Tell me about skin care

Tom Flesher

What are you guys doing to take care of your skin?

I’m dealing with the ubiquitous “DO bending crack” on the side of my left index finger - I try to keep electrical tape on it while I’m actively bending but I often forget. 

Do people still use bag balm? Is it effective? What else is useful for keeping the wounds and blisters manageable?

7 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

What are you guys doing to take care of your skin?

I’m dealing with the ubiquitous “DO bending crack” on the side of my left index finger - I try to keep electrical tape on it while I’m actively bending but I often forget. 

Do people still use bag balm? Is it effective? What else is useful for keeping the wounds and blisters manageable?

Bag balm, theres climbers lotion too. 

• Like 1

I only use natural soap, and rarely if needed I will use a skin balm, typically Climb On, or something homemade. Tons of easy recipes based on coconut oil and beeswax with minor differences.  Honestly tho your diet is also going to be a huge factor for skin healing that is often overlooked. Don't eat processed foods or sugars, eat plenty of things containing collagen like broths, bones, and organ meats. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Honestly tho your diet is also going to be a huge factor for skin healing that is often overlooked. Don't eat processed foods or sugars, eat plenty of things containing collagen like broths, bones, and organ meats. 

If that was the case my buffet eating, beer having ass would look like I got mugged by a gang of A4 paper.

I might be a unique situation though and this is totally sound advice. Since starting to clean up everything is getting better for the most part.

• Like 1

This is an area I have quite a bit of experience in from climbing. Climbskin is a great product that promotes quick healing, keeps calluses flexible, and isn’t greasy. Also make sure you are hydrated. Sounds basic, but most people don’t drink enough water.

• Thanks 1