Sign in to follow this  
Aleksandar Milosevic

Gripper advice

Hopefully
2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I dont blame genetics for any of my not so great lifts. I pretty much chalk it up to my own laziness in the past. Gotta put time in on that to get good at it. Golf clap to the guys who just walk up and do it tho.

id like to hear more on your bench, if possible. Best 1rm, bw when it happened, contest lifts, etc.?

and who were these guys that came in and out did you on the bench? Were they your weight, lighter, or much heavier? And from the sounds of things, you didnt know them personally. Who knows if they juiced or not. All those things should have been a definite factor before you compared yourself to them. Otherwise there is no comparison.

you compared your bench to Kirills??.. lol, why did you do that? Sounds like you are on the lighter spectrum if bw benches are no biggie. And There is no logical reason at all for a lightweight to compare their bench to Kirills. He is too strong.

any vids of your benching?

There isn't much to tell, I'm a nobody. I never did anything worth noting. 

I competed only once, and I did it when I had just turned 16. It was the Swedish national champisonship and I blew the whole competition and finished last. I was so ashamed of it I never competed again after that, had friend and family there. I did 130kg then at 96kg bw, so nothing worth mentioning. I had done 140kg in training back then. This record exists online to prove I was there, but if you are interested I'd rather show it in pm. Had a goal of competing again when I were sure I had a legit chance to win. That, in my mind, never happened. Like I said, I looked at those guys who won their classes and I were never good enough to touch them, in training that is, so I never bothered to try again in competition. 

I didn't compared myself to him, didn't even know who that was. I just took him as an example of someone with freak genetics. I was, as Paul himself says, never of that caliber. Not for a lack of trying though. 

My best lift % wise is in fact a 2xbw lift, 160kg at 80kg bw. Training lift without pause. Have not done it under contest conditions. Even if that would be the case, I would not have had a chance to win. Hence why I dont consider it a big deal, it isn't enough. My biggest is 187.5 kg at around 100kg bw, using a very big arch. I have had a couple of videos a few years ago, I think I have a video of me doing 170kg with my feet in the air, around 90kg bw, I'll see when I get home from work if I still have that Phone somewhere. That would be the only video that'll somewhat prove I could do what I say. I was the best when I were around 20-21. 27 now.  One of the guys I compared myself to then has a paused raw at around 215 at 90kg bw now I think. Came 2nd at wc behind some american guy. Edit: he came 3rd apparently

Here he is doing 143kgx19 rep: 

I recently started benching again after not doing it for years, I am nowhere close to a 2xbw bench at the time. I'm looking to put up 170kg in a couple of months at a bw of around 100kg. Maybe I'll make a video. Dont really feel the need though. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 2

Lennix
2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Thats kind of cool.

everyone want to make a little wager that instead of genetics, that family just more than likely had a bench press in the kitchen as they grew up instead of a table to eat at? Gurantee something along those lines was more the case than genetics.

I don't want to pitch in to much in the genetics or not discussion but it's heavily genetic dependent to be able to handle the volume it takes to train that way.

Lennix

My belief is that genetics determine how much stress your body can take without getting injured. If you can take all the training, you can go from not being able to close a #1 to close a #4. Ofcourse with the right training, mental approach and dedication and all those things Paul said. If you can close the #3 the first time you try ofcourse you got talent, but to go further you need dedication and the correct training and if your genetics doesnt allow for it you wont go further.

Aleksandar Milosevic

I'm just going to write a real life example. A friend of mine, which is an elite powerlifter told me the entire truth of his path. Natural and with a lot of years of good training he came to a 190 kg bench press at 110-115 kg bodyweight and there was no way to advance, injuries started piling up etc. You can say he reached his maximum natural potential. Then came the PEDs and a couple years later that result was around 245 kg at 125 kg, and he's not a bench only guy, his squat and deadlift is also elite. 

For bench pressing, bodyweight is and insanely big factor, the more weight I gained, the more I benched. I never really made the bench press my priority, but I benched 145 kg paused when I was 19 years old at 92 kg bodyweight. Did 150 kg without a pause at 95 kg when I was 20. You simply have to gain weight to advance on the bench press, as a natural lifter.

And yes, genetics play a huge role, but you can tailor a program that's very efficient and rational for every type of genetic makeup, but it takes a lot of knowledge. Muscle fiber types, physiological status, hormone levels, lactic acid build up and tolerance etc. I am blessed that I can tolerate both high volume and high intensity and I have good genetics for strength and power, but there are people who I know are genetically worse than me, but still stronger, because care about it more. From 14 to 21 I only wanted to get bigger, stronger, the strongest I can be, and I was stronger than almost everyone in my gym, besides that guy which I told you about. He told me when I was 20-21, "you're stronger now, than I was when I was 30" and told me I'm gonna become a world-class elite lifter. Well, that didn't happen. But two people with the same burning desire + efficient program but different genetic make up = gifted lifter advances way faster, it's just life.

