Arnold Sports Festival 2019 - Competitor list

Mateus

https://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/sports-and-events/strength-sports/armlifting/

i just found out that there is a grip competition at the Arnolds this year. why is this not active in social media or here on the board? Can everyone attend on this competition? I was on the grip guys website with their invitation lists. But there are a lot of more guys attending. I heard from someone from germany who is going to break the apollons axle World record! So everybody can join? But how?

maybe you guys can post a full list of the people who are competing at the Arnolds?

thank you
Mateus

The list of competitors on this page is mostly accurate:

https://www.gripguys.net/arnold-armlifting-championships

I know that Lorna Patton will also be in the woman’s division and Alexander Filimonov will also be in the 100 kg class. I understand Andreas Brixa will be competing too (axle only). There may be one or two more, but that should be it.

In order to compete, you had to receive an invitation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

The list of competitors on this page is mostly accurate:

https://www.gripguys.net/arnold-armlifting-championships

I know that Lorna Patton will also be in the woman’s division and Alexander Filimonov will also be in the 100 kg class. I understand Andreas Brixa will be competing too (axle only). There may be one or two more, but that should be it.

In order to compete, you had to receive an invitation.

Thanks, Eric. I know the list. So everone who has achieved greatness in gripsport gets an invitation? I think on the website are only listes the official invitations, because evrybody there has won something or has a record. But i think there is an unofficial list, too. I don't know Andreas Brixa. Why is not Juha Harju or Gabriel Sum invited? I think Tommy jennings is there, too? Maybe the grip guys can post a full list here. Would be interesting to make bets or discussions about he guys who will win.

Mateus

Mateus, I encourage you to read the thread linked below. It should answer many of your questions.

Clay Edgin and Riccardo Magni are the two people who can provide definitive information. I don’t think they’re on the GripBoard everyday, but you can reach them through the Grip Guys website or Facebook.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Mateus, I encourage you to read the thread linked below. It should answer many of your questions.

Clay Edgin and Riccardo Magni are the two people who can provide definitive information. I don’t think they’re on the GripBoard everyday, but you can reach them through the Grip Guys website or Facebook.

Thank you again, Eric. I thought The Grip Guys were founder of the Gripboard. i google Andreas Brixa. I think that is the guy my friend told me to break the world record. So he is in the over 100kg class and if Mike Burke or Alexey Tyukalov is not there, then he wins the class. You, Andrew, Adam, Tanner. Hard fight. Is Gil Goodman attending? He is invited.

Edited by Mateus

I don’t believe Gil is attending. I think he would have done very well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Roussin said:

I don’t believe Gil is attending. I think he would have done very well.

Yes, of course. There are a lot of great guys out there who not compete. And I hope there are better judging at the arnolds than the guys who watched Martins lift.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:12 AM, Tommy J. said:

I did not make the Arnold, but did qualify for worlds in Russia. But, im gonna need to seriously step my thickbar game up to be competitive. Maybe next year I can be more of a threat. This year not so much.

thank you for the kind mention though!

Your Gripper video years ago with Big J is a classic!

• Like 1

i found this video:

Are there more people who lift over 220kg at the arnolds? Did not know he is german. I thought finnish.

Official List:
RICCARDO MAGNI
TANNER MERKLE
ANDREW DURNIAT
ADAM GLASS
THOMAS LARSEN
ERIC ROUSSIN
JOUNI MAHONEN
CLAY EDGIN
CARL MYERSCOUGH
ODD HAUGEN
JESSE PYNNONEN
BRYAN HUNSAKER
ARTO JORONEN
HARRI TOLONEN
JOHN MACHNIK
JEDD JOHNSON
JENN DONATELLI TIBBENHAM
AMY WATTLES
NICOLE HIGHAM
AUTUMN COTE
MERVI PEKKI
JULIA WILLIAMS
KENDRA DANIEL

Unofficial List:
Andreas Brixa
Andreas Hordan

I hope that the grip guys put the 2 unofficial guys on the website soon

Mateus

• Like 2

I found this Online.

Now i know why he is not on the competitor list. Because Arnold himself invited him. I think even the grip guys don't know that. They said, that the two best of the country are invited.

Andreas Hordan follows the invitation of "Arnie"

At the end of February, 55-year-old Griffkraftler from Wittstock will travel to the Arnold Classic in Columbus, Ohio, at the invitation of Arnold Schwarzenegger to compete against the strongest men in the world. The self-proclaimed Bird of Paradise has the heart in the right place - as shown by his relationship with the brooch Broschka.

