Cannon

Rubix Cube Thread

Cannon

Hey nerds. 

There was some Rubix cube interest expressed in the “unique things” thread and I wanted to continue that. 

I’ve got the 3x3 down by printing out the steps recommended by Rubix and then blacking out more and more of the steps in the algorithms until I had them memorized. 

I can solve it every time at around 2 mins.  I would like to get faster, but simply don’t understand how. 

One video I saw recommended that you work with the method I’m using until you can do it under 1 minute. I don’t even see how that’s possible 🧐

Anyone have tips on how to get faster?  Good video recommendations or anything?

If anyone cannot currently solve a cube but would like to learn the steps, I could help with that. 🤗. I just think it’s a cool thing to be able to do. 

• Like 2

KapMan

Got 3 sidesof my 2x2 done, but trying to figure out the last side is tough I also have a gear style XXL cube that its fun to play with(pictured with monster rubber for scale) Also have a project Genius pagoda rotating puzzle too. Im terrible at them lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Adam Juncker
12 hours ago, KapMan said:

Got 3 sidesof my 2x2 done, but trying to figure out the last side is tough I also have a gear style XXL cube that its fun to play with(pictured with monster rubber for scale) Also have a project Genius pagoda rotating puzzle too. Im terrible at them lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like the gear cube just needs to have the edges oriented/permuted correctly.  Without seeing the other sides I can't tell.  Gear cubes are cool, but also pretty simple.  To swap two edges on the U Face on a 3X3 gear cube its "R2 U R2 U", and to flip the Edge on the Face its "R U R U R U".  Put the layer you're trying to solve facing up.  Those are the algs for a 3X3, but I'm fairly confident they will work for the 2 X 2.   Also, with gear cubes, if you run and alg and it doesn't solve it (or makes the cube worse), run that alg 2 more times and it will be back where you started.  

Adam Juncker
13 hours ago, Cannon said:

Hey nerds. 

There was some Rubix cube interest expressed in the “unique things” thread and I wanted to continue that. 

I’ve got the 3x3 down by printing out the steps recommended by Rubix and then blacking out more and more of the steps in the algorithms until I had them memorized. 

I can solve it every time at around 2 mins.  I would like to get faster, but simply don’t understand how. 

One video I saw recommended that you work with the method I’m using until you can do it under 1 minute. I don’t even see how that’s possible 🧐

Anyone have tips on how to get faster?  Good video recommendations or anything?

If anyone cannot currently solve a cube but would like to learn the steps, I could help with that. 🤗. I just think it’s a cool thing to be able to do. 

Rubik's method works.  It is slow.  I recommend CFOP (Center, First 2 layers, Orientation of last layer, Permutation of Last layer).  You start with the cross, but you form the cross on bottom where you can't see it.  So it takes some planning to be able to do it, but it will speed things up immensely because once you get good you will be doing it blind in 8 moves or less.  

For the First 2 layers there are about 60 algorithms... don't waste any time learning them.  JPerm (youtube) has an awesome video on solving F2L intuitively.  You're still using algorithms but they are ones you learned in the beginners method.  

• Like 1

Climber028

Same, with that method you should be able to get under 45 seconds. Also important is finger speed, just take a cube and do one algorithm slowly at first and then over and over again trying to speed up each time.  I used to do this while watching TV or something to pass the time. I would also start with cross on top for awhile before moving to bottom,  helps intuition I feel 

Cannon
1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

I recommend CFOP (Center, First 2 layers, Orientation of last layer, Permutation of Last layer).  You start with the cross, but you form the cross on bottom where you can't see it.  So it takes some planning to be able to do it, but it will speed things up immensely because once you get good you will be doing it blind in 8 moves or less.  

I’ll look this up. This actually sounds like what I’m doing and combined with climber028’s suggestion I know a major problem is finger speed. 

