2018 December - The Last Gripmas Carol - Vinnie Rivellese's report

Vinnie

Wow.  I am so lucky I fell into the grip crowd before Chris stopped doing Gripmas.  This was a most excellent day, filled with good people and satisfying exercise.  I did tire out sooner than I sometimes do, so I skipped the medley, which was something I was looking forward to but was just too spent to attempt.  But, that was only because I pushed myself and did my best all day before then.

So, at King Kong in October, I pulled something in my right arm.  It hurt so much I was pretty sure I would be doing Gripmas left handed.  Others were telling me to go to a doctor, and that I might need surgery.  Even now, in December, it is not 100%.  But it is much better.  Much better.  And today was a really good day.

First, I was definitely interested in doing the comp part of Gripmas.  So I ate carefully for a couple of days and made my weight by just about a kilogram - 82K on the scale, with light clothes on, got me into the 83K class.  Then I chowed on the generous and yummy breakfast that Chris had arranged.  Excellent start.

Grippers - at Nationals in June I closed a 140 and failed on 145.  Because of my injury, which has healed quite a bit, I have been avoiding max attempts.  They have been hurting.  So I decided to open with 135, which I have done pain-free at home recently, and to see what developed.  It closed pretty easily, so attempt 2 was 140.  I wouldn't say that was easy, but really not too bad.  So I perked up and thought; 145 maybe?  Even a little injured?  Let's try it!  Nope.  Failed.  But it didn't hurt!  That was a win.  So I did a 4th attempt and tried it again.  Failed again!  But another victory, because no pain.  My MM0 was a 145 and I've done more in practice without passing a block through, so almost getting 145 today signaled to me that I may be ready for a full on gripper workout again now or soon.  And the 140 for the books was the same as I've done before.  Very pleased!

Euro - at Nationals I pulled 182.  So I opened at 172, having warmed up well and feeling like slightly lower weights were not close to my max.  It went up fine, so I jumped to 182.  FAIL!  But someone remarked, I think it was Nate, "It looked like you had it and just decided to put it down before you got it all the way up!"  Yeah, that must have been it ... lol.  Well, I got 182 on the next try.  Then for my last shot, 187 just wasn't willing to go the whole way.  I'll take that 182!

Axle - anyone who saw me do that knows that I don't know how to deadlift.  And I don't deadlift.  My axle is limited by what my legs and core can lift (with bad form), not by what my hands will stay on.  I opened with 237, went to 250, then 263.  Before my last attempt, I hemmed and hawed over whether to go 270 or 277.  I chose 270, and it went up, so I held it for quite a while and set it down slowly and lightly like I was in someone's upper-floor apartment, because it was my last attempt.  But then when they upped it to 277, I just needed to know if I should have tried that instead.  They let me try it, not to count, and it went up!   Very pleased, except for the strategy snafu; should have been a little greedier there, but that happens.

My biggest impression from this event is the inclusion.  Everyone is made to feel like this is a place we all belong.  A year ago I had just met Anton and Anthony, and they were going to last year's gripmas and told me that week's workout was cancelled.  A year later, I drove the two of them to Gripmas.  And liked it, even the 8 hour drive.  They made a newcomer feel welcome, and Chris made me feel welcome, and the sport makes me feel welcome.  In return, I say welcome to all the newbies who want to jump on this expand your hands bandwagon!  It's a great ride.

That is all.  Humor next time.  I had a blast, and many thanks to Chris Rice, his wife, and all my many grip mentors and friends!  Good night!

• Like 16

It was great to see you there, dude! Already looking forward to next time

• Like 4

And now that I've learned Gripmas is going to be continued even closer to my home (thanks to Tank), I have to say I am doubly happy.   Great weekend!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Vinnie said:

jump on this expand your hands bandwagon!  It's a great ride.

I like this line.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

That 145 stymied a lot of people! It was great experiencing this with you. 

Stymied me twice - and twice at nationals, too (same set I think).  I'm suspicious it might actually be 146 or so ... lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Stymied me twice - and twice at nationals, too (same set I think).  I'm suspicious it might actually be 146 or so ... lol

Or atleast a 145.5 - clearly - it really did have tough action though

• Like 1