Grip muscles!

James Rishell

So I have never met another gripster in my life; I have odd muscles on my hands and forearms. Was wondering if anyone else has anything like that’s on my thumb.(also have them on the back and side of my hand and thumb)

2A6AE939-CCB4-475A-ACC4-04E4CEC94416.jpeg

7D176159-0D35-43B3-961D-7EE276C11D99.jpeg

Those are the hypothenar and thenar eminence of the thumb and outside inferior aspect of the  digiti minimi (pinky). Every human alive has them, just not as pronounced as grip workers 

43 minutes ago, James Rishell said:

So everyone else here has the lumps of muscle all over their hands too then xD 

If they are training hard and getting stronger, I would say yes, limited by how much genetics allow it, as with all muscle Growth, some have more in some areas than others 

I was hoping my hand and forearm would blow up when I started Grip. Sadly I look pretty much the same 😂

But I treat gripsport like I would powerlifting. Low reps, high weight. I don’t focus on much hypertrophic training. If anything my forearms got smaller when I quit climbing. I just don’t train to get a pump and stretch the fascia anymore 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

But I treat gripsport like I would powerlifting. Low reps, high weight. I don’t focus on much hypertrophic training. If anything my forearms got smaller when I quit climbing. I just don’t train to get a pump and stretch the fascia anymore 🤷‍♂️

I’ve gone up glove sizes since gripping and my wedding ring doesn’t fit anymore 

2 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’ve gone up glove sizes since gripping and my wedding ring doesn’t fit anymore 

Crazy, maybe I already maxed out all my potential by climbing for 13 years prior to starting grip. 

2 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Crazy, maybe I already maxed out all my potential by climbing for 13 years prior to starting grip. 

Size and ability to grow larger is Definitely limited by genetics. Some grow bigger and some don’t change much at all, but still get massively stronger.

3 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

I was hoping my hand and forearm would blow up when I started Grip. Sadly I look pretty much the same 😂

Ditto 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, Boulderbrew said:

I'm afraid I maxed out my potential with all the grip work I did as a teenager roaring through puberty.  :cry

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Your forearms are pretty huge for your frame imo

Haha thanks 

On 12/25/2018 at 6:07 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Size and ability to grow larger is Definitely limited by genetics. Some grow bigger and some don’t change much at all, but still get massively stronger.

Yeah I think the hand size plays a role also. If you have a really long hand the muscle you build might not look as developed as someone with a more compact hand. 

As far as some freaky hand development olympic weightlifter Sultan Rakhmanov hand some impressive muscular development for his hands. Jonathan Vogt and Nathan Holle are two other guys who have some impressive muscular development for their hands. 

hand1.png

Ive been told my thumb pads looks like the cheeks of a baby’s ass. When I smoosh them together, it looks like the cheeks of a Kardashian ass. Not sure how I feel about this. Other then that my hands dont have any werid muscle quirks. Unless you count the pump from shoveling food at golden corral. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

“But Tanner, you already said yourself that your forearms actually shrank training your grip in a PL manner. So, this means you shouldnt expect to put on any substantial size/weight when doing deadlifts.” 

I have actually been training the deadlift after our conversation at Uncle Julios. Weighed myself at a freaky 190lbs this morning haha. Probably due to me eating like a jackass over the holidays

53 minutes ago, KapMan said:

When I smoosh them together, it looks like the cheeks of a Kardashian ass

Maybe don't post a picture...would hate to see @Mike Rinderle's teenage "grip years" come roaring back

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Maybe don't post a picture...would hate to see @Mike Rinderle's teenage "grip years" come roaring back

Nobody wants to see that.  Nobody!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

7A45122E-768D-4447-B1DC-9FC98A82E9ED.thumb.jpeg.b86b92a10b32e7f028451050ff0e907d.jpeg

Hand looks funky when i hold it like the above pic.. no needed shade for added effect either. I think i just busted the thick thumb pad myth that suggests a strong pinch.. lol that there is a retarded looking thumb pad. And unfortunately it comes with only a half decent pinch prowess.

You work with your hands also right? I have noticed men who work with their hands for a living tend to have some pretty thick hands overall. You do have a significantly bigger thumb pad then most well done. I have noticed that the pony pinch kit sold by cannon power works tend to hit this muscle group really well when done for high volume.

15 hours ago, acorn said:

Turkey leg anyone? 20181229_135028.thumb.jpg.8088095571db33de51f81fda389fedf6.jpg

Turkey leg? That's a dang pot roast stuck in there! 😂

• Thanks 1

29B01007-883B-45CC-AEB4-22CDA719A139.thumb.jpeg.e6b3ca360cba74da5b9bb17d537d4e2b.jpegmy hand has looked pretty much like this since day one of grip training. Oh well, maybe some higher volume will beef it out 

6 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

29B01007-883B-45CC-AEB4-22CDA719A139.thumb.jpeg.e6b3ca360cba74da5b9bb17d537d4e2b.jpegmy hand has looked pretty much like this since day one of grip training. Oh well, maybe some higher volume will beef it out 

Yea, but you’ve been doing an ultra grip related sport for years. So you have been training grip, just not the specific implements for grip sports. Your hands have been trained to the utmost with climbing. Climbing appears to have a nice head start when transitioning in to grip, as well as arm wrestlers. All ultra grip related sports. Your hands probably wot change much more for that fact alone, they are already trained.

My thumb pad is average. What has grown from all the pinch work this last year is the little muscle on the other side of my thumb on top of my hand between the thumb and pointer.

20190101_101926.jpg