Going for red

imillertimee

On 1/25/2019 at 4:40 AM, KapMan said:

Video didn’t work

I don’t know why it doesn’t work. Tried reloading it several times and I gave up. Tried posting several other work outs and they don’t go up either. User error most likely. 

Quick session. 6 fake 6” 60d as a warm up. 10 real 6” 60d. Finished with 6 fake. Under 5 min. They are all from grip rite fasteners but from different boxes that I have rooted through. The fakes are a 16/32 thickness difference from the real ones. 

• Like 2

Cut the heads off so you don't ruin your pads? Seems easy enough for you that you could cut the tips and go even shorter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Cut the heads off so you don't ruin your pads? Seems easy enough for you that you could cut the tips and go even shorter.

I cut the heads off mostly for speed during my sessions. That way I don’t have to re-roll my pads after each bend. I also cut them to different lengths as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, imillertimee said:

I don’t know why it doesn’t work. Tried reloading it several times and I gave up. Tried posting several other work outs and they don’t go up either. User error most likely. 

Upload to youtube and post the link. 

• Like 1

Let the big benders chime in but you're gonna need bigger steel than those for a red. It's like using a coc#1 to train for a #3. Get some drill rod.

• Like 3

The last two posts are very true. I would even say do all bends at 7" lengths unless you are doing some warm-ups with easy steel. Sometimes it is hard to transition from 6" to 7" bars. It can be hard to get 7" bars into optimal position if your shoulders are not somewhat flexible. Drill rod can be cut into 7" lengths and you can select many levels for progression. 

• Like 2

I bulk bend shiny 60ds. Did maybe 4-5 weeks of up to 15 nails a session. Then i bent a red spiral.  But I’m a DU bender exclusively. Bulk bending hard 60s and dropping in some grade 5s really brought everything up to speed for me. I only bend in ironmind pads too. I stay mainly around 6-7” because my goal is the red/bastard. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, king crusher said:

Let the big benders chime in but you're gonna need bigger steel than those for a red. It's like using a coc#1 to train for a #3. Get some drill rod.

I understand your analogy and thank you! Do you have a good source for drill rod? I had money to spend at FBBC but I had an ER visit the other night after hockey and I’m in the poor house again! I appreciate everyone’s opinion. 

Just now, imillertimee said:

I understand your analogy and thank you! Do you have a good source for drill rod? I had money to spend at FBBC but I had an ER visit the other night after hockey and I’m in the poor house again! I appreciate everyone’s opinion. 

https://store.diesupplies.com/mobile/o1-drill-rod-oil-hardening-tool-steel-oilcrat-pm-p113.aspx

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I bulk bend shiny 60ds. Did maybe 4-5 weeks of up to 15 nails a session. Then i bent a red spiral.  But I’m a DU bender exclusively. Bulk bending hard 60s and dropping in some grade 5s really brought everything up to speed for me. I only bend in ironmind pads too. I stay mainly around 6-7” because my goal is the red/bastard. 

Thank you for sharing your training. I’m new to all the forum stuff and it’s paying off. 

22 minutes ago, imillertimee said:

Thank you for sharing your training. I’m new to all the forum stuff and it’s paying off. 

Take your time. Its a marathon, not a sprint. I learned that the hard way. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, imillertimee said:

Youre welcome.

Someone posted a link to a source.  It's not the place I used for all my drill rod, which is the place EJ recommended,  which comes out of Chicago.  I will see if I can find it for you. They were so fast like the next day it was to my house I was amazed. 

Edited by king crusher
  • Like 1

I’m 3+ years in now. It’s my winter past time here in Idaho to help stay sane. I just loose everything when the sun is shining outside in the warmer months. Not this year!

51 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Youre welcome.

Someone posted a link to a source.  It's not the place I used for all my drill rod, which is the place EJ recommended,  which comes out of Chicago.  I will see if I can find it for you. They were so fast like the next day it was to my house I was amazed. 

That source came recommended by @anwnate 

• Like 1

Very successful bending session. Warmed up with a dozen lighter nails. Then bent 10 6” x 1/4 hardened 5 bolts. Then finished up with some easy bending. 

5D0D2FD2-F2B8-4C3D-A7CD-E9CD54403847.jpeg

• Like 3