Sign in to follow this  
Aleksandar Milosevic

Gripper advice

Aleksandar Milosevic
14 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

It's very easy to think of something as genetic and god given, and I know all about that, I've trained and competed with some absolute freaks, including wsm competitors.

Do genetics play a role in sports? Absolutely, to what degree? To a massive agree. That said, Becca doesn't fall into that super genetic freak category, actually not even close. Yeah she's got height and a huge frame and that gives her the 'potential' to add more muscle than others however being natural this isn't an easy process for a woman but more importantly she's very much a normal human being (just bigger haha). She wasn't 'born strong' like pretty much all the guys at world strongest man, she struggled with 60kg deadlifts and 5kg plate shoulder raises when I first started training her and she couldn't close the #1 either (even being 170kg back then, which by the way, isn't really a good thing).

Theres things she struggles with genetically too but the reality is that she crawls up the stairs every week because her legs don't work etc It comes from graft not genetics, even with the best genetics in the world it still would too as there would always be others in the same boat. 

By the way there's a lot of females that strength train and do strength sports nowadays, it's growing very fast on the women's side, has been for years now.

Sorry I gave advice if it was not wanted, just wanted to help as someone whos been in that position in the past. Good luck with #3.

Paul, you really seem like a nice guy, and thank your for your advice and help offer, I know you had no ill intent. And I understand what you're saying about Becca and training, and I wish both of you all the best in your training and life. The problem is, when the topic goes to another direction, a lot of others chime in and then we have a mess, everyone has an opinion. I'm very, very open minded about training and it bothers me when someone thinks that only a single method works. I've been fortunate to be in contact with coaches and athletes making millions, in sports like basketball, tennis, soccer... Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all train completely different, and I mean it, and they are the top 3 tennis players of all time. There's a lot of paths to each goal and I think that should be respected. I never assume that what works for me is going to 100% work for someone else. 

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic

Paul Savage
3 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Paul, you really seem like a nice guy, and thank your for your advice and help offer, I know you had no ill intent. And I understand what you're saying about Becca and training, and I wish both of you all the best in your training and life. The problem is, when the topic goes to another direction, a lot of others chime in and then we have a mess, everyone has an opinion. I'm very, very open minded about training and it bothers me when someone thinks that only single method works. I've been fortunate to be in contact with coaches and athletes making millions, in sports like basketball, tennis, soccer... Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all train completely different, and I mean it, and they are the top 3 tennis players of all time. There's a lot of paths to each goal and I think that should be respected. I never assume that what works for me is going to 100% work for someone else. 

There's definitely a ton of different ways to get stronger, I still try new things all the time to this day, most likely always will.

People argue, especially on the internet, it happens (why I try to pretty much stick to my log haha)

• Like 1

Aleksandar Milosevic
Just now, Paul Savage said:

There's definitely a ton of different ways to get stronger, I still try new things all the time to this day, most likely always will.

People argue, especially on the internet, it happens (why I try to pretty much stick to my log haha)

That's the only way to grow. 

devinhoo

We understand you personally don't want to talk about programs, but there are other people on this website who are looking to learn (myself included). It's probably a step up that you have all this background and knowledge going into grippers, but I'm pretty sure most of us aren't even having the same conversation as the one you started. It's all good dude, nobody is trying to start a fight.

Aleksandar Milosevic

Haha, are you serious man? Just make a thread about programming, people are glad to help with it. Why do it in a thread that's not meant for it? It's easier for everyone. 

BeccaRoberts
7 hours ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Now I have to be brutally honest. I don't care about a female sports that have a male counterpart, especially strength sports, and especially grip. And we need to be real here, how many women are competing, and are you an average woman, just by birth?

I would like to say, that as a "strength and conditioning coach" with a degree this type of attitide towards female sport is really disappointing.

Its attitudes like yours that holds the female sport back.

Edited by BeccaRoberts
  • Like 2

Hopefully
9 hours ago, BeccaRoberts said:

Holding a degree in strength and conditioning and having an indepth grip knowledge are 2 different things. 

