Blockweights, blobs, and rocks. Oh my!!!

JHenze646

Somewhere over the rainbow, er, the internet the r/griptraining group on Reddit is running another challenge for the month of December, Blockweight Feats! The judging is going to be subjective so it’s not gonna be just about absolute weight and they are allowing all kinds of objects like blockweights, blobs, stacks of small plates, and even weighed rocks to be considered for the challenge.

I would encourage you to folla, folla, follow the yellow brick road link over to the challenge page to get the details and submit an entry or two. If you don’t have the courage or your heart is just not in it, you can always use your brain to think of some creative feats and post in this thread for fun. I will be posting some of mine here too.

Now if you will excuse me I am going to click my heels together three times and try to bring victory home.

Let the shenanigans begin.

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 2

Awesome...im going to start to get more involved with Reddit, there seems to be a bunch of grip stuff happening there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KapMan said:

They trashed my hammer videos. 

Not everyone will appreciate your art but you have to make it anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.” - Dorothy

You may want to turn the sound off before viewing. I covered the static and interference from the gym radio with some horrible “holiday favorites”.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Not everyone will appreciate your art but you have to make it anyway.

Amen.

Nice lift bro!

• Like 2

Great pinching, coordination and dexterity. I liked the double hex toss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

“Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.” - Dorothy

You may want to turn the sound off before viewing. I covered the static and interference from the gym radio with some horrible “holiday favorites”.

Damn. The feats were as good as the sound was bad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

Damn. The feats were as good as the sound was bad.

I aim to please. 😉

• Like 1

That much blobing this close to gripmas?! You mad man! - Great bunch of lifts, especially in sequence - yea we were doing a bunch of block weight work this spring, gotta bring it back before year's end

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

That much blobing this close to gripmas?!

I won’t be competing at Gripmas so I will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not competing?! Who are you, @anwnate? Is this the new trend at grip comps? Jeeze....well atleast it'll be one less person who beats me then

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Not competing?! Who are you, @anwnate? Is this the new trend at grip comps? Jeeze....well atleast it'll be one less person who beats me then

Damn these "no compete" clauses!

Seriously though @JHenze646  I bet I can out noncompete you this weekend.  Oh wait...I just lost. Damn. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meteorological conditions and hand recovery were not cooperating for me to try and throw down some more feats. However I grabbed a lighter blob and worked on my moves.

“If we walk far enough," says Dorothy, "we shall sometime come to someplace.”

• Like 4

Howdy, I have made the trip back down the yellow brick road from reddit to here! I was just wondering how you guys program blocks/blobs into your training, like what kinds of sets/reps/# of times per week/etc?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigRedDoc said:

Howdy, I have made the trip back down the yellow brick road from reddit to here! I was just wondering how you guys program blocks/blobs into your training, like what kinds of sets/reps/# of times per week/etc?

Welcome to the ‘board!

Training routines for blocks/blobs very as wildly as any other kind of training. Most often it depends on the goal(s) you hope to accomplish.  If you have a specific goal you want to share, post it. Myself or others will either help you or direct you to the person who can help you most.

For general hand strength, a once weekly workout with block/blobs would be a good starting point. A few warm up sets with a light weight is never a bad idea. I usually do way to many lifts/attempts when I train blockweights. I tend to get carried away(like a house in a twister).

• Like 1

Do them after everything else, unless you are really close to lifting something for the first time.

If you can't lift it, drag it across the floor or up an incline. Dragging towards your thumb is more difficult than towards fingers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Welcome to the ‘board!

Thanks! I guess my goal is just to increase my open hand pinch strength. I have a loadable blob coming as a Christmas gift from my lady so for now I am going to try to increase my strength on that, on a 50lb hex DB, and a stack of 5-10s so that if I get the chance at some real blobs I’ll hopefully be ready for them. 

6 hours ago, wobbler said:

Do them after everything else, unless you are really close to lifting something for the first time.

If you can't lift it, drag it across the floor or up an incline. Dragging towards your thumb is more difficult than towards fingers.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give that a shot. 

4 hours ago, BigRedDoc said:

Thanks! I guess my goal is just to increase my open hand pinch strength. I have a loadable blob coming as a Christmas gift from my lady so for now I am going to try to increase my strength on that, on a 50lb hex DB, and a stack of 5-10s so that if I get the chance at some real blobs I’ll hopefully be ready for them. 

Check out “Grip Rush” training. It makes a good blockweight finisher when you have limited equipment.

• Thanks 1

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.” - Wizard of Oz

I was able to make it into the gym both during the day and it wasn’t raining. Score!

I was only able to pull off one of the blockweight feats I am trying to snag for the challenge though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.” - Wizard of Oz

I was able to make it into the gym both during the day and it wasn’t raining. Score!

I was only able to pull off one of the blockweight feats I am trying to snag for the challenge though.

Awesome! Though I know, that you know, that I know what one of the other feats is. Good hunting!

• Like 1