Arnold Sports Festival 2019 - Competitor list

Mateus

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Tanner won lightweight and tied Carl and Andrew for overall.

Way to hang with the big boys Tanner!

Which means he won the Overall on bodyweight. He also locked out more than anyone else with 115, but dropped it.  😮

And Eric also pulled a 110 for that four-way tie for heaviest lift  

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Which means he won the Overall on bodyweight. He also locked out more than anyone else with 115, but dropped it.  😮

And Eric also pulled a 110 for that four-way tie for heaviest lift  

Awesome.  Missed Eric's.  Great job everyone. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, Mateus said:

Thanks, Eric. I know the list. So everone who has achieved greatness in gripsport gets an invitation? I think on the website are only listes the official invitations, because evrybody there has won something or has a record. But i think there is an unofficial list, too. I don't know Andreas Brixa. Why is not Juha Harju or Gabriel Sum invited? I think Tommy jennings is there, too? Maybe the grip guys can post a full list here. Would be interesting to make bets or discussions about he guys who will win.

Mateus

What means "invited" here. Competitors had to pay flights, hotel etc. for themself. Juha and Gabriel probably just decided by themself not to go. Quite expensive travel for a grip comp.

Lightweight division - 1.Tanner Merkle 2. Adam Glass 3. Riccardo Magni  Great job U.S.A.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Lightweight division - 1.Tanner Merkle 2. Adam Glass 3. Riccardo Magni  Great job U.S.A.

Congrats!  And Tanner did it with an injured back.  Wow!

Jedd got 2nd on SB and 2nd overall.  Good thing they finally invited him.  😁

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 5

Heavyweight division 1. Carl Myerscough 2. Jedd Johnson 3. Jesse Pynnone  Congrats men!!

• Like 4

On 2/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, Mateus said:

i found this video:

Are there more people who lift over 220kg at the arnolds? Did not know he is german. I thought finnish.

Official List:
RICCARDO MAGNI
TANNER MERKLE
ANDREW DURNIAT
ADAM GLASS
THOMAS LARSEN
ERIC ROUSSIN
JOUNI MAHONEN
CLAY EDGIN
CARL MYERSCOUGH
ODD HAUGEN
JESSE PYNNONEN
BRYAN HUNSAKER
ARTO JORONEN
HARRI TOLONEN
JOHN MACHNIK
JEDD JOHNSON
JENN DONATELLI TIBBENHAM
AMY WATTLES
NICOLE HIGHAM
AUTUMN COTE
MERVI PEKKI
JULIA WILLIAMS
KENDRA DANIEL

Unofficial List:
Andreas Brixa
Andreas Hordan

I hope that the grip guys put the 2 unofficial guys on the website soon

Mateus

Another crap set up (nothing wrong with his lift as such though). Notice how the plates continue to rotate at lockout. Makes the lift significantly easier if spin lockers are not used or used but not tightened properly. Loose plates make the lockout particularly 'easy'.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Another crap set up (nothing wrong with his lift as such though). Notice how the plates continue to rotate at lockout. Makes the lift significantly easier if spin lockers are not used or used but not tightened properly. Loose plates make the lockout particularly 'easy'.

The plates continue to rotate BECAUSE of the spin locks. They were used and were tightened, see Jedd's video for a better illustration.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

The video of Andreas above is not from the Arnolds.

2 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

The plates continue to rotate BECAUSE of the spin locks. They were used and were tightened, see Jedd's video for a better illustration.

That's not quite how it works. You need an implement to lift the plates off the ground when you tighten the spin collars to do it properly. Hardly anyone does it which is why plates may rotate quite a bit.

2 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

The video of Andreas above is not from the Arnolds.

I was commenting on the video itself, not any particular competition/organiser.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the plates were secured in the right manner at the Arnolds.

• Like 1

Good to hear and again my initial comment was referring to the linked video, not Arnolds. 

24 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I rarely take jabs at you Mikeal since i mostly agree with 95% of what you say.

however, just wanted to hear your thoughts on the fact that the Arnold grip comp that just took place certainly did tighten the plates down to your standards. They lifted the plates off the floor, and took extra caution when tightening the plates with very well made locking collars. And at times even pulled the collars to retighten them after already tightening them because they were not satisfied with the tightness. They basically went to extremes (in a good way) i would say, to make sure the plates were indeed locked down to the best of their ability on every lift.