If you want to look at things in this way, Paul is the mechanic here. Its not just that, he might just be the best mechanic in the world.

You said in your original post you can do the #2 for 1-3 reps right hand and not with your left yet. Paul has done the #4 with fairly wide sets with both hands and 3 reps with with right hand. He has also done it from originally not being able to close a #1 which is maybe the best progress any male has ever made on grippers. 

Ontop of this he has coached me to having the strongest female crush grip in the world and has only taken a few years to do it. 

So i dont think its fair that youre insinuating that he knows very little about this subject. It would make a lot more sense if you were to listen and take more note from the likes of him and Laine. (No programme is going to give you results in a week, thats insane). 

Lets just not pretend here that Paul has average genetics when it comes to crush strength, and that he somehow got to where he is now purely due to his impeccable programming skills and bottomless knowledge of gripstrength. It comes across as very arrogant in my book. 

Nathan Holle could barely close #2 the first time he tried, a year later he closed the #4 for the first time.

Edited by Hopefully
  • Like 1

Paul Savage
3 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Lets just not pretend here that Paul has average genetics when it comes to crush strength, and that he somehow got to where he is now purely due to his impeccable programming skills and bottomless knowledge of gripstrength. It comes across as very arrogant in my book. 

Nathan Holle could barely close #2 the first time he tried, a year later he closed the #4 for the first time.

Im not sure if your trolling or just a negative person but id weight trained for a couple years bare handed no mixed grip on deads etc before I tried grippers, I couldn't finish #1 right hand and my left was a good bit weaker, took me 5 months to close #2 both hands, 2 years to close an easy #3 right hand etc I'd also been an angler to national level prior to weight training and started at about 5 and there's s fair bit of hand strength required for that. I nor Becca said programming is impeccable or my knowledge is bottomless, there's always things to work on and I'm always learning but this doesn't make a person better than someone else. I'm certainly useless at a lot of things but this is something I've spent countless hours on over many years (the word obsession comes to mind).

Nathon Holle is a beast!

• Like 1

KapMan
5 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Im not sure if your trolling or just a negative person but id weight trained for a couple years bare handed no mixed grip on deads etc before I tried grippers, I couldn't finish #1 right hand and my left was a good bit weaker, took me 5 months to close #2 both hands, 2 years to close an easy #3 right hand etc I'd also been an angler to national level prior to weight training and started at about 5 and there's s fair bit of hand strength required for that. I nor Becca said programming is impeccable or my knowledge is bottomless, there's always things to work on and I'm always learning but this doesn't make a person better than someone else. I'm certainly useless at a lot of things but this is something I've spent countless hours on over many years (the word obsession comes to mind).

Nathon Holle is a beast!

Think it was a compliment.

Down the rabbit hole we further decend

• Like 1

Paul Savage
2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Think it was a compliment.

Down the rabbit hole we further decend

No he was saying I have good genetics and that's where my strength comes from not from programming and knowledge etc was basically mocking me

Yeah, I'll leave this thread be now, not interested in the negativity Internet arguing isn't my fortay these days, just wanted to help someone.

• Like 1

KapMan
2 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

No he was saying I have good genetics and that's where my strength comes from not from programming and knowledge etc was basically mocking me

Yeah, I'll leave this thread be now, not interested in the negativity Internet arguing isn't my fortay these days, just wanted to help someone.

Fair enough. Adios 

• Like 1

Aleksandar Milosevic
7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

So Laine took the time to break down a training regime for you, and you did it less than a week before quitting? Wtf?

on your behalf, i will apologize to Laine for you for wasting his time.

also, you started a thread here that literally solicited our advice with the title, and have done nothing but swat all the advice down that has been offered.

bang up job. Good luck coach.

You didn't read everything I wrote, you just write what you want to write. Program was followed to the letter and done completely. 

With regards to the advice, you're correct in a way, but some of the advice was getting CoC grippers, which I did, and I learned a fair bit about other grippers.

