Is Brian Shaw Entering a Grip Contest This Weekend?

Hubgeezer

7 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I’ve never seen Martins miss 440, even five years ago when he only weighed about 240. So I won’t be surprised if he lifts more than 450. But I have to wonder how much last weekend’s Arnold strongman win took out of him.

He and Brian are focused on the Arnold Classic, and unlike many of the armlifting competitors, I’m sure these guys haven’t paused their training for this weekend.

I met Martins at a San Jose Fit Expo 18 months before that. He was VERY young. He pulled 418 on the Axle, which completely blew me away. Pulled 198 on the Little Big Horn that day as well. Zero time on a #3 Silver Bullet, and 44 pounds for the IM Hub. It would make sense that his Axle would be 20% more, which would put him right at 500 lbs. I don't think he is there, and perhaps never will be, but with the increased grip strength, overall strength, and his age sure seems like they would add up to significant increases in the Axle.

• Like 2

Found this video of Shaw DO on the IM axle. Looks like 483. Pretty impressive but it looks like a max since it was quick and he was losing it at the top so the lockout wasn’t convincing like a long hold etc. back in 2008 so maybe he can crack 500. First time I ever saw him on the axle 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

Found this video of Shaw DO on the IM axle. Looks like 483. Pretty impressive but it looks like a max since it was quick and he was losing it at the top so the lockout wasn’t convincing like a long hold etc. back in 2008 so maybe he can crack 500. First time I ever saw him on the axle 

Brian Shaw looks tiny in that video compared to where he is now (10 years and multiple titles under his belt). I'd bet he could hit 500 lbs fairly comfortably now. Sure he may not have been specifically training for the axle, but I'm sure he's not neglecting his grip.

Edited by devinhoo

I feel like 17lbs in 11 years is a pretty doable improvement.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chez said:

This was 2008. Brian is much much bigger and stronger now. ;) 

Well, we were ALL wrong. Axle just ended. No Brian Shaw. Alexey won with 215 kgs. Carl had 215 as well, but I assume he weighs more than Alexey. Haugen almost locked out his 215, but no go. Caught it on the link someone posted earlier on this thread. I believe it is going to the Rolling Thunder now. Eric R did very well, but I hadn't figured out the "unmute button before he finished lifting. He pulled well over 400 by my plate counting? 429 maybe?

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks like only the Axle was recorded and streamed. You can watch the Axle video on the Facebook link on Page 1 of this thread.

Who was the douchebag or douchebags whose voice(s) you heard? Were they commentators for the video, or were they just some loser(s) whose voice you could hear on the video? a) They knew Zilch about Grip, b) They had more than an obsession for Larry Wheels, and c) After all the Strongmen were out of the lifts,  one of the said: "Right now it's just the Grip Homos". That is right before Odd lifts at a few seconds past the one hour mark of the video. 

Anyone know anything about them? Video operators? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Looks like only the Axle was recorded and streamed. You can watch the Axle video on the Facebook link on Page 1 of this thread.

Who was the douchebag or douchebags whose voice(s) you heard? Were they commentators for the video, or were they just some loser(s) whose voice you could hear on the video? a) They knew Zilch about Grip, b) They had more than an obsession for Larry Wheels, and c) After all the Strongmen were out of the lifts,  one of the said: "Right now it's just the Grip Homos". That is right before Odd lifts at a few seconds past the one hour mark of the video. 

Is there any other way to watch It besides Facebook?

Shoot. I was really hoping Brian Shaw would stroll through and blow everything up. 😬

22 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

That was Romark Weiss. He works at the Training Hall and does Martins Licis' youtube videos. 

I found a clip of the saxon bar DL if anyone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/startingstrongman/permalink/2136206083270953/

22 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Also told a bigger guy doing mas wrestling to lose weight and kept telling larry to take his shirt off. The guy is an ass hat. 

• Like 1

Nooo! Romark? That surprised me. Plus, he knows something about Grip. I find that hard to believe. I think his father is friends, and they are neighbors, with Odd. I could be wrong on that if it is the same guy. Shoot, I was going to email Odd, but right now, I don't think I will until I know for sure.

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

Also told a bigger guy doing mas wrestling to lose weight and kept telling larry to take his shirt off. The guy is an ass hat. 

Well, glad to see I was not the only one that found the commentary annoying!:D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Well, glad to see I was not the only one that found the commentary annoying!:D

I should of muted the video. Thats a few brain cells I couldnt afford to lose. 

Edited by KapMan

13 hours ago, KapMan said:

Telling a strength guy to lose weight, eh? Haha, he must read men’s health and drool over the chiseled abs  and drink soy shakes AND  wear the latest DESIGNER workout gloves to protect his hands.😆

Edited by Guest

On 1/28/2019 at 3:34 AM, Hubgeezer said:

Grip Homos?! WTF!

On 1/27/2019 at 5:34 PM, Hubgeezer said:

14 hours ago, KapMan said:

If I heard someone that worked at my gym talking like that, I would fire them on the spot. That mindset is why strength sports don't grow more. Disgusting. I hope Odd takes notice of this and deals with it accordingly.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Telling a strength guy to lose weight, eh? Haha, he must read men’s health and drool over the chiseled abs  and drink soy shakes AND  wear the latest DESIGNER workout gloves to protect his hands.😆

Probably wears wrist wraps while on the elliptical listening to nickelback through large over the ear headphones too 

Edited by KapMan

5 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Probably wears wrist wraps while on the elliptical listening to nickelback through large over the ear headphones too 

Probably does a lot more than that, the way he was asking Wheels to take off his shirt.

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Probably does a lot more than that, the way he was asking Wheels to take off his shirt.

You’re right. Probably pantless hot yoga.

11 minutes ago, KapMan said:

You’re right. Probably pantless hot yoga.

I was thinking more the lines of pole dancing at the bodybuilding gym, and not the poles used to hold up the ceiling . But you may be on to something, Kapster!

13 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I was thinking more the lines of pole dancing at the bodybuilding gym, and not the poles used to hold up the ceiling . But you may be on to something, Kapster!

Stop it.  This is the same punchline as calling guys "grip homos" and it's not okay.  Also @KapMan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Stop it.  This is the same punchline as calling guys "grip homos" and it's not okay.  Also @KapMan

Sorry Matty ! Forgot how sensitive this place has gotten. My bad! 😆

23 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Sorry Matty ! Forgot how sensitive this place has gotten. My bad! 😆

This has NOTHING to do with it being a sensitive place. Pretty soon this place will be 20 years old and I have been here from the beginning. And, this type of human interaction is not something that was here at the start nor have we wanted it here through now and the last 20 years.

• Like 3