Another Angry Gripboard Thread

Tom Flesher

Credit to @richcottrell for suggesting the name.

PROLOGUE in which our hero rambles on about things of interest to few others

After the excitement of Gripmas, I realized on the way home that I'm kind of directionless. I had a good competition: I PRed on all three events (120 grippers [still not a gripper guy], 177.xx Euro and 326.xx axle, if I remember all of my attempts correctly) and hilariously failed a Goliath (but so did everyone else). Aside from the bending competition that @Donc101 is running in May I don't have anything specific to train for, so I'd considered whether to focus on qualifying for Nationals in June (?) by trying to get my current numbers up. At 120 kg, that would mean nearly 40 pounds on two-hand Flask/Euro, 45 on the axle, 13 on one-hand Flask/Euro, 27 on the Crusher, or 35 on grippers.

35 on grippers! Sheesh.

A couple of those seem doable, though. Still, I'd have to really rededicate myself to grip work and scale back the bending stuff, and I really like bending. It's BS that I can't qualify for nationals by doing braced bends. Why isn't there a bending feat to qualify for...

thered.jpg.3d0e4991a41461ee1d9e5aa29a78b2cb.jpg

Well, crap, I guess I have to get this done.

I've been relatively successful doing four bending sessions (two braced, two unbraced, separate days), one dedicated grip day and one heavy weights day a week plus cardio. I've been making crazy braced progress, but I think I'm going to have to scale some of that back to get the focus that I need to cert the red. I'm also coming up on a nice time of year in my schedule where I'll be able to keep consistent afternoon workout times, but for the next two weeks I'm still teaching four days with two evening classes and have to stick to my current schedule.

My current modal week:

Monday: unbraced + wrist work

Tuesday: braced

Wednesday: unbraced

Thursday: braced

Friday: gym day

Saturday: Grip work (Astoria or solo)

Sunday: Rest

I'm planning to scale back the braced work a bit and try to find a good balance between gym trips and unbraced work. I also need to leave unbraced work pretty far from Saturday because I guarantee I'm going to get some unplanned reps then. With that in mind I'll probably drop Thursday's braced session and move Wednesday's unbraced work to Thursday to get a day of rest before it. That will also allow me to consciously increase my double overhand bending volume, since I won't be beating up my body so much with the braced bends.

Log to start on the completion of my next workout.

• Like 4

I don’t want to bury the lede. A few weeks ago I linked a red to about 28 degrees and couldn’t move it any further. I made an Instagram post, like my people do, and put it in my rubber banded packet of things I’ve linked and should come back to. 

I finished it today at the end of a workout that felt pretty good.

The Red was surprisingly hard at the end, since much of the crush was pretty straightforward. The last 1/4” or so took a really long time.

Taking a few days off and then coming back to hit it. I think I’m out of 7” 1/4” square but I have plenty of drill rod and an embarrassment of riches in terms of Bastards, shorter square stock, and 6” bolts.

All stock is 7” CRS in IMPs unless otherwise indicated.

Reverse: 2x3/16 round barehand

Double underhand: 3/16 square

Double overhand: 2x1/4” square; one Red Nail prekinked to about 28 degrees

• Like 4

I don't mean to state the obvious if you already know this, but:

There are other lifts you can hit to qualify for Nationals, too. Have you taken a look at those? There's also the option of sledge, block weights, 1-hand pinch, V-bar, hub, etc.

Who knows, you might be close on some of those other implements!

• Like 2

Oh, yeah, I’ve looked at some of that stuff. I’ve never quite gotten the hang of plate hub lifts and I work sledges and such as wrist work - I’m hoping to get the front sledge coin lift during this cycle too. 

But just between you and me, I kind of really want to cert the red and I’ve let other stuff distract me for too long so I decided on a mildly funny story with a Homer Simpson meme to explain why I was making another run. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom Flesher said:

Oh, yeah, I’ve looked at some of that stuff. I’ve never quite gotten the hang of plate hub lifts and I work sledges and such as wrist work - I’m hoping to get the front sledge coin lift during this cycle too. 

But just between you and me, I kind of really want to cert the red and I’ve let other stuff distract me for too long so I decided on a mildly funny story with a Homer Simpson meme to explain why I was making another run. 

Cool. Best of luck! The red nail is a big endeavor, and it looks like you are right there. 

I'll see you at Nationals (because I know you'll get there)!

• Like 3

I Beetlejuiced him in the OP but he doesn’t seem to have taken the bait. Oh well! I’ll just mock him mercilessly until he shows up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Congrats on the red, that is great!

Thanks Don! Simultaneously excited about finally completing one and kicking myself that it took so long, but now it’s about replicating and building on it. 

• Like 2

Congrats!  All the pieces will come together in short order.  Just keep leaning on that goal!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Guys my size don’t lean on things. They fall over. 