Thank you for the good luck wishes.

Aleksandar Milosevic
7 hours ago, BeccaRoberts said:

I would like to say, that as a "strength and conditioning coach" with a degree this type of attitide towards female sport is really disappointing.

Its attitudes like yours that holds the female sport back.

That's like saying people that don't care about sports in general are holding all sports back. A lot of the top coaches in sports don't care about other sports or think about them. 

I really don't wanna go into politics and male-female dynamics in today's society, but I'll just say that being a female gives you way more opportunity in everything that you choose.

I will now stop responding in this thread, thank you all again.

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic

Hopefully
6 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

You do. 

And of course you still have trained hard for it. I'm not disputing that. However, there are many guys who have also trained hard in the pursuit of great gripper strength. Many with the #4 as a goal. Training hard and smart really isn't that big of a deal. Aside from the obviously very gifted ones few have gotten to a #4 mms close (if anyone). Even Teemu ilvesniemi who arguably was somewhat gifted tried his all to accomplish it but still ultimately failed to do it. Morgan here who some even seem to regard as one of the strongest crush guys ever can just about close a #4 on the easy side. 

You have made it pretty clear before that you don't consider a #4 mms close a big deal and that it is achieveable by just about anyone given the right training and dedication for it. Well, that simply is not the reality. That is mocking the many people who have trained for it and given it their all but havent been able to do it. 

Saying you dont have a knack for it and you just wanted it bad enough is pretty arrogant in my opinion. I recall wade gillingham giving the same point of view in a discussion with you somewhere. He trained hard for years but never closed the #4 as far as I know. 

Edited by Hopefully

BeccaRoberts
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

You do. 

And of course you still have trained hard for it. I'm not disputing that. However, there are many guys who have also trained hard in the pursuit of great gripper strength. Many with the #4 as a goal. Training hard and smart really isn't that big of a deal. Aside from the obviously very gifted ones few have gotten to a #4 mms close (if anyone). Even Teemu ilvesniemi who arguably was somewhat gifted tried his all to accomplish it but still ultimately failed to do it. Morgan here who some even seem to regard as one of the strongest crush guys ever can just about close a #4 on the easy side. 

You have made it pretty clear before that you don't consider a #4 mms close a big deal and that it is achieveable by just about anyone given the right training and dedication for it. Well, that simply is not the reality. That is mocking the many people who have trained for it and given it their all but havent been able to do it. 

Saying you dont have a knack for it and you just wanted it bad enough is pretty arrogant in my opinion. I recall wade gillingham giving the same point of view in a discussion with you somewhere. He trained hard for years but never closed the #4 as far as I know. 

Honestly this is all just a cop out, its so easy for someone to just play the genetics card and to be honest that is what is pretty arrogant in my opinion.

Unless you have done what it takes to close #4's and be at that high a level you don't know what it takes to do it, simple as that. You also don't know Paul, train with Paul, or live with Paul like i do. He trains very hard and he has done thousands of hours of grip intensive manual labour along with it, as well as taking daily icebaths for years straight at times. It's not what everybody does, sorry. 

As for his knowledge, it's not normal either, again your talking thousands of hours of research and a lot of very specific trial and error. It's not something you can just get from a degree. He is always watching videos, reading up on things and keeping up to date with training of athletes in many different sports. (It does get annoying when i want a cuddle 😂)

I don't have the knowledge Paul has, i try to learn what i can but i know for a fact not all the top athletes know everything. Yes some will know things Paul doesn't, he would be the first to admit that but it can be surprising what gets overlooked. Even well seasoned worlds strongest man athletes make big mistakes in technique and training, there's loads of things Paul picks up on all the time and these things add up.

Ive personally seen how Paul tries to take in any advice that is given, no matter who by. Just recently we were with David Horne and Jerome Bloom and he shut up and listened, he doesnt ever think 'oh i know more than him' or 'im stronger than him' so i wont listen to what hes saying. He is always, always willing to learn and thats what makes him different. 

