Andrew P

Bending Revival Plan

Andrew P

Steel Bending Roadmap

Overview of Major Changes

·         Athletes will be required to pay a fee of $3 per certification.

·         Athletes will be required to fill out a new standardized form containing information for the bend.

·         Judges will be compensated a $3 store credit for each bend judged.

·         Multiple Judges will be brought on and it will be a work as desired system.

·         Records list and Credits will be updated on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month. Plus-Minus 48 hours.

Concept and Thoughts

I thank everyone for the ideas and suggestions on how to handle the bending certs I’ve decided to go with a pay to cert system. What I want to create here is a true win-win-win scenario where benders are judged not by some arbitrary store owner but peers and friends within the bending community. So first and foremost the Judges will be compensated with a store credit matching the cost of the certification. This for one will pay for the time but more importantly encourage that the Judge is an active bender using this to help fund the habit and watch the video’s he would already have enjoyed studying. The athlete will have the benefit of getting feedback on the bend from a fellow active bender and a more responsive system overall. As the organizer this will increase steel sales which go right back into maintaining the store and covering my time and energy updating the website. Also the paying in store credit gets me around some of the accounting issues. Now the negative point I loathe to bring up is the number 1 way that people cheat a FBBC cert is they don’t use FBBC Steel. If the judges are checking the style and such is good the only thing then that I have to verify is the materials authenticity. I still have a significant amount of background work I need to do so I’ll lay out the task list for everyone here. I’m not going to make any promises when I’ll get it done with the Holidays and Gripmas here but I’m trying.

Tasks:

·         Honor all past certifications. Someone whose initials may have C-A-M is almost done and that was a lot.

·         Open new Certs email account. Current server works but is not new user friendly and Judges don’t need to add that to things they need to figure out.

·         Consolidate all the bending rules into a single PDF

·         Clean up rules on webpage.

·         Generate form Athletes Submit with bending video.

·         Generate instructions page for Athletes. Video’s, Form fillout, ect

·         Set up credit tracking system

·         Bring Judges on board

·         MAKE BENDING GREAT AGAIN

Long Term Tasks:                                            

·         Expand bending to include braced bending

·         Generate new certificates for bends.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

anwnate

Great work Andrew...and all who are part of this exciting Ali-like return to the ring!

• Like 4

KapMan

Excellent 😈

Horrido

Thanks for bringing this together, Andrew.

I think this will be a good time for the FBBC Bends.

• Like 2

acromegaman

This route will definitely make things smoother if it goes as planned. It may bring some benders out of retirement 😏

• Like 3

Donc101

I can tell you put a lot of thought into this. Thanks for doing this! 

With the issue of people using bars that are not FBBC, have you ever thought about putting a tag or some type of identification on the bars?  Its honestly crazy people do that, you know you are not bending the real bar so you cant take any pride in the accomplishment, so whats the point.

• Like 6

Andrew P
6 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

I can tell you put a lot of thought into this. Thanks for doing this! 

With the issue of people using bars that are not FBBC, have you ever thought about putting a tag or some type of identification on the bars?  Its honestly crazy people do that, you know you are not bending the real bar so you cant take any pride in the accomplishment, so whats the point.

Possible but I'm trying to touch the steel as little as possible. I once labeled an entire batch of ~100pc and swore I would never do that again. Paint on the other hand I have been considering. 

I don't know but I've seen some weird things over the years. Most ballsy one is when I had a guy submit a crusher record pull with a old Rolling thunder. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

KapMan

My dumb ass needs labels. Could it be possible to request at least 1 bar in a order be labeled?  

• Like 1

Andrew P
57 minutes ago, KapMan said:

My dumb ass needs labels. Could it be possible to request at least 1 bar in a order be labeled?  

That I could do. 

• Thanks 1

Tom Flesher

I’m happy to help out any way I can. I’m of course willing to jump on board as a judge if needed and possible, but I also come from a teaching and training background so if you’d like a hand developing or creating a training document or video for judges please let me know.

• Like 3

wobbler

One judge per bend? I think that's fine if you trust the judges, but with multiple judges it doesn't add up. I see you bleeding a ton of store credit as described?

One more idea, group the certs and make easier ones a bit more expensive to submit than harder ones. Otherwise you'll get flooded with 1/4 round videos or whatever the easiest one is.

Edit: quick stamp idea, mount a letter or number stamp in a tube, that way you can drop a bar in, one tap with a hammer, and the end is stamped. Modify (file) a standard stamp so it's slightly imperfect and recognizable. Sure someone could still cheat it, but would take a lot more effort.

Edited by wobbler
Stamp

Andrew P
1 hour ago, wobbler said:

One judge per bend? I think that's fine if you trust the judges, but with multiple judges it doesn't add up. I see you bleeding a ton of store credit as described?

One more idea, group the certs and make easier ones a bit more expensive to submit than harder ones. Otherwise you'll get flooded with 1/4 round videos or whatever the easiest one is.

Edit: quick stamp idea, mount a letter or number stamp in a tube, that way you can drop a bar in, one tap with a hammer, and the end is stamped. Modify (file) a standard stamp so it's slightly imperfect and recognizable. Sure someone could still cheat it, but would take a lot more effort.

That's a good point the easiest one now is 1/4" Square CRS. But I haven't seen too many of those most people start with the 5/16" Bastard. 

• Like 1

Anton.Torrella

These sound like great ideas - I'm glad to read it and look forward to the move to MAKE BENDING GREAT AGAIN - definitely gotta slap that and the FBBC logo on a shirt or hat or something too - not to add one more thing to do but I'd sure buy it haha

• Like 5

Briso

Excellent Andrew :-)

Glad to see this.... Onwards and upwards!