Middle East and North Africa Strongest Grip Contest

Alawadhi

Hello Grip Guys. Last year we had King Kong here in Dubai. It was great and many liked it. I decided to host it last moment thanks to my friend Jedd Johnson. Now I am hosting another grip contest on Friday March 8th 2019. Plan is around 6 hours for the events to be completed. Long list of event. There will be WR too here I hope.

First will be the IM RT. IM rules. All IM rules will be recognized by IronMind.

Second, Baseline dyno Crush. No jerking allowed. Arms at 90 degrees and can straighten it out to 180 degrees but without jerking. Can twist the hands/arms so palm is facing the sky. Should start slowly then accelerate. But no jerk is allowed. Two attempts allowed. The best attempt is chosen.

Third, IM blockbuster. IM rules

Forth, IM little big horn. IM rules.

Fifth, IM hub. IM rules

Rest for 45 Minutes.

Sixth, Two hand pinch euro hold. David horn rules.

Seven, Axle for maximum reps or Apollos Wheels Replica for reps. If the Apollo's wheel came on time then we use it. Deadlift for Maximum reps. Both type of grip is allowed; DO and mixed. One DO grip will be more than any reps using mixed grip. You get the point. Conventianal and Sumo stances both are allowed. If the Apollo's wheeles didn't come on time then my Axle and only DO lift will be allowed and 3 attempts.

Eight, Pinch endurance, Blobs for reps 1.5 (90 seconds) minute to a stand. Starting weight is 50 LB blob (blob 50/half of 100) and 2.5 pounds less up to 40. the next one down is the 32.5 blob. Again, one rep on blob 50 will be more than 10 reps on 47.5 blob. It is York blobs.

Only chalk is allowed here. Prizes are:
First prize AED 1500 + Medal (AED 1500 will be over USD $400)
Second prize AED 1000 + Medal
Third Prize AED 500 + Medal
Next 7 people will get Medals. There will be prizes by IM too but I will confirm what it is later when I get more information.

Competition is called Strongest grip in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA region). All locals and residence can compete and win. Invites will be sent starting tomorrow to people in the region. Guest lifter who is not a resident here CAN compete but will not be ranked in the region. Will get Medals as a guest lifter and overall winner (assuming he won). World records by guest can and of course be counted under the organization standards.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Hello Grip Guys. Last year we had King Kong here in Dubai. It was great and many liked it. I decided to host it last moment thanks to my friend Jedd Johnson. Now I am hosting another grip contest on Friday March 8th 2019. Plan is around 6 hours for the events to be completed. Long list of event. There will be WR too here I hope.

First will be the IM RT. IM rules. All IM rules will be recognized by IronMind.

Second, Baseline dyno Crush. No jerking allowed. Arms at 90 degrees and can straighten it out to 180 degrees but without jerking. Can twist the hands/arms so palm is facing the sky. Should start slowly then accelerate. But no jerk is allowed. Two attempts allowed. The best attempt is chosen.

Third, IM blockbuster. IM rules

Forth, IM little big horn. IM rules.

Fifth, IM hub. IM rules

Rest for 45 Minutes.

Sixth, Two hand pinch euro hold. David horn rules.

Seven, Axle for maximum reps or Apollos Wheels Replica for reps. If the Apollo's wheel came on time then we use it. Deadlift for Maximum reps. Both type of grip is allowed; DO and mixed. One DO grip will be more than any reps using mixed grip. You get the point. Conventianal and Sumo stances both are allowed. If the Apollo's wheeles didn't come on time then my Axle and only DO lift will be allowed and 3 attempts.

Eight, Pinch endurance, Blobs for reps 1.5 (90 seconds) minute to a stand. Starting weight is 50 LB blob (blob 50/half of 100) and 2.5 pounds less up to 40. the next one down is the 32.5 blob. Again, one rep on blob 50 will be more than 10 reps on 47.5 blob. It is York blobs.

Only chalk is allowed here. Prizes are:
First prize AED 1500 + Medal (AED 1500 will be over USD $400)
Second prize AED 1000 + Medal
Third Prize AED 500 + Medal
Next 7 people will get Medals. There will be prizes by IM too but I will confirm what it is later when I get more information.

Competition is called Strongest grip in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA region). All locals and residence can compete and win. Invites will be sent starting tomorrow to people in the region. Guest lifter who is not a resident here CAN compete but will not be ranked in the region. Will get Medals as a guest lifter and overall winner (assuming he won). World records by guest can and of course be counted under the organization standards.

Man those are some MOTIVATING PRIZES!

• 1 month later...

Few updates:

No entrance fee.

Free refreshment drinks to everyone (water and juices).

Have a cafeteria which sells everything.

Place for kids and adults as spectators.

Grip test, strongman test events for spectators.

Few strong Athletes are coming from far. Names will be given once 100% confirmed.

Video's will be recorded. Few DVD's will be given to people for free.

Trophies and medals for everyone who competes.

Prize money will be more. What is already there is for the pro division. For the amateurs will have another prize money which is AED 500 for the first, AED 250 2nd and AED 150 for third.

All competitors will have their own T-shirts.

Lucky draw for some spectators with a vouchers and free phones.

Old news on IronMind is here http://www.ironmind.com/news/2019-Strongest-Grip-Middle-East-and-Northern-Africa/ and wait for the new ones.

Edit: IronMind will provide gift cards!