Hopefully
58 minutes ago, BeccaRoberts said:

Honestly this is all just a cop out, its so easy for someone to just play the genetics card and to be honest that is what is pretty arrogant in my opinion.

Unless you have done what it takes to close #4's and be at that high a level you don't know what it takes to do it, simple as that. You also don't know Paul, train with Paul, or live with Paul like i do. He trains very hard and he has done thousands of hours of grip intensive manual labour along with it, as well as taking daily icebaths for years straight at times. It's not what everybody does, sorry.  

The genetics card is not arrogant, it is realistic. You hold several world records, no wonder you don't understand the genetics card.

You have trained hard, had good coaching, you have probably made training a priority in your life and sacrificed lots of things to get where you want to be right? Trained for hours a day all week? You have earned those records. You weren't simply gifted them by natural talent alone. Well, you arent the only one who tries that hard. You succeeded because you fought for it yes, but without your genetics you wouldn’t have made it. Simple as that. 

In every sport there are tons of people who trains their ass off to succeed and be the best, many have big dreams and make sacrifices to get where they wanna be. Some make it some do not. Those that then do succeed, what separates them from the others? Were they willing to sacrifice more? Did they have the mental toughness to push themselves further? Did they believe in themselves so hard that through belief they made their Dreams possible? Did they take lce baths every night before bed? 

No, they had talent, more talent than the rest. They were better made for it. 

Paul is not the only one who has a passion for training. I have been around long enough to know what's up. I have seen my fair share of gifted people and the other end of the spectrum too. Some things at the pinnacle or near it in every sport is not for everyone who simply wants it and fight for it. 

The #4 is such a thing that is not for everyone. Thinking you can achieve anything through working hard is naive. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though if closing it is a goal. And insinuating that others simply do not work as hard and therefore do not succeed is insulting. 

And I'm sure Paul's a nice guy. 

Paul Savage
46 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

The genetics card is not arrogant, it is realistic. You hold several world records, no wonder you don't understand the genetics card.

You have trained hard, had good coaching, you have probably made training a priority in your life and sacrificed lots of things to get where you want to be right? Trained for hours a day all week? You have earned those records. You weren't simply gifted them by natural talent alone. Well, you arent the only one who tries that hard. You succeeded because you fought for it yes, but without your genetics you wouldn’t have made it. Simple as that. 

In every sport there are tons of people who trains their ass off to succeed and be the best, many have big dreams and make sacrifices to get where they wanna be. Some make it some do not. Those that then do succeed, what separates them from the others? Were they willing to sacrifice more? Did they have the mental toughness to push themselves further? Did they believe in themselves so hard that through belief they made their Dreams possible? Did they take lce baths every night before bed? 

No, they had talent, more talent than the rest. They were better made for it. 

Paul is not the only one who has a passion for training. I have been around long enough to know what's up. I have seen my fair share of gifted people and the other end of the spectrum too. Some things at the pinnacle or near it in every sport is not for everyone who simply wants it and fight for it. 

The #4 is such a thing that is not for everyone. Thinking you can achieve anything through working hard is naive. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though if closing it is a goal. And insinuating that others simply do not work as hard and therefore do not succeed is insulting. 

And I'm sure Paul's a nice guy. 

