When to get grippers rated

devinhoo

38 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Cannon,  quick CoC question.  I was reading that it's rare to have the older double stamp grippers with the newer chrom-ish looking gr8 springs. Is that correct? My #4 fits that description. 

I lose track of the EXACT years but there are threads about this around the Gripboard, or someone will correct me.  But there was a period around 2004-05 where IM had debuted the GR8 spring but the handles did not yet have C*O*C around the ends.  They did have "captains of crush" around the middle-of-the-handle trade dress.  By 2006 the grippers looked like they do now.  So in that sense, I supposed there is a "limited" number of those transition grippers.  However, I have not personally seen them come up for sale and command any kind of premium. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

My only concern with filing them myself is that at that point I feel like I would be swinging wildly with respect to individual RGC's. At that point I'm likely to really venture into the weeds and try to rate them myself by tying them to a squat rack and hanging weight from them 😅

Why not the RB? Going off your current used grippers for sale, I could get a used 260N rated 122 and a used CoC3 rated 150 (so I have a long term goal in hand). I also found a used CoC on eBay rated 143 that would work for the second to last spot. Top that off with an GHP 6, and that would give me ~107, 122, ~135, 143, and 150.

I'm also happy to follow up with you via email, as I'm starting to get somewhat overly detailed now.

The filing just doesn't matter from a functional standpoint.  If you're concerned with appearance, then yeah, filing can be done "well" or "fugly".  But as long as the gripper closes farther than before, you've succeeded no matter how it looks.  (Side note, I can make a case for 'farther' or 'further' in that context and it bothers the English Major side of me.)   

Also, don't necessarily think of filing as taking off half the handle all at once.  If you get filing service from CPW, we're actually taking off quite a bit.  I would say close to the max you'd want to take off, all in one shot.  But if you're doing it yourself, it can be like micro-loading.  You can even start with some 100 grit sand paper.  Take the inside edge off.  Get it shut.  Take a little more.  Train.  Get it shut.  Take more.... In that way you can progressively close the gap to the next gripper without buying more grippers. 

Regarding RBs, I have just never trained with them much because the handles are 20mm metric instead of 3/4" stock.  The closed position is SLIGHTLY wider (for your hand) than that on an IM/GHP/Tetting gripper.  And if you're trying to move from 105 to 135 with only ONE gripper... I would want that gripper to be 3/4" handles.  Once you have the 135 gripper closed, I personally feel like the 145 is "extra."  I think you could get to 150 by putting reps on the 135.  But it definitely would help to have a gripper at 145 and in my mind...  that's where I would put the RB.  As kind of a bridge.   

We've got some pre-rated grippers going up soon and there are #2.5s in the low 120s that will be in there.  They're not that hard to find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I lose track of the EXACT years but there are threads about this around the Gripboard, or someone will correct me.  But there was a period around 2004-05 where IM had debuted the GR8 spring but the handles did not yet have C*O*C around the ends.  They did have "captains of crush" around the middle-of-the-handle trade dress.  By 2006 the grippers looked like they do now.  So in that sense, I supposed there is a "limited" number of those transition grippers.  However, I have not personally seen them come up for sale and command any kind of premium. 

Yeah that's what I read on an old thread I didnt want to bump it though. Nice, guess my #4 is "rare" ha. Okay carry on here!

23 hours ago, Cannon said:

The filing just doesn't matter from a functional standpoint.  If you're concerned with appearance, then yeah, filing can be done "well" or "fugly".  But as long as the gripper closes farther than before, you've succeeded no matter how it looks.  (Side note, I can make a case for 'farther' or 'further' in that context and it bothers the English Major side of me.)   

Also, don't necessarily think of filing as taking off half the handle all at once.  If you get filing service from CPW, we're actually taking off quite a bit.  I would say close to the max you'd want to take off, all in one shot.  But if you're doing it yourself, it can be like micro-loading.  You can even start with some 100 grit sand paper.  Take the inside edge off.  Get it shut.  Take a little more.  Train.  Get it shut.  Take more.... In that way you can progressively close the gap to the next gripper without buying more grippers. 

