2019 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

45 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

If we are putting smaller guys on blocks to hit hight on the crossbar, then guess what, it STILL aint fair.

Agreed.  I dont know that there is a perfectly "fair" way to resolve this.  I think each promoter has to look at what is the most fair for the most competitors and run with it.

There are good arguments on both sides as to why one is better than the other.  I don't think anyone (I know I'm not) is trying to argue with you that the optics of a lockout lift (done properly) are better than lifting something to a bar 6-8 inches off the ground.  Unfortunately, I don't know how you would regulate that a lift is to lockout, but has to be a certain height, unless you are under 5'9" tall, and your arms are shorter than a certain length.  Then you are allowed to lift it 2" shorter, etc... 

Personally, I like lock outs.  But only if there was a way of making sure that the lockout heights weren't a joke.  Until we can come up with an easy way to do that, I think that cross bars are the best thing we have right now.  There may be a better way, but I haven't seen it yet.

Maybe it is to lockout but everyone has to stand on 12" boxes.  :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Also, if we are to tout crossbar as ultimate fairness, then why are we not striving to keep things fair across the board and implement the “Fair Bar” application to all thickbar events that Roark touched base on way back when.

im not buying the fairness angle. Otherwise there would be more concetrated efforts on all fronts. Case in point, Fair Bar to name 1.

I'll be honest.  This is the first time I've heard of Fair Bar.  Complete ignorance on my part.

Different heights for different height people?

55 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I'll be honest.  This is the first time I've heard of Fair Bar.  Complete ignorance on my part.

Different heights for different height people?

Basically Roark said the bar ought to match the length of the hand.  So fingers touching for a guy with a 7" long hand and fingers touching on a larger diameter bar for a guy with a 9" long hand.  There is more to it, but the simplified version.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bencrush said:

Basically Roark said the bar ought to match the length of the hand.  So fingers touching for a guy with a 7" long hand and fingers touching on a larger diameter bar for a guy with a 9" long hand.  There is more to it, but the simplified version.

Oh I remember now.  Thanks Ben!  Sounds like you would need a ton of different sizes for every implement. 

@Eric Roussin @Andrew P

For the one handed flask, can we take a neutral grip on the flask for our attempts? Where the ulnar nerve of the wrist is facing the legs.

Or does it have to be directly overhand full boat.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

@Eric Roussin @Andrew P

For the one handed flask, can we take a neutral grip on the flask for our attempts? Where the ulnar nerve of the wrist is facing the legs.

We’all be using the standard Barrel Strength rules for the Flask, so I will defer to @Squeezus for the answer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

@Eric Roussin @Andrew P

Neutral is fine. Just make sure hand is approximately centered on the device, and no underhand. Full rules here: https://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/lift-guidelines

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Neutral is fine. Just make sure hand is approximately centered on the device, and no underhand. Full rules here: https://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/lift-guidelines

Thank you Gil for the quick reply!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

Thank you Gil for the quick reply!

But you must high pull it to at least shoulder height.  😁😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ironmind changed the rules these days. only brand new implimemts allowed. NO chalk on the impliment, wipe clean after every attempt.

i hope that will not be used in king kong on LBH because already ruleless with crossbar 🙂

Edited by corefire

On 2/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, Chez said:

I think it’s only the NN though. I can’t think of another event were people use blocks

we use mostly blocks on all impliments. so much better work with the legs, always bigger results for all athletes (from tiny to huge)

using blocks is easy to decide:

lack of lifting high: use blocks

not able to break the ground: use smaller or no blocks

SmartSelect_20190303-214021_Video Player.jpg

Edited by corefire
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, corefire said:

we use mostly blocks on all impliments. so much better work with the legs, always bigger results for all athletes (from tiny to huge)

using blocks is easy to decide:

lack of lifting high: use blocks

not able to break the ground: use smaller or no blocks

SmartSelect_20190303-214021_Video Player.jpg

I'm going to build a setup like yours this year for the Detroit location. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, corefire said:

Ironmind changed the rules these days. only brand new implimemts allowed. NO chalk on the impliment, wipe clean after every attempt.

i hope that will not be used in king kong on LBH because already ruleless with crossbar 🙂

I like chalk, Nah love chalk. It will be a hard sell to get me to stop using chalk. 😎

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, corefire said:

I just checked out most of the rules for the various implements. I did not see on any of them (except the Silver Bullet) that stated "only brand new implements allowed". 