We both get your train of thought and understand where you are coming from and agree with you 100% in one sense, but there's things your not thinking of. Firstly, nobody that has freaky amazing genetics has put 10+ years into training that's completely focused on grippers, doing thousand of hours of training, research and competing with some of the best etc With other sports that are more established the reality is the bar would be much higher because of those genetics. There's been people that have closed #3 straight away, i met a guy that had never touched a gripper or done any specific grip training and he took my #3 down to 1/8" without the best position and no chalk after a heavy set of reverse curls (90kg!) so pre exhausted. That's a genetic freak. These kind of guys have closed #3.5's without much effort or specific training, the reason they havent gone on to warm up on #4's is not because they can't physically get there, it's because they don't care to and don't want to focus on it / don't have the passion for it. Sorry but i don't have anything close to these kind of genetics, again i couldn't close a #1 even after years of bare handed weight training and being a competitive angler since very young which requires a fair amount of grip and forearm strength. My progress has also reflected this, again it took years of being obsessed with grippers to even get an easy #3 closed strong hand. My recovery is slow and i get injured for doing the slightest thing wrong and even doing nothing at all wrong and everything right sometimes (ask becca!), i also get sore as all hell from training always. I've trained a bunch of normal people with more natural strength that have no big accomplishments, recover quicker and never get injured when they never even try to hydrate or prepare at all for training, and almost never get sore etc With Becca she definitely has good genetics, big frame, a lot of height which helps long term if you work hard, big hands, doesn't get much lactic acid build up in her muscles which helps with high reps etc but she also has naturally poor coordination, her recovery is ok but not fast, she naturally holds too much body fat despite eating well etc and most importantly shes not naturally strong, as said, she struggled with 60kg deadlifts when i first started training her, had almost no shoulder strength etc Keeping in mind she was 170kg thats really not that good. Terry hollands for examply could deadlift 270kg when he first deadlifted and it's a similar story with a lot of the other top guys. With people like that things come easier than most too, ive seen it loads of times in person and they have a big advantage when injured as they stay a lot stronger which adds up over time. There are women that are naturally strong but there isnt really the genetic freaks at this point like there is in the mens. This is why becca has climbed up the ranks so quickly, again the bar isn't as high as other sports, it's not because she has those freak genetics. 

Of course the #4 is not for everyone but what % of people will dedicate there entire lives to it for many years? 0.something. Fact is most don't care to spend hours a night researching, 5 hour training sessions, contrast baths with ice and kettle boiled water etc I only got to that level because for whatever reason i cared so much, an honestly i couldn't tell you what that reason is / was, i guess im just a bit nuts.

• Like 1

jchapman
1 hour ago, Paul Savage said:

We both get your train of thought and understand where you are coming from and agree with you 100% in one sense, but there's things your not thinking of. Firstly, nobody that has freaky amazing genetics has put 10+ years into training that's completely focused on grippers, doing thousand of hours of training, research and competing with some of the best etc With other sports that are more established the reality is the bar would be much higher because of those genetics. There's been people that have closed #3 straight away, i met a guy that had never touched a gripper or done any specific grip training and he took my #3 down to 1/8" without the best position and no chalk after a heavy set of reverse curls (90kg!) so pre exhausted. That's a genetic freak. These kind of guys have closed #3.5's without much effort or specific training, the reason they havent gone on to warm up on #4's is not because they can't physically get there, it's because they don't care to and don't want to focus on it / don't have the passion for it. Sorry but i don't have anything close to these kind of genetics, again i couldn't close a #1 even after years of bare handed weight training and being a competitive angler since very young which requires a fair amount of grip and forearm strength. My progress has also reflected this, again it took years of being obsessed with grippers to even get an easy #3 closed strong hand. My recovery is slow and i get injured for doing the slightest thing wrong and even doing nothing at all wrong and everything right sometimes (ask becca!), i also get sore as all hell from training always. I've trained a bunch of normal people with more natural strength that have no big accomplishments, recover quicker and never get injured when they never even try to hydrate or prepare at all for training, and almost never get sore etc With Becca she definitely has good genetics, big frame, a lot of height which helps long term if you work hard, big hands, doesn't get much lactic acid build up in her muscles which helps with high reps etc but she also has naturally poor coordination, her recovery is ok but not fast, she naturally holds too much body fat despite eating well etc and most importantly shes not naturally strong, as said, she struggled with 60kg deadlifts when i first started training her, had almost no shoulder strength etc Keeping in mind she was 170kg thats really not that good. Terry hollands for examply could deadlift 270kg when he first deadlifted and it's a similar story with a lot of the other top guys. With people like that things come easier than most too, ive seen it loads of times in person and they have a big advantage when injured as they stay a lot stronger which adds up over time. There are women that are naturally strong but there isnt really the genetic freaks at this point like there is in the mens. This is why becca has climbed up the ranks so quickly, again the bar isn't as high as other sports, it's not because she has those freak genetics. 

