Cupid's Nightmare - Feb 16, 2019

Jedd Johnson

We will be running a Grip Contest on Saturday, 2/16/19.  Cupid's Nightmare

We just couldn't make US Nationals happen this year due to multiple factors.

Events:

Silver Bullet

2 3/8" One Hand Nightmare (6")

Blockbuster Pinch (lockout)

2" Napalm's Nightmare (6")

Little Big Horn (lockout)

More details to come. 

I will pursue official sanctioning soon.

• Like 6

I have never done a grip contest before. Are there things like novice divisions or is everyone just thrown together? I haven't used any of the implements and just wouldn't want to slow down the flow of the contest by not knowing anything.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigRedDoc said:

I have never done a grip contest before. Are there things like novice divisions or is everyone just thrown together? I haven't used any of the implements and just wouldn't want to slow down the flow of the contest by not knowing anything.

There's typically time initially for warm ups and practice with implements,  and plenty of people will offer up advice and tips for newcomers. Nobody is too new to start, all you need is hands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

There's typically time initially for warm ups and practice with implements,  and plenty of people will offer up advice and tips for newcomers. Nobody is too new to start, all you need is hands.

Thanks for the reply. I may have to sign up when the details are revealed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BigRedDoc said:

Thanks for the reply. I may have to sign up when the details are revealed.

Besides what @Climber028 said, the veteran competitors are also all super helpful with figuring out the lifts. At the first contest I went to, the guy who set the world record on the Ironmind Hub tried to show me the optimal technique on it.

Where are you located, if you want to share? We can probably find someone near you who has some implements, or at least point you toward some technique videos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Besides what @Climber028 said, the veteran competitors are also all super helpful with figuring out the lifts. At the first contest I went to, the guy who set the world record on the Ironmind Hub tried to show me the optimal technique on it.

Where are you located, if you want to share? We can probably find someone near you who has some implements, or at least point you toward some technique videos.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Central NY. I have an axle, plates for pinching, and some grippers to train on but just none of the real specific grip implements.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BigRedDoc said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Central NY. I have an axle, plates for pinching, and some grippers to train on but just none of the real specific grip implements.

I believe @Joseph Sullivan is east of Syracuse, and I'm over in the other direction closer to Buffalo. Not many that I know of in western NY at least. I mostly train alone or with my brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jedd, I will almost surely be able to attend and compete.  Sounds fun!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BigRedDoc said:

Where do you live in central NY. That’s where I live. I have every implement known to man.

47 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Where do you live in central NY. That’s where I live. I have every implement known to man.

I’m in Spencer, about 20 miles south of Ithaca. 

1 hour ago, BigRedDoc said:

I’m far from you... east of Syracuse. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, BigRedDoc said:

We are 45 minutes away in Wyalusing...im in Athens all the time. Did you realize Jedd and I were tha close to you?

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

We are 45 minutes away in Wyalusing...im in Athens all the time. Did you realize Jedd and I were tha close to you?

I knew you guys weren’t too far away from me. I just didn’t know how to go about asking two of the most elite grip guys in the world if I could come train with them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigRedDoc said:

I knew you guys weren’t too far away from me. I just didn’t know how to go about asking two of the most elite grip guys in the world if I could come train with them. 

We aren't anyone special and we train saturdays for a few hours and we invite anyone that wants to come down and hit it with us. We do our thing and if you want to hit the exercises we are training that fine or if you want to do other stuff that's fine too. Come one down...9-12 next saturday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

We aren't anyone special and we train saturdays for a few hours and we invite anyone that wants to come down and hit it with us. We do our thing and if you want to hit the exercises we are training that fine or if you want to do other stuff that's fine too. Come one down...9-12 next saturday. 

Wow man, thank you so much. I will definitely take you up on that offer. Is there an address for me to put in the GPS?

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 12:04 PM, BigRedDoc said:

Heck with that.  We'll get you going brother!  Don't worry about slowing things down.  that's how you get started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2019 at 11:01 AM, Climber028 said:

Are all grippers going to be available for silver bullet?

Yes and scoring will be based on which gripper you do.  Easiest way will be strongman scoring.

On 1/5/2019 at 12:11 PM, Climber028 said:

Yes, this is correct.  You can come early and run through all the implements to get a feel for them.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, Vinnie said:

Jedd, I will almost surely be able to attend and compete.  Sounds fun!

Awesome!!

8 hours ago, BigRedDoc said:

Wow man, thank you so much. I will definitely take you up on that offer. Is there an address for me to put in the GPS?

36 Main Street Wyalusing PA 18853

• Thanks 1