So Hopefully, you've reached 187.5 kg @ 100 kg, I consider that elite level, if you are natural, and you have the chance to be a 220 kg+ bench presser in the 105-125 kg range. And I really mean that. You just need to have a burning desire to do it, tunnel vision it has to be something that you think about every single day. But you just have to decide if it's worth it or not.

I stopped having that burning desire, when I went to the USA on a student exchange program in 2015. I came there all alone, never worked a real job, never went away from home, just a shock. The contract I've signed said that there was not going to be any work in the first two weeks, while the pools open (I was supposed to be a lifeguard). Well, there was work, and it's an understatement. The owner of the company picked me and my friend to help him for the two weeks, opening pools and passing pool inspections, I was working for 15 hours per day on average, and it was hard work: carrying pool pumps, cleaning the pools, carrying supplies, chlorinating, taking off tiles, gluing new tiles etc. And I was on one, eventually two meals per day during those two weeks. One day we started at 8 am, finished at midnight, and we had to be back at work at 4 am because we were running late with the inspections. Stress + hard work + no sleep + no food = losing 17 kg/37.5 lbs in TWO WEEKS. After those two weeks I was immediately promoted to a supervisor position, and I had some breathing room and started going in the gym. When I left my country, a couple days prior to that I benched 100 kg/225 lbs x 21, on my first workout in the USA, three weeks after arriving I almost failed the second rep with 100 kg. That's when I realized that it's all an illusion. Now I only prepare for the reality of life.

I hope you enjoyed the blog post, haha :D 

KapMan
6 hours ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I'm just going to write a real life example. A friend of mine, which is an elite powerlifter told me the entire truth of his path. Natural and with a lot of years of good training he came to a 190 kg bench press at 110-115 kg bodyweight and there was no way to advance, injuries started piling up etc. You can say he reached his maximum natural potential. Then came the PEDs and a couple years later that result was around 245 kg at 125 kg, and he's not a bench only guy, his squat and deadlift is also elite. 

For bench pressing, bodyweight is and insanely big factor, the more weight I gained, the more I benched. I never really made the bench press my priority, but I benched 145 kg paused when I was 19 years old at 92 kg bodyweight. Did 150 kg without a pause at 95 kg when I was 20. You simply have to gain weight to advance on the bench press, as a natural lifter.

And yes, genetics play a huge role, but you can tailor a program that's very efficient and rational for every type of genetic makeup, but it takes a lot of knowledge. Muscle fiber types, physiological status, hormone levels, lactic acid build up and tolerance etc. I am blessed that I can tolerate both high volume and high intensity and I have good genetics for strength and power, but there are people who I know are genetically worse than me, but still stronger, because care about it more. From 14 to 21 I only wanted to get bigger, stronger, the strongest I can be, and I was stronger than almost everyone in my gym, besides that guy which I told you about. He told me when I was 20-21, "you're stronger now, than I was when I was 30" and told me I'm gonna become a world-class elite lifter. Well, that didn't happen. But two people with the same burning desire + efficient program but different genetic make up = gifted lifter advances way faster, it's just life.

So Hopefully, you've reached 187.5 kg @ 100 kg, I consider that elite level, if you are natural, and you have the chance to be a 220 kg+ bench presser in the 105-125 kg range. And I really mean that. You just need to have a burning desire to do it, tunnel vision it has to be something that you think about every single day. But you just have to decide if it's worth it or not.

I stopped having that burning desire, when I went to the USA on a student exchange program in 2015. I came there all alone, never worked a real job, never went away from home, just a shock. The contract I've signed said that there was not going to be any work in the first two weeks, while the pools open (I was supposed to be a lifeguard). Well, there was work, and it's an understatement. The owner of the company picked me and my friend to help him for the two weeks, opening pools and passing pool inspections, I was working for 15 hours per day on average, and it was hard work: carrying pool pumps, cleaning the pools, carrying supplies, chlorinating, taking off tiles, gluing new tiles etc. And I was on one, eventually two meals per day during those two weeks. One day we started at 8 am, finished at midnight, and we had to be back at work at 4 am because we were running late with the inspections. Stress + hard work + no sleep + no food = losing 17 kg/37.5 lbs in TWO WEEKS. After those two weeks I was immediately promoted to a supervisor position, and I had some breathing room and started going in the gym. When I left my country, a couple days prior to that I benched 100 kg/225 lbs x 21, on my first workout in the USA, three weeks after arriving I almost failed the second rep with 100 kg. That's when I realized that it's all an illusion. Now I only prepare for the reality of life.

I hope you enjoyed the blog post, haha :D 

The internet has a strange way of making you reply when you say you arent going to doesnt it?😬

Edited by KapMan
  • Haha 1

Climber028
13 minutes ago, KapMan said:

The internet has a strange lf making you reply when you say you arent going to doesnt it?😬

Can't be the internet,  it's just genetics 

• Haha 2

Aleksandar Milosevic

To my credit, I resisted the urge a couple of times, before succumbing :) 

Hopefully
On 1/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, Tommy J. said:

In closing, dont compare your lifts yet to that guy. Work hard at moving up the ladder instead. Then later when things start coming together, hone in on beating that mf’er!

yeah, genetics are great. But a fighting spirit and sheer determination are way cooler.