Rick Walker

My kids got christmas cubes from the elves. They, of course, jacked them up quickly. I found this website and just designated the pictures to colors. I was able to solve them in under 25 moves. It may be cheating but it makes my life, and my 8-year old's lives, much easier. 

https://rubiks-cube-solver.com/

KapMan

Gaha solved my 2x2! Ill never do it again because ill forget how I did it. 

• Like 2

richcottrell

If you visit the Facebook page for The Guinness Book of World Records , there is a 13 year old kid who set the time record for solving three cubes while juggling them!

it was posted on their page on Dec 19th

https://m.facebook.com/GuinnessWorldRecords/

• Like 1

KapMan
1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

If you visit the Facebook page for The Guinness Book of World Records , there is a 13 year old kid who set the time record for solving three cubes while juggling them!

it was posted on their page on Dec 19th

https://m.facebook.com/GuinnessWorldRecords/

Saw a video of a kid who solved 3 cubes, 2 with his hands, one with his feet. Blows my mind

Climber028

Thread inspired me to dig these out, haven't touched most in over a decade but still was able to solve them all, although extremely slowly for the weird ones. I used to know ~150 algorithms just for the 3x3 but feels like only 30 or so are still hanging around.  

20181222_225650.jpg

• Like 2

DAVE101

Which ones take you the longest? I think my fastest time ever on a 5x5 was around 20 minutes, but it usually takes closer to an hour since I normally end up with a parity for which I don't know the algorithm to fix quickly.

• Like 1

Climber028

5x5 definitely mostly because the sheer number of pieces,  my best was around 11 minutes but recently was up around 25. Square one took a long time to remember the moves,  but actual solve is quick.

• Like 1

Cannon
6 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Thread inspired me to dig these out, haven't touched most in over a decade but still was able to solve them all, although extremely slowly for the weird ones. I used to know ~150 algorithms just for the 3x3 but feels like only 30 or so are still hanging around.  

20181222_225650.jpg

Those are awesome!

We have a 4x4 which I messed up under the assumption I could watch YouTube videos and figure out how to solve it.  Thaaaaaaaat never happened. 

Climber028

I kind of want to grab a 6x6 or 7x7, they didn't exist when I was cubing and it would be fun try. If you can do a 3x3 and 4x4 then you can do any sized cube, tho it would be extremely slow.

Adam Juncker
On 12/24/2018 at 4:12 PM, Climber028 said:

I kind of want to grab a 6x6 or 7x7, they didn't exist when I was cubing and it would be fun try. If you can do a 3x3 and 4x4 then you can do any sized cube, tho it would be extremely slow.

I have a d - fantix 6 X 6 and it is pretty smooth and was less than $30 when I bought it.  The only thing I don't like about the even numbered cubes is the chance for a single edge parity that can be pretty time consuming to undo.  Speed cubing has came a long way, and now there are high-end cubes that have magnets and and other stuff to help them "snap" into location for better corner cutting.  They also take lube.... i think that is funny.  

Rick Walker
On 12/24/2018 at 4:59 PM, Cannon said:

Those are awesome!

We have a 4x4 which I messed up under the assumption I could watch YouTube videos and figure out how to solve it.  Thaaaaaaaat never happened. 

https://rubiks-cube-solver.com/

Has a 4X4 solver on this software as well...

My boys got actual Rubik's cubes for Christmas and I have used this software at least 50 times since the holiday. It is actually teaching them how to do the cube as well. 

KapMan

Time to step your game up with this 17x17x17

B41A5496-49D9-4F40-B705-1D49F80C4462.jpeg

• Haha 1

KapMan

Or if thats still too soft how about this 

Climber028

Should just solve a 4d cube, 3x3x3x3 is fun and takes a real long time. 

• Like 1

KapMan
1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Ill go the easier route of a 1x1x1

Adam Juncker
18 hours ago, KapMan said:

Ill go the easier route of a 1x1x1

I can't even scramble a 1X1X1.

• Haha 2

KapMan
42 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

I can't even scramble a 1X1X1.

Git gud

Adam Juncker
On 12/29/2018 at 9:14 PM, Climber028 said:

Depends on what dimension you're in.