Jump to content

Another Angry Gripboard Thread


Recommended Posts

Tom Flesher

(Honestly I'm still not sure I'm using it correctly, but I think that's how people told you to use yours. I'd have had no idea otherwise.)

2 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Good. No one caught you sleeping on the use of the protractor. My dumbass needed lessons🤦🏻‍♂️

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
Just now, Tom Flesher said:

(Honestly I'm still not sure I'm using it correctly, but I think that's how people told you to use yours. I'd have had no idea otherwise.)

 

Looks about right to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher

January 4:

3km on the treadmill. I enjoy racing, and I look a lot nicer when I’m running regularly.... plus I want to stay under 30minutes this spring 5k season.

Reverse only today, because my shoulders felt stiff. 2x3/16 squares, 2 timber ties, 1 dull 60D.

Wrapped up a wobbly piece of 5/16 and hit some isos on it to try to get my shoulders to loosen up but I beat myself up pretty good during my last session.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher

No Astoria grip workout today, so I moved my gym day up two days so I can do some DO bending Monday.

Overhead Press:

5x95, 5x115, 135x4 (rep PR - I’d only ever done 135 for 1)

Deadlift:

5x225 DO, 5x315 DO, 365x4 mixed (another rep PR)

Cardio: 1 mile with pace variation 

overall pretty good for a short notice workout

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate
13 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

No Astoria grip workout today...

??? Say it ain't so.

Nice workout.

Looking good man.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher
3 hours ago, anwnate said:

??? Say it ain't so.

Nice workout.

Looking good man.

 

Thanks! Anton just had to go out and pick some locks so he called it off for today. It’s still going strong!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher

Cardio only today - 2 miles in 22 minutes (plus a cooldown). I've been focused on my strength goals and it feels good to be back on the treadmill.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton.Torrella

Bullsh*t jobs - godda*n self-employed bullsh*t - and family! - it also rained non-stopped - garbage day but then again it was a Saturday - huge congrats on the overhead press and deadlift rep Prs!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher

January 7

Warmed up with clubs.

Reverse: 2x 3/16x7 square, one dull 60D

DO: timber tie, 1/4x6 g5 bolt, 7” L drill rod crushed to about 3”. Gave up on it for now due to time (had an appointment) and my elbows feeling a bit beaten up.

Filmed the 60D and the bolt  

Later: 20 minutes of yoga with my wife because we support each other and shit.

Planning to do a DO-only session, or possibly start with DO and finish bending with reverse, on Thursday. I’ll also do some wrist work - I saw someone (forget who) doing trilobite wrist curls and I’m interested in seeing how they feel.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
6 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

January 7

Warmed up with clubs.

Reverse: 2x 3/16x7 square, one dull 60D

DO: timber tie, 1/4x6 g5 bolt, 7” L drill rod crushed to about 3”. Gave up on it for now due to time (had an appointment) and my elbows feeling a bit beaten up.

Filmed the 60D and the bolt  

Later: 20 minutes of yoga with my wife because we support each other and shit.

Planning to do a DO-only session, or possibly start with DO and finish bending with reverse, on Thursday. I’ll also do some wrist work - I saw someone (forget who) doing trilobite wrist curls and I’m interested in seeing how they feel.

Really wish I could double the effort on bending. But DU is a work is an ass whooper. Atleast for me it is. Unless I’m doing something wrong by interspersing grippers and that gripout on Saturdays(every two weeks) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher
2 hours ago, KapMan said:

Really wish I could double the effort on bending. 

You mean two sessions a week? I’m actually wondering if working Reverse one day and DO another might be a better option for me to get more volume but also get more effective rest in. It’s tough to slow down reverse because I’m finally making some good progress on it but I don’t know if I can keep it up while I’m chasing a DO Red. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
57 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

You mean two sessions a week? I’m actually wondering if working Reverse one day and DO another might be a better option for me to get more volume but also get more effective rest in. It’s tough to slow down reverse because I’m finally making some good progress on it but I don’t know if I can keep it up while I’m chasing a DO Red. 

Yeah. Two sessions. I think I can do reverse one day, wait 3-4 and do DU. I dunno, Im super wishy washy, one session I can blast 1/4 square, the very next one I cant bend a 60. I dont get it. Is it the nerve damage? Sleep, diet? I cant figure it out. If I focus 100% on red cert ill lose out on rebuilding grip strength.  Its quite the conundrum.