So here's the deal, I thought I'd respond when I had the time to do so. Unfortunately it seems that never happens so it is what it is. 

All in all so yes, it is a good hallmark of a very good bench, or elite if you want. I agree with you. I realize it's a high level and I never wanted to sound arrogant about it, just that my sights at the time were aimed so high that in my mind winning was all that were good enough. 

I'll never beat him now because that time has passed for me I think, I aint got that drive anymore. Besides now when I have a kid, house and everything the sacrifice needed to get to that level just isn't justified. It takes too much time away from other things and life is not about benching the world anymore for me 😛 Also my mental health was piss poor around that time because I put too much into training so finally I couldn't handle it anymore and had to quit.

But cool that you think I reached elite level, I'll always have that. 

I have no video that proves any % bench unfortunately. 

Good luck with your 400lbs bench! 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Hopefully
56 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Yep, i stand by my statement. You have already achieved an elite bench. Now you just need the T-shirt that says “99 problems but a bench aint 1” 😬

no need for vid. I’ll take your word for it.

and thanks. It will be quite the journey. I will admit though that i have no hopes of ever hitting double bw like you have already done.

Haha sure! People would kill me for that shirt around here though. 

It took me a lot of years of 100% dedication purely for the bench to reach that so it can be done for sure.I actually think just about everyone can reach it, as long as you doesn't have a terrible body type for it. Now I'm starting to sound like Paul about #4 closes which I called out to be bs though lol

Hopefully
3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

They would kill you for a shirt that said that?.. as in- they like it that much, or would hate it that much?

That sort of attitude is kinda stigmatized in Sweden. Which of course would make it even more awesome actually 

• Like 1

Climber028
25 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Wow! that is incredibly disappointing.. 

So, Hypothetically, receiving a 1st place medal at an event you competed at could technically be breaking that law.. is how im reading it..

i guess a closer comparison could be if you just decided to wear that same awarded medal around your neck out in public the next day.

that law appars to fit an exact example of fascism.

It's not a literal law, it's more like a cultural norm. Winning is great,  being boisterous or pompous about it would be frowned upon.

Hopefully
6 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

If i ever visit Sweden im bringing all my best pompous attire then. And maybe even one of those helmets that hold a beer on either side. Ive never been to jail in Sweden. So its now on the bucket list! 😀

It is probably why Siversson pointed out that Becca R should be more humble about her world records in a thread a while ago; basking in your glory isn't really well liked here.

It's very refreshing going to the states where basically the opposite applies. Also being social with strangers or really just stand in their proximity here are under most circumstances not well liked at all and most would actually be very uncomfortable in such a situation. This in particular is the complete opposite in the states from my experience being there, I remember being verbally raped basically everywhere I went and people talked to me liked they'd known me their entire life lol. I was like shit what do you guys really want from me.

I remember at Gold's in Oklahoma the owner there invited me and my friend to dinner with his friends and a couple of beers when he got off work just after hearing we came from Sweden. Nah ain't feeling like getting robbed and killed on vacation bro 😛 

Also I minded my own buisness doing some benching there in a comfortable corner I found, and while I rested between sets one guy came to me, stood right in front of me and put his hand forward and said "Hello, my name is Chris!! Very nice to meet you!! Who are you and what brings you here? Do you like Football?" great I thought, how am I getting out of this interrogation 😛 Gave him short answers to everything as I just wanted to train, probably wondered what kind of antisocial freak I was lol.

Edited by Hopefully
  • Haha 1

xyzzm

Iguess we really value our personal space 😅 Fun part is that we have to be humble if we win, but at the same time we hate the "loser mentality".

KapMan
5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

As much as i am ashamed to admit it, there are many places in the states that people are not very polite. Cali is one of those states.. not even lying when i say people will literally ask you what your looking at for just making eye contact it seems. So im glad one of those places wasnt your united states experience.

what you experienced, and that i am proud of, was southern hospitality. People down in the south often times will love you until you give them a reason to hate you. Various other areas here are the exact opposite.

the US has revered heros forever. Movies, soldiers, prize fighters, you name it. So its no surprise to see someone super proud to win around here.

This. The midwest, and south have a huge population of really nice people. Hopefully despite the great Northerner migration thats been taken place the past decade or two because of shitty taxes, and lame government decisions  it stays that way. 

My neighboorhood alone is most folk from up North. I love NC but I miss Kansas and Oklahoma alot.

• Like 1

KapMan
43 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Hopefully it does. I dont mind one bit folks moving from states like Cali to here in Texas. And from what they tell me, they are so much happier here. I just hope they realize that their own voting decisions they made in the past is what ultimately led to them wanting to flee that joint and come here instead. If they move to a new state and turn it in to what Cali has become, eventually they will run out of places to retreat from their own bad decisions.

Agreed.