COC #4 closer

James Rishell

New here and have always wanted to know why no one has been certified in the #4 in so long. Genuinely curious and have been from the start.

There were two major Rule Changes. In March, 2004, the starting position at the beginning of a close required a credit card to be inserted between the handles by the gripster. Prior to that, the spread on some closes had evolved to less than a one inch spread between the handles, as opposed to the width of a credit card, which is about 2 1/8th inches wide.                                                          The second major rule change was in 2006. It required the certification gripper to be sent to a judge by Ironmind, and opened up out of the package at the time of certification. Prior to that, all people getting certified on the 3 or the 4, used a gripper that could have come from anywhere. I knew a World Class Number 3 closer who paid $200 for an “Easy 4” during the time frame between the two rule changes.                                          If both these rules were not put into play, there would be dozens of Certified Number 4 Closers today.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, James Rishell said:

Oh my so no one has been certified with the new rules. Thank you very much! 

Not only has nobody certed with credid card set, a #4 close with credit card set has only been done once on video :D

• Like 1

Oh wow that’s really cool! I’ve only see Magnus do it on his workout video; that’s what got me into grip in the first place. 

1 hour ago, James Rishell said:

Oh wow that’s really cool! I’ve only see Magnus do it on his workout video; that’s what got me into grip in the first place. 

This much more cool. CoC#4 from MMS close around 20 mens, and only one close CCS.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

This much more cool. CoC#4 from MMS close around 20 mens, and only one close CCS.

I think there's a lot more than 20. Probably double that or so.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I think you're both crazy, there's 30

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I think you're both crazy, there's 30

Do you have a list of 30? I would like to know. I think there might be more than 30 people who have closed the #4.

36 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Do you have a list of 30? I would like to know. I think there might be more than 30 people who have closed the #4.

Just messing around,  he says 20 you say 40 I split the difference.  I can't think of more than 10 guys at that level,  I'm relatively new to grip tho.

16 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Just messing around,  he says 20 you say 40 I split the difference.  I can't think of more than 10 guys at that level,  I'm relatively new to grip tho.

Ok, yes I believe it's somewhere between 30-40. I'm trying to make a list of every #4 closer. I can get up to 30 names for sure but there's always people you don't know of, I'm sure there's more people who have done it.

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Ok, yes I believe it's somewhere between 30-40. I'm trying to make a list of every #4 closer. I can get up to 30 names for sure but there's always people you don't know of, I'm sure there's more people who have done it.

How many people would you guess can close a #4 if it were choked to parallel? 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:14 AM, Fist of Fury said:

5 year ago this list, the who close CoC#4, includes 15 persons. I think, few man add to this list from this time. Probably 30 overall, maybe even more. 40 - don`t know.

23 minutes ago, Kashtan said:

5 year ago this list, the who close CoC#4, includes 15 persons. I think, few man add to this list from this time. Probably 30 overall, maybe even more. 40 - don`t know.

Are you sure? 15 seems a little bit low even five years ago. I wasn't in to grip training five years ago so I don't know for sure but I think I know of more than that who did it before 2013.

On 12/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Are you sure? 15 seems a little bit low even five years ago. I wasn't in to grip training five years ago so I don't know for sure but I think I know of more than that who did it before 2013.

Here are about 15 I have off the top of my head

Nathan Holle
Dave Morton
Tommy Heslep
Paul Knight
Josh Dale
Steve Gardener
Aaron Corcorran
Juha Harju

Cesare Ricchezz, Clay Edgin, Andrew Durniat, Sergey Daragan, Morgan Choi, Ioan Cristian Puscasu, Gabriele(cancrusher), Kupinsky Igor, magnus samuelsson

All of those are either on the list here as a coc 4 closer or from ironmind or have a video of a coc 4 close. I don't think there are 40 people who have done it on video at least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Here are about 15 I have off the top of my head

Nathan Holle
Dave Morton
Tommy Heslep
Paul Knight
Josh Dale
Steve Gardener
Aaron Corcorran
Juha Harju

Cesare Ricchezz, Clay Edgin, Andrew Durniat, Sergey Daragan, Morgan Choi, Ioan Cristian Puscasu, Gabriele(cancrusher), Kupinsky Igor, magnus samuelsson

All of those are either on the list here as a coc 4 closer or from ironmind or have a video of a coc 4 close. I don't think there are 40 people who have done it on video at least.

Two names there that I didn't have on my list. Josh Dale and Clay Edgin.
It might not be 40 but I know it's over 30 at least.

Add to that list Valery Tolstyh. Jonathan Vogt and Gabriel Sum are definite contenders for that list - although I don't think they ever recorded videos attempting #4 MMS. Both of them were very close at their peak to CCSing a #4, and I have no doubt they could have MMS'd one based on the following videos:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenMorrissey said:

Add to that list Valery Tolstyh. Jonathan Vogt and Gabriel Sum are definite contenders for that list - although I don't think they ever recorded videos attempting #4 MMS. Both of them were very close at their peak to CCSing a #4, and I have no doubt they could have MMS'd one based on the following videos:

Jonathan Vogt has closed the #4. There's even a video of it on youtube. That video was with CCS, which is a completely different story :)