2019 International King Kong Grip Challenge

Eric Roussin

2 hours ago, wobbler said:

I'd expect the flask rules for competition to state what diameter loading pin, and which position to use for the quick release pin. Good bit easier when it's loose (small dia loading pin) and can be tilted (quick release pin at the bottom of the flask)

Yes, this has been specified each year.

3 minutes ago, wobbler said:

1.9-2" pin, strictest setting (top hole?)

Shouldn't we all be using the Barrel Strength pin?

Pin and connection details will be included in the full instructions which will be shared in the coming weeks. 

Definitely an Olympic sized pin. I just can’t recall the specific hole combination (Flask + pin) and am not able to dig up last year’s rules document right now. I know very little tilt was possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Definitely an Olympic sized pin. I just can’t recall the specific hole combination (Flask + pin) and am not able to dig up last year’s rules document right now. I know very little tilt was possible.

I looked into my files from last year when you sent me a copy. I'll attach it below.

Flask pin combo.png

• Like 1

Why wouldn't we just make all the events have the same lifting height vs having to change the crossbar with each event? Just place your knock bar at the bottom of the loading pin and set the crossbar once at the beginning of the contest and be done. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Why wouldn't we just make all the events have the same lifting height vs having to change the crossbar with each event? Just place your knock bar at the bottom of the loading pin and set the crossbar once at the beginning of the contest and be done. 

Definitely agree, streamline the whole process. I’ve always wondered why there are different lifting Heights anyway?

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Definitely agree, streamline the whole process. I’ve always wondered why there are different lifting Heights anyway?

I agree with this too, I dont really get it. 

32 minutes ago, NealB said:

I agree with this too, I dont really get it. 

You would think all grip lifts Would be same height. I would say 6 inches 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You would think all grip lifts I same height. I would say 6 inches 

Can I make mine “off the ground?” Top 100 finish for sure!

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

This idea has been suggested before and warrants consideration. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 6:16 PM, Leonard_Washington said:

What are the rules for lifting the shallow hub?  I'm still new to gripsport.

From the BSS website:

DubHub

The apparatus must be fixed to the loading pin using the quick release pin. The hub must be fastened to the base using the nut and must not be loose. 

This is a one handed lift. The lifter’s hand may not reach around or below the base plate or make contact with the inside surface of the hub.

The hub must be lifted approximately level and neither the hub nor the lifting hand may make any contact with the body during the lift.

The athlete must lift the apparatus and touch the height indicator to the crossbar, which is set for a 7.5” lift. The 7.5" distance from indicator to crossbar must be demonstrated in the video using a ruler or tape measure. The lifter does not have to be erect upon completion of the attempt. If a crossbar is not used, the weight must be lifted to lockout or to a height demonstrably higher than 7.5".

The lifter must lower the weight under control. Use of any grip aids besides magnesium carbonate chalk is not permitted. Any alteration of the gripping surface of the device is not permitted. 

The total weight lifted must be weighed and displayed in video submissions unless the video is taken from a sanctioned event. Witnessed lifts with no video submission will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Sorry guys. Gil says 7.5”. Get outta here with that super low 6” lift. That extra 1.5” makes all the difference..

am i like the only one seeing how nerdy this conversation looks?

just lift to lockout, and stop being afraid to call bad lifts.

The problem I see with lockout on all the loading pin lifts is sumo.  You could literally see people just clearing the ground at lockout.  

If we are going for a standard bar height, I vote 18" to weed out some of you short guys.  😂

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

The problem I see with lockout on all the loading pin lifts is sumo.  You could literally see people just clearing the ground at lockout.  

If we are going for a standard bar height, I vote 18" to weed out some of you short guys.  😂

Be right back. Going to go buy some stilts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yep. I have been saying that for years. Someone can be short and do a van damme split and only have to lift the Device 1 inch. Cross bar is the way to go with loading pin lifts. It’s the fairest way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yep. I have been saying that for years. Someone can be short and do a van damme split and only have to lift the Device 1 inch. Cross bar is the way to go with loading pin lifts. It’s the fairest way.

