Does the plate loading grip machine carryover to grippers

Shahein124

A lot of people will tell you it does, but I have a Go-Really grip machine and I don’t feel like it has helped as much as simply direct gripper work. But hey if you find yourself in Dallas TX you can buy mine haha

• Like 1

Grippers are very technical...

I think it's better to train with an adjustable gripper. But even that will not carryover 100% to torsion spring grippers. Unless you actually use a torsion spring for your adjustable gripper.

Torsion spring grippers are as much a skill as a strength.  You can build strength with a grip machine but you have to be careful to not "deadlift" the weight as it gets heavier.   The machine will not have much carryover to grippers though I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I have a NY barbell plate loaded grip machine -I use it primarily on recovery days and to focus on ring/pinkie after a gripper workout. The only time I train hard/effort on it is when my grippers feel stagnant.

33 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I have a NY barbell plate loaded grip machine -I use it primarily on recovery days and to focus on ring/pinkie after a gripper workout. The only time I train hard/effort on it is when my grippers feel stagnant.

That’s a goood idea, to use it for ring and pinky fingers. I was gonna scrap mine, now I can use it for that. Mine is a hardy hand shake replica

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Torsion spring grippers are as much a skill as a strength.  You can build strength with a grip machine but you have to be careful to not "deadlift" the weight as it gets heavier.   The machine will not have much carryover to grippers though I'm afraid.

Spot on here. 

• Like 1

The only plate loaded grip machine that I know of that was credited to help close heavier grippers was Joe Kinneys' Secret Weapon machine. Of course, there are those that credit it as a helpful machine and those that do not. So whatta ya gonna do? anguished-face_1f627.png.5a443b204077462ff9aab4fb792de405.png

Edited by Rick Browne

3 hours ago, Shahein124 said:

I am planning to get a plate loading machine similiar to Go-really-grip from Ironmind I wanted to know if there is any carryover to normal grippers?

I like both of my machines, there is some carry over but not a ton . 

I’m going after that some though 😉

Edited by Roger Roberson

I'll put some information down later. For the time being, I link 2 video I have done on grip machines. It has information that reflects what I thought at the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I have a free moment. 

Currently, I believe the best way to train hand grippers is to train hand grippers. No matter the set, ratings, hand size, gripper type, if you want to get good using hand grippers, use them. Train the movement you want to work with and go from there with your goals in mind.

• Like 2

The only non- Torsion spring Gripper to help my gripper was a vulcan adjustable gripper. Thing sucks to set so it helped me get better at setting grippers. 

13 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thing sucks to set so it helped me get better at setting grippers. 

True, its a bitch to set haha

• Thanks 1

I can’t imagine training your crush with a grip machine and it not helping. In fact,  it will give you a better grip than grippers. Tho, you can get a grip machine from ArmAssassin strength shop. Luke makes a great one that is pretty well priced. And it has a better angle for training like you’re using a gripper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

I can’t imagine training your crush with a grip machine and it not helping. In fact,  it will give you a better grip than grippers. Tho, you can get a grip machine from ArmAssassin strength shop. Luke makes a great one that is pretty well priced. And it has a better angle for training like you’re using a gripper.

The only problem with them is that they are very hard to just use your grip and not put bodyweight into it. I have one. The first one he ever made.... a hardy handshake replica, and he said the same thing to me himself when I asked him to make the first one he ever made. He was right. It’s very hard to gauge whether you are using your true grip or assisting with the body 

1 hour ago, slazbob said:

I can’t imagine training your crush with a grip machine and it not helping. In fact,  it will give you a better grip than grippers.

In my experience the grip machine just got me really good at the grip machine, didn’t help my other areas too much 

20 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The only problem with them is that they are very hard to just use your grip and not put bodyweight into it. I have one. The first one he ever made.... a hardy handshake replica, and he said the same thing to me himself when I asked him to make the first one he ever made. He was right. It’s very hard to gauge whether you are using your true grip or assisting with the body 

The hardy hand shake is different than a Grip machine...its all body weight to really get it to shut. I had one and the design was flawed. I ended up using the the handle to make a secret weapon. Ha

50 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

In my experience the grip machine just got me really good at the grip machine, didn’t help my other areas too much 

My opinion was that it has to help...how could it not? You look at Tyce Saylor , the third man to certify the no.3 he didn’t train with grippers, he said he carried two 100lb dumbbells around his neighborhood only setting them down to  re grip and finish his walk. He did this weekly.  He credited this for his strength. You’re pretty good at grippers, guess the machine wasn’t your thing.

2 hours ago, slazbob said:

My opinion was that it has to help...how could it not? You look at Tyce Saylor , the third man to certify the no.3 he didn’t train with grippers, he said he carried two 100lb dumbbells around his neighborhood only setting them down to  re grip and finish his walk. He did this weekly.  He credited this for his strength. You’re pretty good at grippers, guess the machine wasn’t your thing.

Yo dude got any links for tyce saylor saying that?

17 hours ago, Shahein124 said:

I am planning to get a plate loading machine similiar to Go-really-grip from Ironmind I wanted to know if there is any carryover to normal grippers?

I am not a gripper guy. But I know CoC #3.5 cert Ioan Cristian Puscasu and Carlos F. Rivera Pagan trained on grip machines. Ioan the AWer is the closest person ever to cert on the #4. This is not to say you shouldn't do grippers too.

2 hours ago, Shahein124 said:

Yo dude got any links for tyce saylor saying that?

I know this was mentioned in John Brookfield book.

Edited by Alawadhi

10 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Okay, I have a free moment. 

Currently, I believe the best way to train hand grippers is to train hand grippers. No matter the set, ratings, hand size, gripper type, if you want to get good using hand grippers, use them. Train the movement you want to work with and go from there with your goals in mind.

7 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Both, spot on.

My crushing strength is a lot stronger than #2 coc that I have, based on my adjustable gripper work, but I cannot close the #2 if I don't train on it. To be successful at torsion spring grippers, you just have to train with them, since they feel a lot different, and you cannot train that kind of crush + twisting movement in any other way. If you're looking to develop crush grip strength independent of TSG grippers, you don't need to touch one in your lifetime and you'll still be strong as an ox with finger curls + adjustable work.

Carlos F. Rivera Pagan tributed his 3.5 cert to training with a plateloader, like @Alawadhi mentioned. He did only work the final part of the close, so the handles at like 20mm. 

My personal note to that would be that you set up your fingers the right way, so not just grip it, but study at which place the gripperhandles rest when you close a gripper at 20mm and use that same spot for placing on the plateloader handles.

Anyway, he trained once per week the plateloader, making as much reps in 5 sets with a certain weight. If he could make more reps the next training in those 5 sets, he would up the weight.
the other training he did choked grippers. 

I have trained with a plateloader. My goal is to still cert that #3. And I have not done that. So probably not the best advice to rely on. 
The guys who do cert are - lets give it a name - plain strong. So in the end, not matter what they train and how they train, they end up getting certed if they keep at it. I have honestly trained my ass off. But the CCS remains very tough to me. So it's certainly not wrong to try different training methods. Only thing is, keep consistent at one method for a time before you discard it. In general, I dare say no specific item is the best assistence exercise for grippers. Train grippers for a while, if it doesn't work, focus on all round gripstuff for a while and come back. Repeat. keep at it. It might take years. Keep at it. Have fun with that journey. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, slazbob said:

The hardy hand shake is different than a Grip machine...its all body weight to really get it to shut. I had one and the design was flawed. I ended up using the the handle to make a secret weapon. Ha

Yes it is flawed. 100%. It should be opposite action than it is.