bad judging. Like, 99% of bad calls i would say are due to this factor. They don’t want to “offend” anyone... its pitiful. Other bad calls maybe due to excitement of the moment, etc.

Yep, another reason for cross-bars, brotherrrr!

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, climber511 said:

At this years Gripmas we held an "Armlifting" competition along with the Gripsport comp.- my small attempt at pulling the two organizations together. There is friction between the two organizations.  My only gripe with Armlifting is having 2 Fat Bar events and no pinch as their devault events.  IronMind does sell a pinch device so availability is not in question.  Maybe in the future this might change, one can hope.  I've worked the Olympic lifting on the Arnold main stage - if anything the time frame as described by Clay was being generous - times are VERY strictly enforced.  As to who was invited - my list or your list might be different but remember - this is Arm Lifting's list - and their contest.  Looking at it I can't see anyone who doesn't belong.  There are certainly other worthy competitors who did not get an invite - but that can be said of any invite only contest.

Hi Chris! Just wanted to post a quick note to let you and everyone else know that Armlifting USA is including the Sorinex Saxon Bar as a fourth event being used for rankings starting this year.

The Armlifting Professional League based in Russia, which is our parent organization, has the SB, RT, AA, and Saxon Bar as its four official implements and then adds other implements in and out to spice things up. Worlds has those 4 events plus the IM Hub and Bear Grip Excalibur (similar to the FBBC jug but with a flange at the bottom near the clip). I feel like these 6 implements do a better job of representing more "all around" grip strength than just the RT, AA, and SB for sure. I suck at thick bar so I would prefer to see either the RT or AA get swapped out for something else too. When we talked about setting up the rankings and having our "official" events for it, I voted to have all 6 events in since it was more like the world championships but the feedback I got was that it might become a barrier to entry to have new promoters have to buy 6 implements instead of just 3. 

As for the idea that Armlifting is Ironmind's sport, I know it's going to be hard to change that idea. The APL in Russia only has a few manufacturers in it or who will ship to it - Ironmind, Bear Grip, and Silarukov (the last 2 located in Russia). Bear Grip has a good relationship with APL but I don't think Silarukov does. I'm sure there are lots of other US makers of grip equipment who could get their foot in the door with APL and eventually get their equipment used at Worlds, but I don't know how many of them have reached out to APL to see about starting that partnership. Might be as easy as an email! I'd love to use some Arm Assassin, FBBC, or Barrel equipment at worlds!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, climber511 said:

At this years Gripmas we held an "Armlifting" competition along with the Gripsport comp.- my small attempt at pulling the two organizations together. There is friction between the two organizations.  My only gripe with Armlifting is having 2 Fat Bar events and no pinch as their devault events.  IronMind does sell a pinch device so availability is not in question.  Maybe in the future this might change, one can hope.  I've worked the Olympic lifting on the Arnold main stage - if anything the time frame as described by Clay was being generous - times are VERY strictly enforced.  As to who was invited - my list or your list might be different but remember - this is Arm Lifting's list - and their contest.  Looking at it I can't see anyone who doesn't belong.  There are certainly other worthy competitors who did not get an invite - but that can be said of any invite only contest.

Hi Chris! Just wanted to post a quick note to let you and everyone else know that Armlifting USA is including the Sorinex Saxon Bar as a fourth event being used for rankings starting this year.

The Armlifting Professional League based in Russia, which is our parent organization, has the SB, RT, AA, and Saxon Bar as its four official implements and then adds other implements in and out to spice things up. Worlds has those 4 events plus the IM Hub and Bear Grip Excalibur (similar to the FBBC jug but with a flange at the bottom near the clip). I feel like these 6 implements do a better job of representing more "all around" grip strength than just the RT, AA, and SB for sure. I suck at thick bar so I would prefer to see either the RT or AA get swapped out for something else too. When we talked about setting up the rankings and having our "official" events for it, I voted to have all 6 events in since it was more like the world championships but the feedback I got was that it might become a barrier to entry to have new promoters have to buy 6 implements instead of just 3. 

As for the idea that Armlifting is Ironmind's sport, I know it's going to be hard to change that idea. The APL in Russia only has a few manufacturers in it or who will ship to it - Ironmind, Bear Grip, and Silarukov (the last 2 located in Russia). Bear Grip has a good relationship with APL but I don't think Silarukov does. I'm sure there are lots of other US makers of grip equipment who could get their foot in the door with APL and eventually get their equipment used at Worlds, but I don't know how many of them have reached out to APL to see about starting that partnership. Might be as easy as an email! I'd love to use some Arm Assassin, FBBC, or Barrel equipment at worlds!

• Like 1