Larry Wheels lifts the Inch Dumbbell

Bornintothe

6 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

The only reason im gonna disagree here is because Larry is training partners with The WSM right now. Im sure they have talked.. and Larry is aware of the steps he’ll need to take to become a podium finisher after confiding with Thor. That said, i dont think he will be walking away any time in the next couple of years.

but, this is a good post. I had no idea the extent of qualifying to get to the Worlds comp. i kind of assumed it was like a decent sized venue to qualify for Arnold (like LA expo, Europa, The Coleman, etc.). And then a strong finish at Arnold meant an invite to Worlds. It almost seems comparable to arm wrestling in the sense that anyone can sign up in the open or pro class in a qualifying tournament. If their feeling froggy enough to skip the ams. Is this untrue? Or will he be forced to compete amature?

I apologize in advance, this is probably going to be a long and convoluted response. Things get a little weird with the terms amateur and pro in strongman. In the US there are 2 amateur strongman organizations: Strongman Corporation (SC) and United States Strongman (USS). SC has been around much longer and gives out "pro cards" to winners or the top 3 of certain contests (like the amateur Arnold or SC nationals respectively). A pro card basically just means that you can compete in pro shows run by SC which is basically only America's Strongest Man. It also means that you can't compete in amateur SC competitions any more in the weight class in which you are a pro. Anyone can sign up to do a local amateur strongman show. You qualify for SC nationals by winning the local show. The top percentage of finishers at nationals qualify for the amateur Arnold. You can also qualify for the amateur Arnold by winning a platinum plus SC show like the LA fit expo show. The winner of the heavy weight amateur Arnold qualifies for the Arnold Strongman Classic with the big boys and the top placing American wins his pro card.

You don't need a SC "pro card" to compete at WSM. WSM only has 30 athletes, spots go to the 10 finalists from the year before, the podiums of any Giants Live show (there are typically 4 to 5 a year), and the remainder are invites which will sometimes go to Giants Live participants that didn't podium or sometimes winners of a country's Strongest Man contest. 

That being said there are other opportunities for professional strongman contests without having a SC pro card. Winners of USS nationals often get opportunities to compete in Strongman Champions League. USS has also had local amateur contests with the winner of the open HW class qualifying for some of the international pro Arnold shows around the world. To qualify for the Arnold Strongman Classic in Ohio you have to win last year's Arnold Classic, one of the international Arnolds, the amateur Arnold, or build up enough points in the international shows. 

• Like 1

The newest thor/larry video just dropped onYouTube. Larry moved down and back with 783lbs on yoke pretty well. And it's the guys second time doing yoke lol. 

He has a lot of work to do in the squat though. 

4 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Awesome post! Thank you!

and to the bold, i wish arm wrestling would do this! We get a lot of sand baggers pulling the ams when they have no business doing so. Its usually low level pros that get beat up in the open class by stiffer competition tho.

You're welcome. I'm kind of a strongman nerd so I know all this stuff.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, king crusher said:

Just proving my point you can be within your proper BMI and still look like you lift, if you're lean enough.  

Totally agree.  But not everyone wants to be a skinny guy like you.  Some want to actually look swole and be able to lift small vehicles.  I have spent the majority of my 51 years trying my best not to look like you.  I was 165 lbs in high school.  Luckily, through hard work and dedication, I was able to beat anorexia.  The skateboarder body is not for everyone.   To each his own though.  You very obviously think a lot of the way you look.  So congrats on getting where you want to be.  

I'm off to have a Newport and a honeybun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Totally agree.  But not everyone wants to be a skinny guy like you.  Some want to actually look swole and be able to lift small vehicles.  I have spent the majority of my 51 years trying my best not to look like you.  I was 165 lbs in high school.  Luckily, through hard work and dedication, I was able to beat anorexia.  The skateboarder body is not for everyone.   To each his own though.  You very obviously think a lot of the way you look.  So congrats on getting where you want to be.  

You said what I was thinking. Just beat me to it!!! 

26 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I find your attempt at trolling adorable, but you're gonna have to try a bit harder next time. 

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Awesome post! Thank you!

and to the bold, i wish arm wrestling would do this! We get a lot of sand baggers pulling the ams when they have no business doing so. Its usually low level pros that get beat up in the open class by stiffer competition tho.

I’ve never understood this behavior. For me, dead last in a pro class is still better than a top spot in the amateur division. IMO the amateur class is mostly there to give new guys, and guys with less talent a class to practice and compete in order to develop their strength and skill so that they don’t break their arms when they move up and enter the pro class. Thankfully though some competitions in Sweden have started implementing some restrictions. If you’ve won an amateur class, you have to compete in pro. 