Shaking his head, Andreas Hordan responds to the statement that one would rather not cross his path in the dark. "Oh, that's nonsense. I'm just a bird of paradise, a guy, there must be something like that. But I do not do anything to anyone, "he emphasizes emphatically. In fact, one realizes in a personal conversation very quickly that the Wittstocker perhaps dances out of line, but has the heart in the right place. Again and again he calls his dog- a Shih Tzu named Broschka - to himself and says: "This is my darling, we are really inseparable."

But not everything that comes to the 55-year-olds between the fingers, remains undamaged. Hordan is one of the strongest men in Germany, especially in his parade discipline grip force, which he has been practicing professionally as a career changer for a year and a half, makes him so fast no one before. In his garage are dozens of horseshoes and iron bars - all bent, with his bare hands. So it is no coincidence that the owner of two tattoo studios in Wittstock and Neuruppin now has a great honor. At the invitation of Arnold Schwarzenegger, at the end of February, he will be drawn to the "Arnold Classic", a professional bodybuilding and weight training competition in the US state of Ohio.

That's the biggest thing for me. In 1981, I looked at a buddy in Berlin in very poor quality on an old Orion recorder "Conan the Barbarian" and saw the first time Arnold. That's where it all started, from that point on I started to train, so I came to the sport ", explains Andreas Hordan, for whom the participation in this event is a dream come true:" I really wanted to go there as a spectator , And now I'm even allowed to be on stage at the Convention Center at the age of 55. "For the annual competition, which was started by" Terminator "Arnold Schwarzenegger himself in 1989, the two strongest countries in each country qualify for each discipline.

"Even with video recordings that are circulating on the Internet, the organizers are aware of one. Then there is really only the world's best, the most brutal of all countries. Apparently, I'm one of them, "says a happy Hordan, who flies with his buddy Andreas Brixa Krefeld over the pond on 27 February. "I'm only on March 3, but you have to acclimatize," said Hordan.

Even at a young age, the trained installer discovered martial arts for himself. "I always wanted to become the strongest man in the world. Instead of fairy tales, I watched Tarzan and Spartacus, "he jokes. About boxes and karate he came to strength training, where 1990 began the career to mature. "It started with the strongest men in Europe, where I stood as a spectator in the background and ate a pizza. When asked if anyone in the audience dared to come on stage, I went up and put a 135-kilogram tree trunk over my head, "Hordan reveals that shortly thereafter he received an invitation to the national title fights, where he was fifth straight, received.

In dozens of disciplines, Hordan proved his strength in dozens of events - including the "Strongman" - and even became World and European champion in Powerlifting. "I completed my last high-performance competition at the age of 50 and sprinted a few meters on my back with more than 300 kilos. But one calms down, which is why I have now specialized in the gripping force, "said Hordan, who can squeeze just under 100 kilograms for 14 seconds with the Gripper, a Silver Bullet. "It's even hard for me to explain this sport to a layman. Looking for more or less the man with the strongest handshake in the world. I want to get into the top five of the 'Arnold Classic', hold the Gripper for about 15 seconds. "
Norwegian Odd Haugen as a sporty role model

Hordan himself comes from a sporting family, once drove with his cousin Christoph Speedway. "At the age of 95, my grandmother was still riding from Heiligengrabe to Pritzwalk for a bike ride. And mom is still running regularly. "But not only the closest family members are a role model:" I'm impressed Odd Haugen. He is almost 70 years old and belongs to the best in the world. Gripping power can be done until old age. If nothing works, the forearms are functional. "And even if it comes to an end sometime -" Paperback "remains true to the daddy.

Next year i compete to. Because i think im the strongest of Romania.
Mateus

Edited by Mateus

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 7:21 AM, Mateus said:

Your Gripper video years ago with Big J is a classic!

I've watched that one a few times!

At this years Gripmas we held an "Armlifting" competition along with the Gripsport comp.- my small attempt at pulling the two organizations together. There is friction between the two organizations.  My only gripe with Armlifting is having 2 Fat Bar events and no pinch as their devault events.  IronMind does sell a pinch device so availability is not in question.  Maybe in the future this might change, one can hope.  I've worked the Olympic lifting on the Arnold main stage - if anything the time frame as described by Clay was being generous - times are VERY strictly enforced.  As to who was invited - my list or your list might be different but remember - this is Arm Lifting's list - and their contest.  Looking at it I can't see anyone who doesn't belong.  There are certainly other worthy competitors who did not get an invite - but that can be said of any invite only contest.

