Odd Haugen Classic: Larry Wheels wins Axle DL event, hits 440 lb

DAVE101

2019 Odd Haugen Strength Classic (Strongman) at the LA Fit Expo, 26-27 January

Larry Wheels lifts 195 kg on 4th attempt to win the event.

Then hits a modest 200 kg on an unofficial attempt.

For some reason, this 200kg lift is what got recorded on the scoreboard.

This lift was part of both the Strongman contest as well as the Armlifting contest. Here is the event's full stream:

Edited by DAVE101

Need to put an asterisk on this one. Larry may have beaten all of the Strongmen in the Axle, but he did not win the event by any means. 

Edited by Hubgeezer

He won the event at the Odd Haugen Strength Classic. It's in the title, no asterisk needed. He did several grip taxing events the day before, while the arm lifters were fresh.

Edited by DAVE101

Not buying it. The "440" is in the title. He did not hit 440, that was an extra and unofficial attempt. He pulled the same (429) as "arm lifter"Eric Roussin, who weighs how many pounds less than Larry,  how many years older, and how many fewer PEDs consumed? 

I am in a particularly irritated mood on the Axle competition, having listened to the douchebag who was speaking on the Live Stream, who had a mancrush on Larry, and made a reference to "Grip Homos". Larry seems like a real nice guy, and it is not his fault that he is so blindingly popular, but...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Not buying it. The "440" is in the title. He did not hit 440, that was an extra and unofficial attempt. He pulled the same (429) as "arm lifter"Eric Roussin, who weighs how many pounds less than Larry,  how many years older, and how many fewer PEDs consumed? 

I am in a particularly irritated mood on the Axle competition, having listened to the douchebag who was speaking on the Live Stream, who had a mancrush on Larry, and made a reference to "Grip Homos". Larry seems like a real nice guy, and it is not his fault that he is so blindingly popular, but...

I'm not sure what you're getting at. He wins the event in the Strongman comp, then goes on to pull 440. I'm just as confused why that lift was recorded as his final score, but it's a good lift worth sharing for someone new to the grip world, regardless of it being in comp or in training. It's even more impressive that he did it after farmer's carry, MAS wrestling, and multiple other Strongman events and clearly had more in the tank. Eric is impressive too, but it goes both way, especially with older guys being better at grip, not worse. 

I'm not sure about the camera man. Perhaps he's from the Training Hall, knows everyone, and is just giving them crap. Perhaps @riccardomagni knows and can chime in. But yeah, might just be a colossal tool and doesn't deserve the attention. 

I was very impressed with Larry. He showed full control during his lift of 440. But I am also confused as to why it would have counted for the strongman scoring. He had already competed his four official attempts and he just asked if he could try 440 to go for a PR.

I also feel the video is worth sharing. It’s a very impressive weight for someone who I assume has done very little training with an axle.

Eric is just too nice a guy. I know Larry shouldn’t be responsible for those dweebs on the audio, but my son being a former Elite Powerlifter, I rarely root for anyone connected with it (I always thought the people he hung out with when he was in BJJ were a better class if people) 🤓

Eric great job on the Axle. Don’t know any results other than that one event. Look forward to hearing about it on another thread.

For what it's worth, I have seen it happen in other grip contests where a "just for fun" or extra attempt somehow makes its way to the scoreboard.

Most of the time, the person brings it to the attention of the scorekeepers. Sometimes, they don't.

It was a four attempt contest. Many of us would have preferred a traditional last man standing contest, but it may not have been possible given the large number of entries. The contest only wrapped up about 45 minutes after the Expo had officially closed.