2019 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

1 hour ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Can the athlete brace off his leg with his free hand for King Kong?

Yes

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 3:23 AM, Mike Rinderle said:

No, I believe he was talking about IM disallowing his WR because the horn we used had chalk on it.  Nothing about KK. Just that this IM rule change wouldn't affect KK because it is to a 6" height, so no world records anyway.

but you can still lift through the 6" to a full lockout 

Just now, corefire said:

but you can still lift through the 6" to a full lockout 

And risk missing a lift in the biggest contest of the year?  

talking with thomas larson about blocks i checked alternatives. using blocks on the lbh results in one reason: the long total length of loading pin + omni adpapter + carabiner + horne. then you have a 24" long impliment. much difficult for tiny people to use legpower.

the lbh direct attached on the fbbc loading pin will result in a total length from only 18.5". imho much more ideal and good choice to avoid blocks

20190306_203223.jpg

20190306_203239.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

And risk missing a lift in the biggest contest of the year?  

depends of the mind of an athlet. missing a lift in a yearly competition or get a open all time worldrecord 

On 2/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, Squeezus said:

From the BSS website:

DubHub

The apparatus must be fixed to the loading pin using the quick release pin. The hub must be fastened to the base using the nut and must not be loose. 

This is a one handed lift. The lifter’s hand may not reach around or below the base plate or make contact with the inside surface of the hub.

The hub must be lifted approximately level and neither the hub nor the lifting hand may make any contact with the body during the lift.

The athlete must lift the apparatus and touch the height indicator to the crossbar, which is set for a 7.5” lift. The 7.5" distance from indicator to crossbar must be demonstrated in the video using a ruler or tape measure. The lifter does not have to be erect upon completion of the attempt. If a crossbar is not used, the weight must be lifted to lockout or to a height demonstrably higher than 7.5".

The lifter must lower the weight under control. Use of any grip aids besides magnesium carbonate chalk is not permitted. Any alteration of the gripping surface of the device is not permitted. 

The total weight lifted must be weighed and displayed in video submissions unless the video is taken from a sanctioned event. Witnessed lifts with no video submission will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

@Squeezus Excuse my stupid question, but are there any requirements for finger placement on the DubHub? Should the fingers be placed just like for IM Hub or athletes could grab the device in any way (e. g., in Excalibur style)?

There are no requirements for finger placement. Excalibur style is allowed.

• Like 2

@Alexander Andreev As Eric says, any style of grip is allowed as long as the lifter hand does not reach around or below the baseplate or inside the hub.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, corefire said:

depends of the mind of an athlet. missing a lift in a yearly competition or get a open all time worldrecord 

My mindset in any competition I am in is to do the absolute best I can in that competition.  Any fleeting record that someone will eventually beat or Ironmind will change the rules on so your lift no longer counts would come in a distant second for me.  Nobody can lift to lockout (and pause at the top for a full second) what they could lift to 6".  So going for the record would hurt your performance in the contest.  If your mindset is more toward Ironmind records than beating your opponents, then I guess you could choose to hurt yourself in the contest.  In KK, you have no idea what other people lifted, so every pound could be the difference between a win or a loss.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My mindset in any competition I am in is to do the absolute best I can in that competition.  Any fleeting record that someone will eventually beat or Ironmind will change the rules on so your lift no longer counts would come in a distant second for me.  Nobody can lift to lockout (and pause at the top for a full second) what they could lift to 6".  So going for the record would hurt your performance in the contest.  If your mindset is more toward Ironmind records than beating your opponents, then I guess you could choose to hurt yourself in the contest.  In KK, you have no idea what other people lifted, so every pound could be the difference between a win or a loss.

Speak the truth, or make your peace some other way! 100% agreed RINDO LEEEEEEE

37 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Or, of course, if you're short like me, you are sitting there like, yeah, I can lock that out and hold it, sure, but no way I'm reaching that crossbar!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Or, of course, if you're short like me, you are sitting there like, yeah, I can lock that out and hold it, sure, but no way I'm reaching that crossbar!

