2019 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

21 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Bader will be hosting a King Kong venue in Dubai again this year!

We're up to 24 venues in 12 countries and 4 continents, and there may still be a couple more venues confirmed in the coming weeks...

@Eric Roussin would it be possible to keep an updated list on the initial post on the first page? That way there's a running list and folks don't have to sort through all 9+ pages to find the venue list.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

210 last year. It goes up every year. With the addition of a youth division, more women’s classes, and more venues this year, I’m confident we’ll hit 250+.

Although I would love it more if there could be standardization of implements so that the comparisons among venues were more reliable (we all know how much difference seasoning can make), I still think it is an absolutely awesome event that achieves lots of goals:  spreading the awareness of the sport, including folks of all sizes and ages, socializing, competing against self and others, and maybe some more I am missing.  But it is great of you and everyone who hosts and helps, and I am glad it is growing.

I expect to be at Jedd's venue this year.  Looking forward to it!

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Although I would love it more if there could be standardization of implements so that the comparisons among venues were more reliable (we all know how much difference seasoning can make), I still think it is an absolutely awesome event that achieves lots of goals:  spreading the awareness of the sport, including folks of all sizes and ages, socializing, competing against self and others, and maybe some more I am missing.  But it is great of you and everyone who hosts and helps, and I am glad it is growing.

I expect to be at Jedd's venue this year.  Looking forward to it!

And my personal goal, since I am not the elite sort who would win one of the fixed goals:  be top half in my weight class, even though I am over 50; be top half in Masters, even though I am under 180 pounds.  Neither goal is a shoo in but both are reasonable and possible, so I'm on it.

Actually, is there a masters category?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

And my personal goal, since I am not the elite sort who would win one of the fixed goals:  be top half in my weight class, even though I am over 50; be top half in Masters, even though I am under 180 pounds.  Neither goal is a shoo in but both are reasonable and possible, so I'm on it.

Actually, is there a masters category?

Yes, same as last year. Open weight class for anyone 50 years of age or older.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, devinhoo said:

@Eric Roussin would it be possible to keep an updated list on the initial post on the first page? That way there's a running list and folks don't have to sort through all 9+ pages to find the venue list.

Done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Mike Saffell will be hosting a King Kong venue in Bethesda, Ohio.

We're up to 25 venues!

• Like 1

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Rob McMurren will be hosting a King Kong venue in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

26 venues and counting!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Where’s Mexico, Central and South America at?? Can it be no one south of Texas has a good grip?? Probably 🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

• Haha 1

What's the sign up situation? Hadn't planned on going, but I can probably make that drive to Ft Worth.

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

Where’s Mexico, Central and South America at?? Can it be no one south of Texas has a good grip?? Probably 🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

You would think they would if they are making 3 inch diameter burritos and Chalupas! The grip strength to hold on to them bad boys and not have the contents fall out  is WORLD CLASS! 

33 minutes ago, wobbler said:

What's the sign up situation? Hadn't planned on going, but I can probably make that drive to Ft Worth.

Hey bro pm me your email and I’ll put you in the loop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamTGlass said:

Even more impressive with “NO CHALK”!!

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

@Eric Roussin  Which locations are holding their events on separate days?  Thanks.

The promoters for the following locations have indicated that they will be hosting the contest before the main contest date of October 26th:

October 19 - Detroit, MI - Andrew Pantke

October 19 - Tallahassee, FL - Nigel Blackburn

October 20 - Waterloo, ON - Rob McMurren

October 22 - Bethesda, OH - Mike Saffell

October 23 - Dubai - Bader Alawadhi

I believe this to be the complete list. This said, I recommend reaching out to individual promoters directly to confirm 100%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question:  if somebody paid two entry fees, would they be able to compete at the same contest as both a right and a left hander?  For instance: I go to Wyalusing and compete as Rindo right and Rindo left on the same day. 

This is one of the few contests where this would even be possible, since it has all one handed events.  Just a thought for people who's hands are similar in strength or just want to see where they stack up with their weak hand.

Since this is probably going to be the last contest I ever train for, I've been toying with the idea just to see where each hand stacks up against the rest of the world.

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Question:  if somebody paid two entry fees, would they be able to compete at the same contest as both a right and a left hander?  For instance: I go to Wyalusing and compete as Rindo right and Rindo left on the same day. 

This is one of the few contests where this would even be possible, since it has all one handed events.  Just a thought for people who's hands are similar in strength or just want to see where they stack up with their weak hand.

Since this is probably going to be the last contest I ever train for, I've been toying with the idea just to see where each hand stacks up against the rest of the world.

This is amazing..and should be a contest outside of KK. 

To up the ante and really bring in the big guys. This contest should only include stubs, finnish ball and shallow hub. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

For the record, that was a 100% serious question. 

I don't have an answer for that yet. still thinking it over. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

For the record, that was a 100% serious question. 

I like the idea..seriously. This could be a fun alternate format..

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

Andrew and I have discussed it, and we won't be allowing this in an official capacity for King Kong. This said, if a venue promoter is open to letting a competitor do all lifts twice, once with the right hand and once with the left, he/she can do so. But we will only be counting one set of scores, and the competitor would need to choose which scores (left or right) will count BEFORE beginning to compete. Right now we already allow competitors to switch hands freely, so this could only hinder a competitor's placing in the contest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Andrew and I have discussed it, and we won't be allowing this in an official capacity for King Kong. This said, if a venue promoter is open to letting a competitor do all lifts twice, once with the right hand and once with the left, he/she can do so. But we will only be counting one set of scores, and the competitor would need to choose which scores (left or right) will count BEFORE beginning to compete. Right now we already allow competitors to switch hands freely, so this could only hinder a competitor's placing in the contest.

Totally get it.  Thanks for the rrsponse guys!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:31 PM, Eric Roussin said:

The promoters for the following locations have indicated that they will be hosting the contest before the main contest date of October 26th:

October 19 - Detroit, MI - Andrew Pantke

October 20 - Waterloo, ON - Rob McMurren

October 22 - Bethesda, OH - Mike Saffell

October 23 - Dubai - Bader Alawadhi

I believe this to be the complete list. This said, I recommend reaching out to individual promoters directly to confirm 100%.

Thanks Eric!

question after reading the rulebook:

"...One piece lifting Suit is allowed"...

the literally translation/understanding in german is: using a singleply lifting suit is allowed. 🤔

question on the DubHub:

we have two dubhubs. maximum fastened screw. but the implements itself are still rotating on the  implements loadingpin adapter because to big weldings. so we have a difficult in finding the grip

is the rotation part of the game? or can we file down the weldings for proper fitting?

It shouldn't rotate, for a quick fix try putting a piece of thick cardboard (cut from a box) between the two parts.

Edit: also check that the screw head is still fixed to the loading part. If not, you could glue it and/or use an Allen wrench to make sure it allows the thumb screw to tighten fully.

Edited by wobbler