Wrist pain

JamesG

man my wrist hurts when I go heavy on wrist curls on the thumb side and not the pinky side. Ive had pain on the pinky side which seems pretty common for people getting into wrist curls but I can't find much about pain on the thumb side. thin bars are better and I can do volume work but going heavy isn't good for it. I do a lot of wrist wrench work and as long as I keep my hand in slight extension its fine but any kind wrist flexion and it lights it up. Anyone have this injury?

3 hours ago, JamesG said:

man my wrist hurts when I go heavy on wrist curls on the thumb side and not the pinky side. Ive had pain on the pinky side which seems pretty common for people getting into wrist curls but I can't find much about pain on the thumb side. thin bars are better and I can do volume work but going heavy isn't good for it. I do a lot of wrist wrench work and as long as I keep my hand in slight extension its fine but any kind wrist flexion and it lights it up. Anyone have this injury?

My wrists were hurting for 3 years, but on the ulnar side (pinky side) with a lot of clicking and popping. The thing that helped me the most was high rep sledge levering, 15-20 reps both ways 6 sets per week. All my wrist pain is gone now. How do you train the wrist curls - barbell or a dumbbell, reps, sets etc.? 

I feel it's a movement that has to be built up really carefully, going intentionally for more volume for months before doing any kind of intense work.

Things that didn't help at all - ice, stretching, avoiding activity.

That's just my experience, and I'm here to help if I can.

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

My wrists were hurting for 3 years, but on the ulnar side (pinky side) with a lot of clicking and popping. The thing that helped me the most was high rep sledge levering, 15-20 reps both ways 6 sets per week. All my wrist pain is gone now. How do you train the wrist curls - barbell or a dumbbell, reps, sets etc.? 

I feel it's a movement that has to be built up really carefully, going intentionally for more volume for months before doing any kind of intense work.

Things that didn't help at all - ice, stretching, avoiding activity.

That's just my experience, and I'm here to help if I can.

Totally agree with high rep sledge levering. I do it religiously and have zero wrist pain ever 

3 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Joe, I actually did it because you told me to, and I want to thank you here.

Haha that is so great!! Glad to help!! Makes our wrists BULLETPROOF!

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Haha that is so great!! Glad to help!! Makes our wrists BULLETPROOF!

It really is, I had major pain for 3 years and it's gone thanks to levering. But I don't use a sledge, I used a 1.25 kg plate and duct taped it to the end of a power twister, so it's a very dynamic movement, determined by the movement speed, the faster you do it, the harder it gets because of the spring. 

Thanks for the advice guys Ill try the sledge levering! I tried barbell and and thick  bb standing wrist curls and it killed my wrist. DB seems to be much better but still doesn't feel great.

Oh man, I can't do barbell wrist curls, they always bother me. Doing it with a dumbbell is so much better, and try to have your arm free, so it can move with the wrist. I don't think that there's a reason to have the forearm leaning onto something. I do it sitting down, with my elbow leaned on the inside of my leg and my arm slightly flexed, like a concentration curl. 

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic

I have never thought of doing it that way but I will try it. I know having my hand lower than my elbow seems to help too. Thanks again man I appreciate it!

If you are really set on using a barbell you can do behind the back wrist curls which alleviates some of the lower arm torsion. Just put barbell behind you and aim palms behind you then curl backwards.