You just need to embrace your inner Gene Simmons Vinnie!

000100000001007.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Speak the truth, or make your peace some other way! 100% agreed RINDO LEEEEEEE

Yup.  I'd rather be Superbowl champ than have the record for most yards thrown in a season.  But that's just me... and TB12.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yup.  I'd rather be Superbowl champ than have the record for most yards thrown in a season.  But that's just me... and TB12.

Agreed!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

out of 373 competitions i have won over 75%. the last thing i need are more titles or trophies to dust. everyone realizes sometime that only the hard facts, the pure performance in numbers counts.

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently reaching out to prospective venue hosts. The locations will be announced in the coming weeks and months as they are confirmed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

We are currently reaching out to prospective venue hosts. The locations will be announced in the coming weeks and months as they are confirmed.

Thanks Eric 😊👍🏻

Are there usually any in the U.K.? 

Edited by Sensitive Guy

6 hours ago, Sensitive Guy said:

Thanks Eric 😊👍🏻

Are there usually any in the U.K.? 

Yes, in London.

• Thanks 1

Here are the confirmed venues and promoters (so far):

North America:

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - Eric Roussin
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - Jason Steeves
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada - Brad Provick
Detroit, Michigan, USA - Andrew Pantke
Woodbury, Minnesota, USA - Allen Heineck and Joel Dircks
Nashville, Tennessee, USA - Gil Goodman
Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, USA - Jedd Johnson
Newbury Park, California, USA - Riccardo Magni and Odd Haugen
Millersville, Missouri, USA - John McCarter
Tallahassee, Florida, USA - Nigel Blackburn
Colorado, USA - Rachel Crass Wood and Jason Wood
Maui, Hawaii, USA - John Oka
Fort Worth, Texas, USA - Adam Glass

Europe:

London, England - Jerome Bloom
Norway - Thomas Larsen
Iisalmi, Finland - Jouni Mähönen
Vantaa, Finland - Harri Tolonen
Austria - Patsy and Sirko Petermann
St. Petersburg, Russia - Alexander Andreev
Germany - Christoph Koch
Ukraine - Ivan Pupchenko
Italy - Aldo Alberico

Asia:

Dubai, UAE - Bader Alawadhi

Oceania:

Melbourne, Australia - Andrew Lea

I’m still waiting to hear back from several promoters, so I expect the list to grow over the coming weeks.

Don’t see a location near you? Consider hosting a venue! Contact me for details. eroussin@rogers.com

I will soon be creating a global Facebook event page on which general contest information will be posted. Individual venues are encouraged to create their own event pages with specific venue details.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good news! Rachel Crass Wood and Jason Wood will be hosting a venue in Colorado. Not only that, they have offered to sponsor three additional women's classes. So this year's King Kong contest will include the five following classes for women: 57 kg, 72 kg, 84 kg, and 84+ kg in the open division and an open weight women's masters category, for anyone 50 years of age or older.

• Like 5

@Eric Roussin @Andrew P The important question about pins. I have all the three authentic pins (FBBC, BSS, IronMind), but if a disaster happens and the pin will be broken during the event, could it be possible to change the broken pin to the one from another producer (e.g. Otevoima, Silarukov or Bear-grip)?
Or it is stictly prohibited to use the pins from another vendors?

3 hours ago, Alexander Andreev said:

@Eric Roussin @Andrew P The important question about pins. I have all the three authentic pins (FBBC, BSS, IronMind), but if a disaster happens and the pin will be broken during the event, could it be possible to change the broken pin to the one from another producer (e.g. Otevoima, Silarukov or Bear-grip)?
Or it is stictly prohibited to use the pins from another vendors?

This is fine as long as they meet the size specifications listed in the rules document.

• Like 1