Block Weight Training using dumbbells

humble1

Guys and Gals, I did some searching but haven't found anything relate to the topic, if you know of a link please add it!

My question is; "for block weight training, can you use fully intact dumbbells with two handed pinch?" 

My YMCA frowns on me bringing my hacksaw to the gym 😀

I assume that it's better than nothing but significantly different than block weights because each hand can stabilize the other and your thumb would not be as stress because the weight would be prevented from moving.

I look forward to getting to Andrew Durniat's gym soon which it turns out is just an hour away to try some real grip stuff soon

Jason

• Like 3

Inverted dumbbell lifts are very common,  typically used on standard steel hex dumbbells.  One hand is almost always used unless you have extremely large dumbbells and extremely small hands. 40lbs is good,  50 is great, 60 is elite. Those numbers are my subjective opinions,  don't take them too seriously. 

• Like 4

Pinch some 5 or 10lb plates together, or upside down kettlebells, or yeah just one hand dumbbell from the top.

Sure you can do two hands, one on each side of a dumbbell, but you'll be able to squeeze your arms together and take load off your thumbs, so it will make things easier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wobbler said:

but you'll be able to squeeze your arms together and take load off your thumbs, so it will make things easier.

BUUUUT... you lose the ability to tilt the implement which puts some load back on the thumb. Still easier, but not too much in my opinion.

22 hours ago, humble1 said:

Guys and Gals, I did some searching but haven't found anything relate to the topic, if you know of a link please add it!

My question is; "for block weight training, can you use fully intact dumbbells with two handed pinch?" 

My YMCA frowns on me bringing my hacksaw to the gym 😀

I assume that it's better than nothing but significantly different than block weights because each hand can stabilize the other and your thumb would not be as stress because the weight would be prevented from moving.

I look forward to getting to Andrew Durniat's gym soon which it turns out is just an hour away to try some real grip stuff soon

Jason

Welcome to the ‘board. Make sure you take the trip to DS. It’s totally worth it.

even rocks can be used as blockweights. Get creative.