Gripper "Thumb Ratchet" Video

Squeezus

I know a few of you have heard of and incorporate this technique, but I wanted to share this great slow motion video that I captured while filming some gripper closes. For those of you that don't know what I am talking about, check out the caption, it could help you close your goal gripper!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I only got good at this after taking an incredibly light gripper and just practicing the motion for awhile. It's hard to get immediately on a gripper that's hard for you

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

This is a good tip.  The Crushed to Dust DVD by @Jedd Johnsonhas this too.

Never seen it, but I give out tips for free.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The KTA program really made this technique strong for me. Mixing dynamic thumb work with overcrushes probably helped.

• Like 1

That's awesome. Definitely have to start doing that for closes.

If it's harder to incorporate once you get used to grippers then I'm glad I'm still a novice. 😅

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever seen this!  And, it's not like I haven't been around awhile. 

I think what I do is use my thumb to help "clamp" when in the handles together position by wrapping it. But, not with forethought. 

Have you experimented such that you know you can close more with the technique?  

• Like 1

Just tried this, outstanding. Thanks for the tip, its definitely a help. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

I don't think I have ever seen this!  And, it's not like I haven't been around awhile. 

I think what I do is use my thumb to help "clamp" when in the handles together position by wrapping it. But, not with forethought. 

Have you experimented such that you know you can close more with the technique?  

I have used this technique for many years at this point, so I am not sure where I would be right now if I didn't use it. It is possible to speculate, though, with some degree of accuracy.

If you watch the video, before the last thumb pull, there's approximately a quarter inch left of space between the handles. So, if we assume that my thumb was the difference between a 1/4" miss and a near max effort close, and spring force is linear (which it is), and the spread of that gripper is around 3", then 8.3% of the total travel (and force) was directly attributable to my thumb. On a RGC 167 gripper, that would be about a 14lb (or 9%) gain from the thumb ratchet technique.

Back of the envelope calculation, yes, but I think it gives at least a picture of how much it helps me personally.

• Like 1

Lol! I also do this, with every gripper apparently! Had no clue..

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 11:14 AM, Squeezus said:

Never seen it, but I give out tips for free.

So do I.  All the time. 

• Like 4