Regarding RBs, I have just never trained with them much because the handles are 20mm metric instead of 3/4" stock.  The closed position is SLIGHTLY wider (for your hand) than that on an IM/GHP/Tetting gripper.  And if you're trying to move from 105 to 135 with only ONE gripper... I would want that gripper to be 3/4" handles.  Once you have the 135 gripper closed, I personally feel like the 145 is "extra."  I think you could get to 150 by putting reps on the 135.  But it definitely would help to have a gripper at 145 and in my mind...  that's where I would put the RB.  As kind of a bridge.   

We've got some pre-rated grippers going up soon and there are #2.5s in the low 120s that will be in there.  They're not that hard to find.

@Cannon I appreciate the feedback. I'm new to grippers so I don't know brand differences very well yet. I'll keep an eye out for the grippers you're talking about. It's not going to hurt to be patient I guess.

As far as filing, I'll probably cross that bridge when I come to it, but it's definitely something I'll consider. I'm just hesitant to modify something that cannot be undone and that will change it's measured (or average) RGC. If I decide to get some more HG's in the future I might file those down since they're cheaper already, but could be made into an even more versatile tool with filing. Has anyone put together a guide on how to file a gripper effectively? Not to take business away from you, but I'm sure there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.

I think the filing question gets asked often but really it's far more simple than you're imagining. Literally get a file scrap it against the handle to remove material.  Start out slow,  because it's irreversible and also because too big a jump won't do you any good. Example is if you can get 10 reps on a gripper,  you file it slightly and now you can only get 7. Train on this until you're back up to 10 reps then file slightly again.  Repeat.

Edited by Climber028
Type
  • Like 2

I couldn't imagine filing one of my grippers. I'm a bit ocd when it comes to keeping things in top shape though! Maybe if I had another junker or something. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I couldn't imagine filing one of my grippers. I'm a bit ocd when it comes to keeping things in top shape though! Maybe if I had another junker or something. 

That's kind of how I'm feeling. If I had a duplicate maybe get it filed by CPW.... but I'd be concerned about doing it myself. 😓

There's really no wrong way to do it, as long as you don't file the spring you're doing great

I had an HG200 that I "filed" while on vacation by rubbing it on a concrete curb for a while.  The hardest part was finding an abrasive surface where I could get to the inside edge of the handle.  The curb worked great.  Like sharpening a popsicle stick.

• Haha 1

Oh, I'm not talking about not being able to file it, I'm saying I wouldn't want to lol.

My angle grinder would file a gripper in a few seconds lol

• Like 1

I still have never filed a Gripper 

Filing tip 1: it's not the direct center of the handle, it twists a bit as you close it so check it as you file

Filing tip 2: you can "unfile" with a bit of hot glue. Might even have training benefits because it's squishy so will add a little more resistance as you close on it

Filing tip 3: nobody ever does it, but you could reduce the total length of the handles to make a gripper harder. That one might be interesting...

7 hours ago, Chez said:

I still have never filed a Gripper 

Don’t you own like 40+ grippers?

;)

19 hours ago, king crusher said:

Oh, I'm not talking about not being able to file it, I'm saying I wouldn't want to lol.

My angle grinder would file a gripper in a few seconds lol

That's my feeling too. I wouldn't file a dumbbell or permanently alter a blob. Makes me feel real weird to file down a gripper. It would be one thing if they were cheap and didn't have to be rated it be accurate.

• Like 1

@Jedd Johnson actually answered my question about rgc progression on his youtube channel today. Super helpful. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, devinhoo said:

@Jedd Johnson actually answered my question about rgc progression on his youtube channel today. Super helpful. :D

I'm sure this thread is what gave him the idea lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, king crusher said:

I'm sure this thread is what gave him the idea lol

It's good advice no matter the reason.  :flowers: