Larry Wheels lifts the Inch Dumbbell

Bornintothe

12 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Like I said before, it's just a way for doctors to tap another money faucet. Making aging guys think they need this with commercials and radio spots etc. When in reality their problem is not testosterone. Most Americans are overweight so it's a much bigger problem than you think. Even ppl who think they are not overweight,  are.

So how do you explain all the men that felt like garbage before, with low t , got on HRT and now feel like normal guys again? Ones that were mistakenly put on antidepressants, that no longer need them because it was low T. Who is overweight, or not, in your eyes? “Even the ones that think they aren’t, are”? That’s another generalization with no facts to back it up. You can’t speak for all these men. And one can’t deny the positive mental and physical effects they are gaining from it. You have your bias of it and your convictions, but that’s just it. Bias and convictions. There are many natural ways one can up their testosterone as well. Eating raw garlic, for instance. And not for nothing, even if there is the small possibility of them having some negative affects, many do not care. They would rather enjoy their life, feel well and be able to participate in activities they no longer had the energy or desire for prior to treatment. I would not be saying this if not for seeing my fathers life turn around 360 degrees in feeling good physically and mentally. And guess what? If there are any negative affects of it, he doesn’t care. He would rather feel like a normal man than a depressed, sluggish, weak, unmotivated individual.

17 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

So how do you explain all the men that felt like garbage before, with low t , got on HRT and now feel like normal guys again? Ones that were mistakenly put on antidepressants, that no longer need them because it was low T. Who is overweight, or not, in your eyes? “Even the ones that think they aren’t, are”? That’s another generalization with no facts to back it up. You can’t speak for all these men. And one can’t deny the positive mental and physical effects they are gaining from it. You have your bias of it and your convictions, but that’s just it. Bias and convictions. There are many natural ways one can up their testosterone as well. Eating raw garlic, for instance. And not for nothing, even if there is the small possibility of them having some negative affects, many do not care. They would rather enjoy their life, feel well and be able to participate in activities they no longer had the energy or desire for prior to treatment. I would not be saying this if not for seeing my fathers life turn around 360 degrees in feeling good physically and mentally. And guess what? If there are any negative affects of it, he doesn’t care. He would rather feel like a normal man than a depressed, sluggish, weak, unmotivated individual.

Let me know your height and weight and I'll tell you if you're overweight.  And you mean to say 180deg. If he did a 360, he would be back to where he started.

Men in their 60's should not feel like they are in their 20's. What happened to just living life naturally,  when you're 80 you are not going to be racing motocross, deal with it. 

Edited by king crusher

Guys, this thread is not about TRT and being overweight.   It's hijacked the thread and time to cease. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Let me know your height and weight and I'll tell you if you're overweight.  And you mean to say 180deg. If he did a 360, he would be back to where he started.

Men in their 60's should not feel like they are in their 20's. What happened to just living life naturally,  when you're 80 you are not going to be racing motocross, deal with it. 

I did mean to say 180, for some reason, voice command made it 360.

You do realize that height and weight charts are archaic. They also don’t take into account someone’s muscle mass to fat ratio. I was being borderline sarcastic when I asked you specifically how you rate someone as being overweight. I work in healthcare, and these charts tell very fit people they are overweight. Conversation is getting ridiculous now. I’m out.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I did mean to say 180, for some reason, voice command made it 360.

You do realize that height and weight charts are archaic. They also don’t take into account someone’s muscle mass to fat ratio. I was being borderline sarcastic when I asked you specifically how you rate someone as being overweight. I work in healthcare, and these charts tell very fit people they are overweight. Conversation is getting ridiculous now. I’m out.

Extra weight on your frame whether it muscle or fat is not a benefit to your heart. The BMI charts are actually pretty reasonable.   They work well for me at least. Most people who say they are out of date are overweight.  Like you, they say "what about muscle" when in reality, they are carrying way too much body fat.  You can still fall into the high range of your proper BMI and have plenty of muscle if you're lean enough. 

Lifelong natural and this recent pic shows I have a bit of muscle and am at the high end of my BMI still. 6'1" 190lbs 32 pants. Like I said, most ppl are in denial how much fat they are carrying, which, lowers test.

Okay sorry wanna. Lips are zipped.

20190113_171223.jpg

21 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Please no shirtless men picks. Not the right forum! 😑

Just proving my point you can be within your proper BMI and still look like you lift, if you're lean enough.  

7 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Just proving my point you can be within your proper BMI and still look like you lift, if you're lean enough.  

I’m just busting your chops 👍🏻

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, James Fuller said:

As a 47 year old, I don't want to hear ANY negative opinion on the matter from someone in their 20s or 30s. To be clear, I am NOT on TRT but, until you are in your 40s with Low T, you are at best talking out yer ass. The day will come when the energy or spring in your step will be GONE and you WILL start to consider TRT. Remember, us older guys have been the age you are now but, you ain't been where we are yet. 

Us older guys? Age 47? That’s a good one!!😃

I guess it’s all relative...

Extremely off topic here!

I work with microplastic research and know all about the xenoestrogens in plastics. There is no evil conspiracy where evil corporations intentionally add compounds with estrogenic effects into the plastic material in order to feminise us. It’s just unfortunate that the estrogenic receptors in our cells are not very specific to what they bind to, and can therefore bind to almost any compound with similar size and molecular properties. Because of this, there’s a whole lot of stuff that is going to produce estrogenic effects to some degree. Bisphenol A was however VERY estrogenic and therefore banned. But it’s far from the only one. 

But! With all of this said. Our bodies are pretty good of handling these compounds. So for any full grown adult, you’re not going to have ANY noticeable effect. You literally need to be exposed to levels many thousand times higher to even notice an effect. However, it can effect prenatal and very young children. Children who might then grow up with developmental issues, where men might have feminized characteristics and lower testosterone. But if you had high testosterone in you’re 20’s, it means that you were fully developed and were not effected to any significant degree by the xenoestrogenic compounds. And if you experience a disproportionate decline of testosterone as you age, plastics will most likely not have been the cause of it. I’d first blame obesity, depression or some other cause. If in the end it turns out that your testosterone is not lower due to any specific reason which can be treated by other means, I’d jump on TRT. TRT should be avoided as far as possible. Not because it’s particularly dangerous. But mostly because it’s a life long treatment. If you’re on TRT and you have to stop your treatment in the future for any reason, then you’re pretty much screwed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

Extremely off topic here!

I work with microplastic research and know all about the xenoestrogens in plastics. There is no evil conspiracy where evil corporations intentionally add compounds with estrogenic effects into the plastic material in order to feminise us. It’s just unfortunate that the estrogenic receptors in our cells are not very specific to what they bind to, and can therefore bind to almost any compound with similar size and molecular properties. Because of this, there’s a whole lot of stuff that is going to produce estrogenic effects to some degree. Bisphenol A was however VERY estrogenic and therefore banned. But it’s far from the only one. 

But! With all of this said. Our bodies are pretty good of handling these compounds. So for any full grown adult, you’re not going to have ANY noticeable effect. You literally need to be exposed to levels many thousand times higher to even notice an effect. However, it can effect prenatal and very young children. Children who might then grow up with developmental issues, where men might have feminized characteristics and lower testosterone. But if you had high testosterone in you’re 20’s, it means that you were fully developed and were not effected to any significant degree by the xenoestrogenic compounds. And if you experience a disproportionate decline of testosterone as you age, plastics will most likely not have been the cause of it. I’d first blame obesity, depression or some other cause. If in the end it turns out that your testosterone is not lower due to any specific reason which can be treated by other means, I’d jump on TRT. TRT should be avoided as far as possible. Not because it’s particularly dangerous. But mostly because it’s a life long treatment. If you’re on TRT and you have to stop your treatment in the future for any reason, then you’re pretty much screwed.

The Nazis first experimented with this. The feminization effects of these chemicals.

4 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

but for real tho, i havent seen anyone heres thoughts on how they think Larry will do in strongman. Only some scoffing in the comments section of youtube.

i think so long as Larry continues to dial in, its a high probability he will make it to the finals his 1st year. And then maybe by 2020 i would put money on him giving a podium finish a great run. Basically im predicting he will be top 5 by 2020. This is all assuming he doesnt get injured of course.

but im not devastated if he doesnt. Im not a super fan.

thoughts?

One thing that would worry me, for him, is the lack of size in his lower leg with all the dynamic events of strongman. I could see his ankle snapping from it, due to the minimal girth he has in his calves. This is a possibility for anyone, of course, but his lower leg development Is much less than the average guy his size and strength. I would not want to see that happen to him. Would be terrible. It hasn’t been an issue with static things like squats and bench, but what about with the ultra dynamic nature of strongman? Time will tell.

Joe those are my exact thoughts.  Huge difference between deadlifting 900, and sprinting up a hill holding 900. Goodbye spine, hello wheelchair.

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Joe those are my exact thoughts.  Huge difference between deadlifting 900, and sprinting up a hill holding 900. Goodbye spine, hello wheelchair.

Yea man. I was very surprised by his lack of development in his lower legs. Didn’t notice it until recently, because I don’t pay much attention to him. Had to not twice, but thrice to see if what I was seeing was real. Calves are so genetic, and no matter what substances  one takes , they still may not respond, so it seems.

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I think everyone thinking he’s gonna break falls right in line with people wanting to “actually” see a crash and not a race when they watch nascar. I pointed that out in a RIP thread not long ago and everyone tried to deny it. But unfortunately its true.

That would be my fear for him. Snapping his ankle. A horse is different from a human. And weighs over 1000 pounds, designed that way. A human doesn't . The more calf muscle/ankle thickness a human has  should be a plus for a strongman. Dont know how the comment was a hope for him to hurt himself. It was quite the opposite. Some may hope for it, I do not. For anyone

Hes competing at the LA fit expo I believe.  Should do well there to prepare for the Arnold, which is a much bigger challenge. 

He was doing well with the yoke and heavy farmers walks with very quick feet, so will see.

He will certainly place top three at fit expo but outside top three at the Arnold.  If he sticks with it, he could place in wsm next year but not this coming comp. That's just my quick take on it.

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Horses dont have much calves.. just sayin

Niether do people who skip leg day at planet fitness

30 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

For my own interest, id like to hear more weigh in.

so far we’ve got-

he’s going too hard, he’s gonna break-so he wont make it.

he’s gonna die from the amount of steroids we assume he takes-so he wont make it.

he’s got skinny ankles- so he wont make it. 

🤔 what else? I love hearing how people think.

either way, as i said above, im not devastated if he doesnt keep his word. Im not exactly a Wheels fan. I mean i dont hate the guy. But he’s not a hero in my mind. Im actually more interested in discovering everyones thoughts on his taking aim at top 3 in wsm. However, it would be great to see some follow through on his goals. So i will root for him.

also, if it helps everyone better calculate a response, Larry didnt appear to put much of, if any?, time stamp on when* he is wanting to finish podium at WSM. So its not like if he doesnt make top 3 his first year it aint gonna ever happen.

So, lets here some thoughts BEFORE he gets rolling in strongman comps. That way no one jumps in after he starts placing in some comps and says “i knew he’d make it.”. Speak now or forever hold your peace. ...for lack of better words. No making bets after the fight starts, rather.

go.

He’s not going to make it because the weight of negative public opinion will break his chankles. 