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

The Apollo's Wheels is here! Will be used in the comp! Things are becoming more and more interesting.

20190221_164557.thumb.jpg.70f0563a494d67cdd4357d95cfe47094.jpg20190221_164419.thumb.jpg.08fb38b7a47d38c7bdea9a7a3b2110b8.jpg20190221_164425.thumb.jpg.ca91239a15507ae29807856f14173d8b.jpg20190221_164443.thumb.jpg.6228907447561a6eb27ed127d35ce226.jpg20190221_164542.thumb.jpg.6e397a368a9f76f665e1e4b9887ed34d.jpg

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 4

Wow! Those wheels look amazing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There will be NN 2.375 record breaking. Luke sent it for free. Thanks @Lucasraymond. There will also be SB record breaker too. Dr. Strossen kindly sent us one for the comp. Thanks to him and IronMind.

• Like 1

Okay guys. Everything was done less than 48 hours back. It was such a great contest. There were two classes. Pro and Amateurs. Pro is anyone who usually does will in a grip comp (based on the members decision) and the pro strongmen, well because they are. Josh Thigpen (who did a thumbless lift of the Inch after approx 5 hours of competing) and Bryan Benzel are professional strongmen and Bryan has 200KG log press with ease. Amateurs are the people who doesn't train grip often (or at all). Or just train once in a while. I would like again to thank Pro Strongman Marc Van Der Haer for hosting the comp at his gym and keeping the score-sheets, arrangements, and made things tons easier for all of us. Of course I thank all of Leader Sports staff that helped in everything else. There was plenty of food for everyone. Free entry. Prizes for both Pro and Amateurs division. Things just were perfect. Dr. Randall Strossen was there too to make sure things are moving well and is up to the standard of IM. I again thank him for coming. All chalk were cleaned before any new attempt on new implements. Now to the comp and results. Let's start with the pro division. I'll write the best lift and the final miss lift except the dyno we took the best out of two attempts. All weights in KG and names are arranged top the first and bottom the last. Scores were reverse strongman scoring system.

Pro Division:                           RT                 BaselineDyno             IMpinchBlock        IM LBH            IM hub          2hp euro hold       Apollon axle replica in 90sec     Blob to 25 inch stand in 90sec

Laine Snook                    115/131.5          110                           41/45                      87/109.3         22.5/25        85Kg 8 seconds        1     DO grip                                      Blob50 24 reps

Josh Thigpen                 110/115               105                         31/33.5                    82/87                25/27.5       No Attempt                12    DO grip                                    No lift at blob50 didn't go less

Bryan Benzel                  90/95                    97                          31/33.5                     77/82                20/22.5        No Attempt                5      DO grip                                    1 rep blob 40

Amateur Division

Sam Sopolinski          105/107.5              101                     38.5/41                  82/87                   25/27.5             85KG 5.5 Sec            10 DO grip                            Blob50 16 reps

Bader S.T. Alawadhi   70/75                     108                   31/33.5                72/77                     22.5/25               70KG 16 Sec             6 mixed grip                        Blob50 7 reps

Jack Mousell              80/85                      93                     31/33.5                67/72                      17.5/20              55KG 31 Sec              0 (didn't go mixed)           Blob50 5 reps

Salem Herzallah      70/75                        89                    31/33.5                 57/67                      17.5/20               55KG 16 Sec              11 mixed grip                  40 LBS blob 4 reps

James Garrad       80/85                          85                     26/28.5                 72/77                   17.5/2                  55KG 14 Sec               0 (didn't go mixed)           32.5 blob 4 reps

Christoph Koch        55/60                      69                      23.5/26                57/62                     15/17.5               No Attempt                  No attempt                      32.5 blob 7 reps

Yeah yeah why is the euro so hard? The euro is as sharp as hell and very slippery. Overall it was an amazing experience. Next year will be even bigger and better!

Overall Rank in the region

Bader S.T. Alawadhi

Jack Mousell

Salem Herzallah

James Garrad

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 10

Sam Sopolinki is strong! Never heard of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Sam Sopolinki is strong! Never heard of him.

Very. Yep you haven't and neither did anyone else. Wait a year and see what happens. Plan is in motion!

Great competition!

Awesome results from very strong athletes! 

Congrats to all competitors!

• Like 2

That looks like a great contest!! Great job, Bader!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kashtan said:

Great competition!

Awesome results from very strong athletes! 

Congrats to all competitors!

Thank you!

17 hours ago, Kashtan said:

Any video?

Yes but please give me this week time until my guests leave then I'll upload. Plus it was recorded on video as a full event and we will get the DVD's soon.

15 hours ago, burkhardmacht said:

That looks like a great contest!! Great job, Bader!!

You are welcome and thanks!

2 hours ago, Mywor said:

Great job Bader, very cool contest! 

Thanks !!!

How did the lack of chalk on the implements affect things? 

Guys, few people asked me about the results. It's simple. If there is one number, then that's the result. In KG's. If there are two numbers, the first one is the best lift and the second number is the lift they've missed.

5 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

How did the lack of chalk on the implements affect things? 

A lot. But I like this because too much chalk on the implements will affect the lift from one place to another. I had smooth everything. Cleaned it before every attempt. Chalk on the hands only is allowed. We followed the same style on other implements besides IronMind tools because we felt it was right. Chalk your hands and go.

Some clip from the event

Another longer clip with more events

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 2