Now, onto traditional Tommy’ness! 😎

and since i am anti locking collars on the axle, for no other reason that it burns unnecessary time, i thought id also point out-

Did you happen to notice that the axle lifts with proper locking collars did not appear to effect or change anyones axle numbers when compared to comp lifts that are run without locking collars on the axle event?

jussayin. 😘

locking collars schmocking collars.... 

I was going to mention this too.  In the vid, you can see them lifting the weights off the ground and really cranking the collars tight, but nobody's numbers seemed to be affected that much, if any.  The feedback I got from people that lifted was that the brand new axle (vs. a well seasoned one) might have cost them a little.  But everyone's numbers seemed to be in line with what they normally pull.  I don't think the collars make nearly as much difference as we have all been led to believe. 🤔

Of course, the adrenaline of being on that big stage could have offset the 5-10 kg difference that has been claimed for collars, as well as the slick axle.  Or, it's just not that big a deal.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle

In my case the difference is about 5% pulling a set up with properly tightened plates and using no collars at all (plates with the same diameter). I suspect the difference might be somewhat less if you have very strong wrists.

Many would lift more on a big stage with the extra adrenaline so its one more variable to consider.

Unlike some I found no difference in difficulty pulling a new vs well used axle. 

You almost got me there Tommy but not quite.

No people they did not tightened the collars very well at Arnolds by the look of it (I just realized after scrutinizing the video). Look at Jedd at 0:30 how easily he twists the bar. I went straight out and set up my axle with spin collars tightened LGC style and I could not twist it at all. So no it is considerably harder if you tightened the collars properly. 

You need to use one of these and lower the weight very gently the last bit. Otherwise you have to tighten the collars again. If you do this you know how hard it is should you ever enter the LGC competition. It makes the axle feel more like a single solid unit.

20190305_205212.jpg

My own spin collars are btw certified Ivanko.

Lifting the set up by hand one end at the time in an effort to secure the collars tightly (which I suspect they did at Arnolds) does not work in this context. It does not take much for the collars to loosen just a little bit which is enough to loose that solid bar feeling.

When you rep it the solid bell 'feel' is lost after the first rep.

My comments had little to do with the overall running of the comp. (which I did not witness) but is more a reflection on the somewhat distorted view of many on what constitutes 'tightly secured spin collars'. Also, the vast majority here have implied it makes little to no difference and they are wrong. I suspect many just like to argue as opposed to get down to the basement and try to duplicate the results. If you have secured quality collars tightly in the true meaning of the word, the bar will not rotate if you grip it while the plates are still on the ground. If it rotates the lift will be easier and it is what it is. This observation is independent of the consensus view on the GB.

29 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

My comments had little to do with the overall running of the comp. (which I did not witness) but is more a reflection on the somewhat distorted view of many on what constitutes 'tightly secured spin collars'. Also, the vast majority here have implied it makes little to no difference and they are wrong. I suspect many just like to argue as opposed to get down to the basement and try to duplicate the results. If you have secured quality collars tightly in the true meaning of the word, the bar will not rotate if you grip it while the plates are still on the ground. If it rotates the lift will be easier and it is what it is. This observation is independent of the consensus view on the GB.

I can tell you that at the philly Vise grip ciking challenge, it felt a lot different to me. And I wondered why. Must be they tightened them down more there. Just felt more unruly. 

4 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

What do you guys think the original Appolons train Wheels was equivalent to on the 2 inch iron mind  axle? I know the wheels ade not a full lift  from the floor. Your original wheels were 366 pounds on the 1.93 inch Diameter bar with the wheels affixed to the bar. What do you think the weight would be equivalent to for a full axle dead lift with a 2 inch  Iron mind axle. Would it still feel like the 366?

@Joseph Sullivan the bar on the original is also far from straight which figures into the challenge of the lift. I have no guestimate how it would compare as the factors you mentioned plus the bent bar make it a different lift in my mind.

1 minute ago, acorn said:

@Joseph Sullivan the bar on the original is also far from straight which figures into the challenge of the lift. I have no guestimate how it would compare as the factors you mentioned plus the bent bar make it a different lift in my mind.

What do you think it would be if the bar was straight. Bent bar would probably be easier