Of course the #4 is not for everyone but what % of people will dedicate there entire lives to it for many years? 0.something. Fact is most don't care to spend hours a night researching, 5 hour training sessions, contrast baths with ice and kettle boiled water etc I only got to that level because for whatever reason i cared so much, an honestly i couldn't tell you what that reason is / was, i guess im just a bit nuts.

Who are the guys who have closed #3.5s without much effort?

king crusher

Good lord, a 5 hour gripper workout? I couldn't imagine.  Not to mention all that other stuff you mentioned. 

Ny idea of a gripper workout has alway been the same. Maybe a few warm up squeezes of my one and two and then a few min of randomly closing my 3's or bigger grippers and that's it.

I used to do tons of reps though for 30 or more minutes. I sometimes feel like doing that again.  

The only way I've ever closed my 4 is by chest crushing it lol

Paul Savage
18 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Who are the guys who have closed #3.5s without much effort?

There's been a bunch, there's well known ones like kirill sarychev, rich Williams etc but there is also guys like that guy I seen in the gym who nobody knows and who has never competed. He even took my #3.5 to 1/4" and again no chalk (of course no set either) had no idea what grippers were, never trained grip etc

Really have to stop posting in this thread now guys, stuff to do haha

KapMan

Ive become closer to closing my 3.5s without much effort. Pretty sure a 5 hour workout would do more harm then good. A gripper workout that rivals Rich Piana’s 8 hour arm workout.  No thanks

edit: i know this sounded like a douche comment. Alls Im saying is, if I pulled a extended workout id end up doing more harm then good. 1-2 hours tops even then, im tempting fate. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 1

jchapman

There's been a bunch, there's well known ones like kirill sarychev, rich Williams etc but there is also guys like that guy I seen in the gym who nobody knows and who has never competed. He even took my #3.5 to 1/4" and again no chalk (of course no set either) had no idea what grippers were, never trained grip etc

Really have to stop posting in this thread now guys, stuff to do haha

So two guys.

Aleksandar Milosevic

I said I was not going to post...

Kiril Sarychev is one of the strongest people to ever live, strongest bench presser in the history of mankind and he has a decade of grip training + huge hands.

The other example is a guy that held the axle world record and all-around grip strength legend Rich Williams.

Hopefully

Anything less than equivalent to those guys in the genetic department couldn't possibly be considered 'good'.

Edited by Hopefully

Hopefully
8 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

s.

I am also guilty of comparing myself against the best of the best, the most gifted ones in whatever activity I pursued at the moment. When I was younger that is, nowadays I know this mindset can only bring oneself suffering so I have changed my outlook.

I used to give it my everything to be the best in bench press, at least on a national level. I dedicated much more time and years than what it was worth pursuing this. I finally realized what I'm doing isn't really making me happy, just miserable. I could never be the best, I just couldn't touch the guys who came down in the gym, lifted semi casually for a few months and then put up near record lifts without knowing what they are doing basically. How do you compete with that? The answer is that you can't. I thought of myself as having bad genetics and beat myself up for not making it.

The reality is though I achieved a pretty high level in comparison to most guys. My body type is just about perfect for lifting big in the bench. I have friends who could never keep up with me even though they tried desperately. I just wasn't one of the 'freaks'. I just wasn't Kirill caliber. 

But if I would consider myself having bad genetics then what should the ones who wasn't as good as me think of themselves? What if I said that I don't consider a double bodyweight bench a big deal, in fact I think that's the bare minimum for non heavyweights to be considered a good lift. I do however realize that those lifts arent possible if you dont have some kind of talent for the bench or strength in general. You don't need to be blessed with hercules genetics, but you do need to have at least a knack for it. It is the same with the #4 gripper. Which you said yourself finally.

Edited by Hopefully