Is Brian Shaw Entering a Grip Contest This Weekend?

Hubgeezer

Here is a post on the IronMind website the other day on the upcoming Fit Expo contest in LA this weekend:

http://ironmind.com/news/Grip-Strength-Center-Stage-at-the-Los-Angeles-FitExpo/

Check out that quote from Odd Haugen, the last sentence of the piece. The only person that could possibly be is Brian Shaw.

I say NO. Brian Shaw is not going to risk a) Being upstaged by grip guys (even if it is just the Silver Bullet) or an old man (Haugen) in a grip contest, and b) Sidelining his training so close to the Arnold Strongman contest. My opinion of course.

As many of the LA contests as I have attended, helped with officiating, written pieces on MILO for, etc.,  I am not going to this one. If Brian Shaw competes, I hope someone on the Board writes about it. Hint, hint Eric!

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

I'm sure Brian knows what each competitor can do and what he can do on each implement.  The danger of getting hurt at a Grip Contest is fairly minimal - nothing he could do should be a problem.  The danger is to his ego or reputation I think - getting beat in any event kind of tarnishes the Worlds Strongest Man image.  I'm with Mike - I don't think he'll compete - but I wish he would - love to see what he can do in a competition setting.

• Like 1

I believe they are working on a livestream for the strongman comp going on Saturday so hopefully they will livestream the grip event Sunday and we'll be able to watch.

• Like 1

Holy crap. That would be incredible.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him compete in the axle and Rolling Thunder events, because there’s money to be won, and he’ll already be at the venue.

I really hope it happens!

• Like 1

Do you guys really think that he cares about getting beat in grip sport, by professional grip athletes? He got beat in his sport a lot of times. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Do you guys really think that he cares about getting beat in grip sport, by professional grip athletes? He got beat in his sport a lot of times. 

Truth. 

2 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him compete in the axle and Rolling Thunder events, because there’s money to be won, and he’ll already be at the venue.

I really hope it happens!

Jeez, I forgot! $500 for the winner in both those events. Yeah, I believe you are right. I changed my mind. Probably will be doing both those events. $1000 for an hour of time. That's more than an LA Lawyer per hour😎

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Just posting to stay updated on this one. Cant see him winning the RT with Alexey showing up. But am curious to see what he will do on axle.

also curious to see if Martins axle has gone up any significant amount

Totally agreed, I don't think he has a chance at most single handed lifts workout intense technique work. Axle seems like it has his name all over it tho

4 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Jeez, I forgot! $500 for the winner in both those events. Yeah, I believe you are right. I changed my mind. Probably will be doing both those events. $1000 for an hour of time. That's more than an LA Lawyer per hour😎

Okay, you guys are affecting my opinion. I do believe Alexey will prevail on the RT. Still, that is $800 for an hour's work. Barely more than an LA Lawyer per hour.:grin:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Okay, you guys are affecting my opinion. I do believe Alexey will prevail on the RT. Still, that is $800 for an hour's work. Barely more than an LA Lawyer per hour.:grin:

But not quite LA accountant money...

50 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

He’s going to pay a lot more than 800 smackeroos  to get to the venue in travel and food, lodging, unless his country pays for it, but still, $800 bucks for lifting a rolling handle would be very nice! 😂

The strongman contest is being livestreamed on Odd Haugen's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OddEHaugen/

The Apollon's Axle deadlift is going to be part of the strongman show so at least that part will definitely be shown. There are only 2 other strongman events on Sunday so I think they will probably be showing a lot of the grip stuff.

I say Alexey wins the Rolling Thunder no matter who shows up.

I say Shaw does show up, manages to crack 500 lbs, and wins the Axle. Does not break Burke's World Record. Alexey is right behind him. 

It will be interesting to see how Shaw does on the thick bar events but based on the rolling thunder vids I have seen from him and the fact he doesn’t specialize in grip, I see Tank taking the RT as well.

never seen Shaw on an axle deadlift but usually the heavy lifters on the RT are also top guys on the axle as long as they have a decent deadlift so I’m not 100% sure he cracks 500 since I don’t think tank has done that 

I think mark Felix would crack 500 on the axle and has a shot at the record if he went for it since he’s a great deadlifter and great at thick bar with huge hands 

Edited by Chez

Did he? If it happened, I didn’t know 

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Didnt Mark already face off on the axle against Burke? Or am i trippin?

http://www.ironmind.com/news/Mark-Felix-Wins-the-Visegrip-Viking-Challenge/

stand corrected, they did 

ya, I really don’t think Brian hits 500 now 

Edited by Chez

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

Right and we also know Felix is no where near 500 either

Ya and Brian never posted RT lifts even close to Felix. I’m actually shocked felix didn’t pull more on the axle 

Edited by Chez

I didn’t even think that would be the reason but maybe 

Of the likely competitors, I see Alexey, Roman, Carl, and Brian all lifting between 264 and 275 lbs on the RT.

As for the axle, I see Brian winning with around 484, with Alexey, Carl, and Martins at 462.

If Brian secures the axle victory, I hope he goes for the world record attempt, but I somehow doubt that he will.

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

These were almost the exact numbers i thought of on RT for these guys as well. 

I can see Brian at those exact numbers on the axle also. Id guesstimate Alexey a tad higher, possibly making Brian sweat to stay ahead. If Martins pulls over 450 id be super impressed.

im with you though Eric. Im thinking the axle record will be safe for now.

I’ve never seen Martins miss 440, even five years ago when he only weighed about 240. So I won’t be surprised if he lifts more than 450. But I have to wonder how much last weekend’s Arnold strongman win took out of him.

He and Brian are focused on the Arnold Classic, and unlike many of the armlifting competitors, I’m sure these guys haven’t paused their training for this weekend.

Yes, 240 when I met him exactly five years ago at the LA Fit Expo. When I saw him 16 months later in Chicago, he was at least 270.

13 hours ago, Chez said:

It will be interesting to see how Shaw does on the thick bar events but based on the rolling thunder vids I have seen from him and the fact he doesn’t specialize in grip, I see Tank taking the RT as well.

never seen Shaw on an axle deadlift but usually the heavy lifters on the RT are also top guys on the axle as long as they have a decent deadlift so I’m not 100% sure he cracks 500 since I don’t think tank has done that 

I think mark Felix would crack 500 on the axle and has a shot at the record if he went for it since he’s a great deadlifter and great at thick bar with huge hands 

Brian can speed lift 500 lbs with a normal bar, so that will help him alot. Less time under tension. It's a small weight for him.

• Confused 1