7 minutes ago, climber511 said:

At this years Gripmas we held an "Armlifting" competition along with the Gripsport comp.- my small attempt at pulling the two organizations together. There is friction between the two organizations.  My only gripe with Armlifting is having 2 Fat Bar events and no pinch as their devault events.  IronMind does sell a pinch device so availability is not in question.  Maybe in the future this might change, one can hope.  I've worked the Olympic lifting on the Arnold main stage - if anything the time frame as described by Clay was being generous - times are VERY strictly enforced.  As to who was invited - my list or your list might be different but remember - this is Arm Lifting's list - and their contest.  Looking at it I can't see anyone who doesn't belong.  There are certainly other worthy competitors who did not get an invite - but that can be said of any invite only contest.

I think it’s important to mention that several others were invited, but not all could attend.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, climber511 said:

At this years Gripmas we held an "Armlifting" competition along with the Gripsport comp.- my small attempt at pulling the two organizations together. There is friction between the two organizations.  My only gripe with Armlifting is having 2 Fat Bar events and no pinch as their devault events.  

Thanks to you allowing the Armlifting at Gripmas at least 4 of us are going to Russia to compete at Worlds (3 from my gym, so shameless plug there). There were also more that qualified but are not attending. As far as the "fat bar events" those are the only things I am decent at lol. Although, I will say I am liking the excalibur event. Training with arm assassin's cannon so hopefully it is pretty similar. I can't speak for Clay or Riccardo but I believe the Apollons axle, rolling thunder and silver bullet are the 3 main things that Ironmind grip training is known for and that was the reason for choosing the events. Also, imo it is more exciting to the audience to see 200+ lbs on the Rolling Thunder than sub 100lbs on the hub or blockbuster.

14 minutes ago, Saff said:

Thanks to you allowing the Armlifting at Gripmas at least 4 of us are going to Russia to compete at Worlds (3 from my gym, so shameless plug there). There were also more that qualified but are not attending. As far as the "fat bar events" those are the only things I am decent at lol. Although, I will say I am liking the excalibur event. Training with arm assassin's cannon so hopefully it is pretty similar. I can't speak for Clay or Riccardo but I believe the Apollons axle, rolling thunder and silver bullet are the 3 main things that Ironmind grip training is known for and that was the reason for choosing the events. Also, imo it is more exciting to the audience to see 200+ lbs on the Rolling Thunder than sub 100lbs on the hub or blockbuster.

Congratulations on qualifying for Russia!  What an opportunity! You brought some very strong people with you from your gym - and darn nice guys to boot.  I wish that you all do well - don't worry about anything except hitting some PR's and enjoying the trip.  ArmLifting's roots I feel come more from Strongman than from Grip Sport - which is why I think events that allow bigger weight and a "better show" were chosen.  That and it's always going to be looked at as Iron Mind's Grip Sport.  I'm always going to be an "all around" Grip Sport experience kind of guy I guess.  That and I'm a better pincher so would like to see that as an event so I might have a chance to visit Russia myself :)   You all have fun!

• Like 4

They could add Little Big Horn in there too...I wouldnt be mad

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/20/2019 at 6:12 PM, climber511 said:

choosing

On 2/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, Saff said:

On 2/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, Saff said:

Totally agree! Don’t care for the small lifts like hub or blockbuster. They aren’t as impressive IMO And not very exciting for the general public. Many may disagree, but that’s what opinions are for. Congrats on your qualifying for worlds in Russia big guy. I had to decline mine due to not wanting to travel on a plane so far with sciatica. Would not be fun. Good luck! Be safe! And have fun!! 

PS. Sorry Chris, this was for @Saff , didn’t look close enough and see it was on your comment quote. It’s very late and I am tired. 💤

Edited by Guest

OK, the games have started but there is still no official starter list. That's curious. Is there a livestream?

28 minutes ago, Mateus said:

OK, the games have started but there is still no official starter list. That's curious. Is there a livestream?

Garagegymlifemedia on Instagram will do a live stream. Rolling thunder today starts at 10:30am Columbus Ohio time.

5 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Garagegymlifemedia on Instagram will do a live stream. Rolling thunder today starts at 10:30am Columbus Ohio time.

Thanks for the info!

I have seen the Rolling Thunder event on Youtube. Thanks, @Jedd Johnson

i don't want another referre thread... but... please do a better referree job WITHOUT smartphone and WITH optical hand down signal. Watch out the old @Juha Harju contests where he is the referre. That was always a perfect job.

And now all the best for The Axle!

Mateus

Edited by Mateus
  • Like 2

Tanner won lightweight and tied Carl and Andrew for overall.

Way to hang with the big boys Tanner!

• Like 1