The situation was terrible a few years ago. I remember when a group of high level pullers from Kazakhstan traveled to Sweden and entered the amateur class. The poor fellers didn’t stand a chance. Heck, most guys in the pro class didn’t stand a chance!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I find your attempt at trolling adorable, but you're gonna have to try a bit harder next time. 

Not trolling lil fella.  Honest.  That pic you posted was way funnier than I could ever be.  Just saying that some people aspire to the soy boy look while others would rather not look like they would bleed out if they bumped into a sharp corner.  I commend you for achieving the look that is appealing to you.  Just not my cup of kale shake.

• Haha 1

Larry is young, strong and seems to have a bunch of athletic talent. I think as far as max weight lifted events he's all set for now. If he would just maintain strength and focus on learning to get good at the events I don't see why he wouldn't move up the ranks quickly: as in seeing him @ WSM in TWO years. He's light but, we've seen light competitors win some of the pulling events in the last couple of years. Light is less stressful on the body overall and recovery is faster so him being relatively light is not a debit in my eyes. At 6' 1" he is a bit short and THAT could affect him BUT, there's certainly nothing he can do about that.....

I wish him well. He kind of reminds me of Arnold who always seemed to be having fun when it came to the weights.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I am greatly offended 😭!

Just kidding! Love you Rhindo 🤣! We all have different goals and different ways of living our lives. It’s SO easy to get caught up with one’s ego and think that everyone else is playing the same game you are. Not all big guys are guys who failed trying to go for the Brad Pit in fight club look. And not all skinny guys are guys who failed to get big and strong.

However, Mike is definitely a skinny guy wannabe failure who tries to pretend that he’s playing the size and strength game. When in fact he’s just a failure who can’t stop stuffing his face with bacon and ice cream 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Not trolling lil fella.  Honest.  That pic you posted was way funnier than I could ever be.  Just saying that some people aspire to the soy boy look while others would rather not look like they would bleed out if they bumped into a sharp corner.  I commend you for achieving the look that is appealing to you.  Just not my cup of kale shake.

Sounds good. 

5 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I am greatly offended 😭!

Just kidding! Love you Rhindo 🤣! We all have different goals and different ways of living our lives. It’s SO easy to get caught up with one’s ego and think that everyone else is playing the same game you are. Not all big guys are guys who failed trying to go for the Brad Pit in fight club look. And not all skinny guys are guys who failed to get big and strong.

However, Mike is definitely a skinny guy wannabe failure who tries to pretend that he’s playing the size and strength game. When in fact he’s just a failure who can’t stop stuffing his face with bacon and ice cream 😜

Brad Pitt is yummy.

As is bacon and ice cream. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle

4 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I am greatly offended 😭!

I used to be more into being big when I was younger, I was 240lbs from 21-34 but even being that heavy was not as healthy as being at a proper BMI.  From 34-38 I stayed between 222-235 or so and now I keep my weight 190-196. Its much healthier for the long term. Lean is more efficient for the heart and cardiovascular system. 

9 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I used to be more into being big when I was younger, I was 240lbs from 21-34 but even being that heavy was not as healthy as being at a proper BMI.  From 34-38 I stayed between 222-235 or so and now I keep my weight 190-196. Its much healthier for the long term. Lean is more efficient for the heart and cardiovascular system. 

The way you come off about it  is of someone with an “I’m better than you because I’m skinny. Basically from your previous posts, you think if all don’t do what you say or emulate your way of thinking , then they are either  fat, not healthy and are  going to die of a heart attack or stroke at 40. I hate to say it, but that just is not so. Everyone has different body types . I have fluctuated between 205 with a 6 pack and a wasp waist to my current 275 with 20 inch arms and 17.5 inch forearms depending on my fitness and strength goals of the moment  and have had zero change in my blood tests or blood pressure/health. I take zero meds and have zero need for any. I don’t get out of breathe and am stronger than most people out there. I can go back to 205 or stay at 275 and everything in between at any given time with little effort. You do so much as to state that if someone does not look as skinny as you or don’t meet the BMI chart recommendations that they somehow are killing themselves. If I was what at the weight the BMI chart told me I should be at 6’4, I would look like an escapee from a concentration camp. Not everyone has the goals you have. And some people’s goals change throughout their life. Many want to be as big and strong as they can be for no other reason than it’s a challenge and awesome and a great feeling to be strong. There is something to be admired in the big and strong and the lean and defined. Having been on both ends of the spectrum, I most certainly feel most comfortable and healthy at a larger size, no matter what a BMI chart says. And if I die of a heart attack feeling good, then it was my time. We can live and pursue our athletic/ physical goals  or we can worry about death and be small. To each their own.