Chalking your own hands is just fine. You just cannot apply chalk to the gadget itself. That too is stated in the rules as I just read them. 

Edited by Hubgeezer

Would be tough to make every promoter buy new equipment for every contest.  I think this is only for  world records to be counted.  

We are lifting to a crossbar for KK so no WR anyway.  I'm guessing everyone can use what they have.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle

14 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I just checked out most of the rules for the various implements. I did not see on any of them (except the Silver Bullet) that stated "only brand new implements allowed". 

Chalking your own hands is just fine. You just cannot apply chalk to the gadget itself. That too is stated in the rules as I just read them. 

lift lbh. after lift lbh falls down. scratch. repeat. repeat... now it's very grippy. modification or not? in the spirit of this rules for sure not.

SmartSelect_20190303-220211_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 2/20/2019 at 6:42 PM, Andrew P said:

The lifts will be to a height and the heights will depend on the event.

I've run enough contests both to lockout and to a crossbar to know that I'll always use a crossbar if it's possible. 

The 6” lift nullifies it being eligible for IM rules; and not sure when the rule went into effect but was nice and convenient that it was after my LBH record attempt bc it wasn’t on the printed rules we had. All of their records need to be reset or started over based on this new change. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, corefire said:

lift lbh. after lift lbh falls down. scratch. repeat. repeat... now it's very grippy. modification or not? in the spirit of this rules for sure not.

SmartSelect_20190303-220211_Samsung Internet.jpg

Most of these implements have changed over a 25 year history. There is a difference between "brand new" and "current-model". 

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

The 6” lift nullifies it being eligible for IM rules; and not sure when the rule went into effect but was nice and convenient that it was after my LBH record attempt bc it wasn’t on the printed rules we had. All of their records need to be reset or started over based on this new change. 

Fact.  But like the changing rules and implements for their other certs and WRs, I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Sorry you got screwed Luke.

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

If I'm understanding you right your reading into this too much. It had nothing to do with your record or anyone's records. After the resounding hatred I got for the Jug from the survey done post King Kong we decided to change the event. The LBH was picked because it knocked the poundage down to sub 250's and most of the promoters already had one. The 6" lift was done because all the KK lifts will be done to a height, if new rules need to be implicated so be it. If you still think this was selected to interfere with your record or such I'll discuss it with you on the phone not on a forum. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

If I'm understanding you right your reading into this too much. It had nothing to do with your record or anyone's records. After the resounding hatred I got for the Jug from the survey done post King Kong we decided to change the event. The LBH was picked because it knocked the poundage down to sub 250's and most of the promoters already had one. The 6" lift was done because all the KK lifts will be done to a height, if new rules need to be implicated so be it. If you still think this was selected to interfere with your record or such I'll discuss it with you on the phone not on a forum. 

No, I believe he was talking about IM disallowing his WR because the horn we used had chalk on it.  Nothing about KK. Just that this IM rule change wouldn't affect KK because it is to a 6" height, so no world records anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

No, I believe he was talking about IM disallowing his WR because the horn we used had chalk on it.  Nothing about KK. Just that this IM rule change wouldn't affect KK because it is to a 6" height, so no world records anyway.

Oh in that case my bad. Sometimes I hate the miscommunication on forums.  

Seriously they don't allow chalk anymore. My brain has no idea how to compute that one.  

• Like 3