What I do know is if I dont. Ill give up the chance to cert. I cant seem to physically do multiple things. Kinda like I cant chew bubblegum, rub my belly and pat my head at the same time but picture it as grip strength, bending and general strength.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher

January 8: cardio. 3km on the treadmill with some pace variation. I’m pushing a bit too hard on regaining my speed before I’m back in my old form, but it’s great to be running again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopefully
On 1/8/2019 at 4:55 AM, KapMan said:

Yeah. Two sessions. I think I can do reverse one day, wait 3-4 and do DU. I dunno, Im super wishy washy, one session I can blast 1/4 square, the very next one I cant bend a 60. I dont get it. Is it the nerve damage? Sleep, diet? I cant figure it out. If I focus 100% on red cert ill lose out on rebuilding grip strength.  Its quite the conundrum.

What I do know is if I dont. Ill give up the chance to cert. I cant seem to physically do multiple things. Kinda like I cant chew bubblegum, rub my belly and pat my head at the same time but picture it as grip strength, bending and general strength.

 

Maybe some gtg bending works good? A few half easy bends each day or every other day. Or maybe prioritize Bending one week and grip the next, and do very light work on the other to not lose the groove. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom Flesher

1/14 before work:

1.5 miles on treadmill with light speed work, plus cooldown

Pendlay rows:

5x135

5x155

5x175

5x155

5x135

DO deadlift:

5x275

5x315

365x1

365x2 (mixed)

After work:

DO Bending in IMPs (7”): 2x1/4” G5 bolt

2xL drill rod

Chest crushed RGC COC4 (216) in DHWOG wraps x5

Reverse Bending in one IMP: 2xtimber ties

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Tom Flesher

I haven't been posting here (I've been doing my workouts on Instagram), but today I couldn't get a good set of photos so I didn't make an IG post.

For the past few weeks I've been doing a modified 5/3/1 program - I do a 15 minute stationary bike warmup, then 5/3/1 dead and OHP on Mondays with Pendlay rows and farmer's walks as accessory work. It's been primarily a @Donc101 type one heavy weight day, two bending day schedule, with little focus on braced and lots of unbraced bending in multiple styles. Last week following Cupid's Nightmare was my deload week. I absolutely melted some heavy drill rod during the week so, on thinking about my priorities, I put two goals in mind:

- I need to focus my energy on bending

- It's time to start gearing the cardio up for the spring 5K season.

(- secret bonus goal: I want to compete at 105kg at least once this year! Dovetails with the second goal, though.)

Consequent changes to my routine:

- taking some time off from the OHP. As much as I'm looking forward to pressing @Juliet that's going to need to wait for a while. I'm reaping the benefits of bringing my OHP up but I think I'm wasting bullets on it. I may continue doing some on the day after a bend session, depending how the scheduling shakes out; that way it'll at least be press that suffers from bending instead of vice versa.

- time to juice up the cardio.

So it's looking like I'm going to deadlift Mondays and ease off the accessory work quite so much, and then continue bending Tuesday and Friday in basically the rhythm I'd been in. Since I generally don't work Fridays, I may start doing assistance work Friday after bending or on Saturdays, but I'm pretty reliant on deadlifts to start the week mentally. Bending sessions are pretty much Indian clubs and 1-2 warmup bends (usually reverse and DUH to warm up), followed by 2-3 max or near-max DO bends. If I do braced, I do it here, and then I finish with isos and/or heavy gripper chest crushes.

I'm also planning to increase the jogging volume, but that tends not to affect my bending as long as I have some recovery in between. I generally run in the morning and bend in the afternoon after work.

Today:

"Warmup"/Cardio: 1.5 miles jogging slow and steady. Felt more gassed than usual on this.

DO Deadlift: 5x235, 5x275, 310x6 (less than I wanted but I was a bit gassed from the jog)

Mondays (and Wednesdays) are tough - I teach 8-9:15 AM, 9:30-10:45 AM, 12:30-1:45 PM at one school and a night class at a different place from 6:25-7:45 PM. I do my workout at 5:30-6 AM and I get the itch to bend between my afternoon and night classes, so I'm writing this post to keep myself from going to get an iso bar to fight with and ruin my Tuesday session.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.