If you goal falls to your will...or your weight...it still falls. :)

• Like 2

Tom, certing on the Red Nail qualifies you for nationals, unless the rules changed. 

• Like 2

Congrats! I didn't realize you just finished your first full red nail, I guess you just so naturally carry yourself as a full red nail bender I never questioned - or maybe it was those 3 reds you just about fully bent in a row the other month I remember so vividly - either way about time! Also about time to get the cert done! Lets train that crush over and over if thats your hardest point - reds a good color to wear to start the new year!

• Like 3

Super quick workout today. I’d left today open for grip work but the planned workout in Astoria was cancelled due to weather.

@Anton.Torrella gave me a mystery bag of half bent stuff, largely drill rod but a bunch of Reds, Hexabastards, stuff like that, with various degrees of kink in it ranging from just a wobble to almost 90 degrees. I spent a little while tonight just working on that stuff - crushing down six random pieces ranging from an outlier at about 1/4” to a couple of pieces that looked to be L, M, and N. Planning another session very soon, as this one wasn’t very demanding and didn’t hurt too badly.

Also doing my classroom feats this week - one horseshoe Tuesday night, timber spike and horseshoe Wednesday morning, two timber spikes and a big grade 2 bolt Thursday morning. Nothing too wild.

• Like 6

Hit the gym this morning for a little bit of cardio and some weights.

10 minutes on the bike around 115bpm

DO Sumo Deadlift: 5x235, 5x270, 305x7

OHP: 2x5x115, 5x120. Went for 6 but couldn't lock it out.

Giving exams all day today.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Hit the gym this morning for a little bit of cardio and some weights.

10 minutes on the bike around 115bpm

DO Sumo Deadlift: 5x235, 5x270, 305x7

OHP: 2x5x115, 5x120. Went for 6 but couldn't lock it out.

Giving exams all day today.

You sadist

• Like 1

Tightening up Thursday’s feats. 

6” wrench kinked DO and thigh crushed

8” wrench kinked over the knee last night and thigh crushed today.

Both still a lot harder than I’d like - still, hard but doable is good for the classroom feats.

Planning to bend a horseshoe tonight  

• Like 2

Great job on the wrenches! I think people are more impressed with wrenches than most any other type of Bend. Wrenches and frying pans  always impress people. Great for the class. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Long time without an update. 

December 18, 19, 20: lots and lots of braced bending show-style. It was super hard on my body, because I got a little cocky on the last day.

December 23: Unstructured euro workout at Anton’s. There were some other implements I can’t recall now too, but there wasn’t any structure to it. (Also, bourbon balls courtesy of @Vinnie)

December 26: some light DO bending building up to a 6.5” square in leathers. I kinked this badly off center (one leg was only 2” long) and couldn’t finish it. 

December 31: Gym day. 15 minutes to warm up on the stationary bike followed by

Overhead press: 10x95, 2x5x115, 135x1+ (couldn’t lock out the second rep)

Deadlift: 5x225, 3x315, 365x2 plus lifting it to the rack afterward. 

Overall not as bad a workout as I’d expected! 

• Like 3

January 2

Indian clubs to warm up. I’m using one-pound clubs and making some big circles in both directions outside and in front, and then doing some Iron Sheik-style swings that are apparently called “shield cast.” This is fun and possibly helpful.

All bends except the 8” stock are in IMPs.

Reverse: 2 3/16x7 (chest crushed), 2 timber ties, one dull 60D to 40-45? degrees. I took a picture with a protractor app that I should post.

Double Overhand: 1/4x6.5 square. This is a tough bend for me so it was my working bend for today. Finished, but it took me a couple of rounds of hitting it and resting.

8” L drill rod and 1/4” square in DHWOG suedes over IMPs. The square kinked on a side and not a corner, but I killed it.

also did some cardio.

A6371863-8BFB-4C2A-87EF-861551D88529.jpeg

Edited by Tom Flesher
Added protractor photo
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

January 2

Indian clubs to warm up. I’m using one-pound clubs and making some big circles in both directions outside and in front, and then doing some Iron Sheik-style swings that are apparently called “shield cast.” This is fun and possibly helpful.

All bends except the 8” stock are in IMPs.

Reverse: 2 3/16x7 (chest crushed), 2 timber ties, one dull 60D to 40-45? degrees. I took a picture with a protractor app that I should post.

Double Overhand: 1/4x6.5 square. This is a tough bend for me so it was my working bend for today. Finished, but it took me a couple of rounds of hitting it and resting.

8” L drill rod and 1/4” square in DHWOG suedes over IMPs. The square kinked on a side and not a corner, but I killed it.

also did some cardio.

A6371863-8BFB-4C2A-87EF-861551D88529.jpeg

Good. No one caught you sleeping on the use of the protractor. My dumbass needed lessons🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1