• Like 1

Until one of the 'blowhards' here becomes a board certified cardiologist and cardiovascular surgeon at the number one ranked cardiovascular department in the US and a board certified endocrinologist at the number two ranked endocrinology department in the US, your opinions are like farts in the wind. I prefer to defer to the education and real-world knowledge of both professionals.

The internet does not make anyone a genius, but it sure does cloud judgement and give others the right to act holier than thou,

I sleep fine every night and I can still look myself in the mirror. And I love feeling like I did when I was 20 again. Those of you opposed can face aging how you please, the rest of us will fight it forever.

With that, I bid you all adieu. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rick Walker said:

The internet does not make anyone a genius.

Staying at a Holiday Inn will though.

Larry is obviously very gifted but I think he will need to put in the time and effort to be successful in strongman. He will need to win the LA fit expo to qualify for the Arnold and I don't know enough about his competitors to say if that's going to happen. If he does win the fit expo I think it will be an accomplishment to make the final day of the amateur Arnold. While it is called the amateur Arnold because it doesn't allow established American HWnpros, it has the newest American HW pros, some of the top American 105kg pros, and professionals from other parts of the world competing. Some of the top names in strongman today have come up through the Arnold amateur. Unless he gets an invite to WSM based on popularity, he will need to qualify. The clearest route for that is to qualify for the Official Strongman Games 2019 likely in December 2019, podium there to qualify for a Giants Live show which would likely be summer 2020, and podium there to qualify for WSM 2021. There may be a qualifying contest for Giants Live North America 2019 and if he won the qualifier and podiumed at the GL show he could get to WSM 2020. All of these competitions are likely to have guys that are bigger and have been training strongman longer than Larry so it'll be a tough road to even get to WSM. Many of the greatest in the sport did not qualify for the finals their first year at WSM so he would likely have to qualify again for another shot. In all of these scenarios he would have to dedicate himself to strongman for a number of years and honestly I don't think he will. He seems to be trying to build as big a following as possible. He started in powerlifting, then did a bodybuilding show to try to expand his base, and I think that is what he is doing again now with strongman. If he doesn't meet early success he may just go back to powerlifting and move on to the next thing to build his fan base.

• Like 2

The guy is strong and seems to have good feet.  Be interesting to see how (if) he can handle the kind of weights he will see at the Arnold or other big Strongman events.  He's pretty light

in body weight comparatively also which might make him less resilient.  If I had to bet the farm - I'd say no but I wish him well. 

2 hours ago, BigRedDoc said:

Larry is obviously very gifted but I think he will need to put in the time and effort to be successful in strongman. He will need to win the LA fit expo to qualify for the Arnold and I don't know enough about his competitors to say if that's going to happen. If he does win the fit expo I think it will be an accomplishment to make the final day of the amateur Arnold. While it is called the amateur Arnold because it doesn't allow established American HWnpros, it has the newest American HW pros, some of the top American 105kg pros, and professionals from other parts of the world competing. Some of the top names in strongman today have come up through the Arnold amateur. Unless he gets an invite to WSM based on popularity, he will need to qualify. The clearest route for that is to qualify for the Official Strongman Games 2019 likely in December 2019, podium there to qualify for a Giants Live show which would likely be summer 2020, and podium there to qualify for WSM 2021. There may be a qualifying contest for Giants Live North America 2019 and if he won the qualifier and podiumed at the GL show he could get to WSM 2020. All of these competitions are likely to have guys that are bigger and have been training strongman longer than Larry so it'll be a tough road to even get to WSM. Many of the greatest in the sport did not qualify for the finals their first year at WSM so he would likely have to qualify again for another shot. In all of these scenarios he would have to dedicate himself to strongman for a number of years and honestly I don't think he will. He seems to be trying to build as big a following as possible. He started in powerlifting, then did a bodybuilding show to try to expand his base, and I think that is what he is doing again now with strongman. If he doesn't meet early success he may just go back to powerlifting and move on to the next thing to build his fan base.

Good post

• Thanks 1