GSI Funding Idea

Andrew P

Sorry guys I could not find the thread announcing the last updates.  @Eric Roussin @Bryan Hunsaker

But I was thinking in the deer stand last week, if the idea of having a yearly membership was un-liked by the community what about this idea. Have the contest have a flat rate for sanctioning then an additional charge for each athlete. Pulling numbers out of thin air it would look like this. $20 flat contest fee plus 5$ per athlete fee. The individual contest for the athlete will be less and GSI will not have to track and monitor registered athletes. That should cut out a big chunk of book keeping. 

Looking at KK 2018. GSI would have netted $20 + (209 athletes X 5$) = $1,060

It's something to get the org started with and has less tracking and leg work than a yearly membership. 

Just an idea. 

Funding been on my mind for years. The number one thing I've learned is volunteers don't work outside of a short time window.

• Like 1

Ill never for the life of me understand why funding our own community was so unliked. 

Its like some folk dont want to grow, or to make contests better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Sorry guys I could not find the thread announcing the last updates.  @Eric Roussin @Bryan Hunsaker

But I was thinking in the deer stand last week, if the idea of having a yearly membership was un-liked by the community what about this idea. Have the contest have a flat rate for sanctioning then an additional charge for each athlete. Pulling numbers out of thin air it would look like this. $20 flat contest fee plus 5$ per athlete fee. The individual contest for the athlete will be less and GSI will not have to track and monitor registered athletes. That should cut out a big chunk of book keeping. 

Looking at KK 2018. GSI would have netted $20 + (209 athletes X 5$) = $1,060

It's something to get the org started with and has less tracking and leg work than a yearly membership. 

Just an idea. 

The latest decision was that annual membership fees would be optional for 2019. The token fee per athlete, per contest, has previously been floated and I think it has merit. But I do know there are some promoters who have expressed disagreement with anything that would increase costs for competitors. I personally feel most competitors wouldn’t have an issue with it.

• Like 1

I think a membership fee would be a hurdle in the quest for new competiors.

I would have a hard time to convince people here in europe to paypal money to someone just to be on a list they never heard of.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

@Andrew P Thanks for the idea.  We have discussed something similar.  In 2019 we'll rely on donations from corporate sponsors and willing contributions from athletes, but will not have a requirement to pay a fee.

@Jedd Johnson@Allen Heineck

I'll donate $1 for every invoice I fulfill and I am willing to start that from the date I launched my website...where do I donate? At the end of every month I will pay into this using this method and challenge the other grip equipment companies to do something similar.

Companies like AASS/Diesel Crew, BSS, FBBC, DWOG, Silarukov, BearGrip, Country Crush, Otevoima, Country Crush, Grip Genie, Armlifting USA (not equipment company but grip based) and possibly some general donations from the bigger names (Ironmind, Sorinex) or other companies we could generate some financial backing considering the gripsters are the ones that buying our equipment and supporting each of us. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, honk said:

I think a membership fee would be a hurdle in the quest for new competiors.

I would have a hard time to convince people here in europe to paypal money to someone just to be on a list they never heard of.

If people aren't willing to pitch in $5-10/yr then they aren't eligible, plain and simple. And when someone competes in a contest that fee could be part of the entry fee for non-members and a cheaper entry fee for people that are members so there is part of the benefit of being a member. The sport will not grow without some sort of commitment from the community. 

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I'll donate $1 for every invoice I fulfill and I am willing to start that from the date I launched my website...where do I donate? At the end of every month I will pay into this using this method and challenge the other grip equipment companies to do something similar.

Companies like AASS/Diesel Crew, BSS, FBBC, DWOG, Silarukov, BearGrip, Country Crush, Otevoima, Country Crush, Grip Genie, Armlifting USA (not equipment company but grip based) and possibly some general donations from the bigger names (Ironmind, Sorinex) or other companies we could generate some financial backing considering the gripsters are the ones that buying our equipment and supporting each of us. 

If people aren't willing to pitch in $5-10/yr then they aren't eligible, plain and simple. And when someone competes in a contest that fee could be part of the entry fee for non-members and a cheaper entry fee for people that are members so there is part of the benefit of being a member. The sport will not grow without some sort of commitment from the community. 

That’s an awesome donation Luke. Very nice of you. 

And to the people that won’t pay a small fee to compete, how much other crap do we pay for and put out money into everyday that don’t give you the benefit of competition, comraderie, being put on a list “that no one has heard of” 🤦‍♂️  and maybe win some prizes and trophy’s/medals. The ones that won’t pay a small fee for that are the ones that aren’t serious about competition anyway. They will pay 20 bucks for one movie viewing or some other frivolous activities, but not to compete? See ya! 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 1:33 PM, Lucasraymond said:

Yup, makes a lot of sense.

I'll call it record keeping fee or something. ;-)