Don't have to be short. I messed around  with Blockbuster and LBH at Jedd's contest.  At 6'4" I could get a 1" lockout on both without going too wide in my stance.  

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Don't have to be short. I messed around  with Blockbuster and LBH at Jedd's contest.  At 6'4" I could get a 1" lockout on both without going too wide in my stance.  

I got a lifting friend who I had try the little big horn. He’s only slightly below average height but has short legs. He didn’t even take a super wide stance and when he locked out he only cleared the ground by like 2 inches. He looked at me and said the the lift was BS.

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Sorry guys. Gil says 7.5”. Get outta here with that super low 6” lift. That extra 1.5” makes all the difference..

am i like the only one seeing how nerdy this conversation looks?

just lift to lockout, and stop being afraid to call bad lifts.

I have always agreed it should be  a lift to lockout. I never do a partial lift on anything, unless it’s in the contest, and even then I try to lift it all the way, but if it has to be crossbar, it should all be to the same height. If that is what it’s going to be, make it one height, whether it be 6,8, or whatever inch it need to be to be seen as legitimate. 

The thing is, With crossbar lifts to short Heights, when people look at the records that aren’t in the know , they automatically assume that it is  a lift to lock out. Is the shorter lift to get people to lift more on paper? Or is it strictly a height of the person thing?  Most people cannot lift more to lock out then they can six or 7 inches. So it makes it look like more on paper.

56 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

In all honesty, its the loading pins that make crossbar a thing.. the loading pins could be sortened quite a bit on most lifts and we could see some longer pulls. There really is no need to have even more than a 6” loading pin on most grip top type stuff, since nobody will be lifting a huge stack of plates on a hub, or a stub, or a moon top, etc.

especially if we use the thinner comp plates.

Funny you should say that. I use the 6 inch pin for all of the smaller lifts devices such as hub, moon top and wrist wrench which don’t have much more than 100 pounds lifted. Feel I get better stimulation from it since the weight is so light on the body anyway, why not have the longer tension on the grip as if it was an actual dumbbell lifted from the floor, especially on a wrist wrench if one is training for inch style bells. Might as well simulate it as much as to the real thing as we can.

52 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Sorry for the confusion guys.. i elaborated further back, but the post havent been approved yet.. ugh!

Shorter pins, where practical, could definitely help.  I still struggle with the fact that you could row a weight 2 feet off the ground and it's not a good lift, but you could take a sumo stance and lock out that same weight 2" of the ground and it is legal.  We're testing grip, not posterior chain strength.  

Maybe the issue is pins too tall and crossbars too low?  I don't know.  I just think the possibility of sumo ruins the lockout thing with any but the shortest pin.  Obviously for items without loading pins, like an axle or block weight, lockout it is.

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Shorter pins, where practical, could definitely help.  I still struggle with the fact that you could row a weight 2 feet off the ground and it's not a good lift, but you could take a sumo stance and lock out that same weight 2" of the ground and it is legal.  We're testing grip, not posterior chain strength.  

Maybe the issue is pins too tall and crossbars too low?  I don't know.  I just think the possibility of sumo ruins the lockout thing with any but the shortest pin.  Obviously for items without loading pins, like an axle or block weight, lockout it is.

Excellent call. You are 100% correct on the rowing the weight thing but don’t get the lift. 😂👍🏻But lift it an inch sumo and you good, because you’re standing up more. 

Maybe everyone should just have to keep it in the air for 3 seconds instead?

(Just joking, please don't discuss this)

7 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Excellent call. You are 100% correct on the rowing the weight thing but don’t get the lift. 😂👍🏻But lift it an inch sumo and you good, because you’re standing up more. 

For solid implements like dumbbells or block weights I really like platform lifts, nice and easy to judge and even fun to watch. 

• Like 1