2018 November - Old School Grip Contest - John Foelber

lder

Last Saturday, I competed in the second annual Old School Grip Contest hosted by Baltimore Kettlebell Club in Perry Hall, Maryland.  I was fortunate enough to win for the second year in a row, which makes my overall grip contest first place record 3 for 3.  Mike Rinderle also competed and did well.  Every contestant got a shirt, a great lunch was provided and Dan Cenidoza bent custom trophies for the top three finisher in each division.  The attached picture is of the first place trophies from the last two years.  

This event is a well-run contest that was competitive, but relaxed at the same time.  Like any competition, each competitor wanted to win and tried their best in each event.  However almost everyone was encouraging and was cheering on the other competitors between their attempts.  This environment and level of camaraderie is what will keep me coming back every year for this contest. 

The lifts included a two handed gripper, York blob lift, sledge hammer face lever, overhand straight arm hang for time, and a highland games ring deadlift.  I won three out of the five events.  Instead of going into the specifics of each event I am going give you a general sense of my training for the events.  

Most everyone who competes trains to perform their best and be successful.  However, too often this focus is narrowly on the end result, and certain components that lead to that success are left out.  This can apply to grip training and competitive lifting the same way it applies to athletics in general.  If you want to be a better golfer so you practice and play a lot hoping to improve, but you neglect physical conditioning and a healthy diet.  What do you think will happen?  You get to the back nine and can’t concentrate (diet), your lower back and is achy (physical), and your overall energy levels are down (diet).  Using this approach you might make some progress toward improving your game, but it will be inconsistent and capped once you hit a certain baseline level of competency or performance.  Imagine what would be possible if that same golfer took a little more time to do some golf specific exercises and tightened up their diet.  I work with a variety of golfers at all levels and would guess that for most amateur golfers, around 5-7 strokes are thrown away each round because of issues that arise from the lack of physical preparedness and a poor diet.  

When I planned out my training cycle for this event I had three areas of focus in this order: injury prevention, proper diet, and then performance. 

I had another grip contest 8 weeks prior (which I also won).  From there I planned out every week leading up to the contest.  With some/most grip movements its best that you only train them once a week, so it is important to get started as soon as possible.  There were three events that required closed hand crushing strength (gripper, hang, ring deadlift), one pinch grip event (York blob), and one wrist strength event (face lever).  I don’t have strong wrists, and with the time I had to train (8 weeks) combined with the knowledge that some of the other competitors excelled at this event, I decided not to train for this event at all.  I train closed hand crushing movements with some gripper work, and weighted hangs and wide pinch with my blobs.  All of weights that I did in training were and [MF2] submaximal and the lifts themselves were very technically sound.  In addition to this method my accessory/recovery work was four times time amount of volume that I did on the actual trained movements.  Because of that, I knew I was not going to get hurt during competition, which let me go after some big weights without any hesitation.   For example, I pulled 370lbs on the ring deadlift to win the event, but with the way I felt I could have easily gone well into the 400lb range without a problem. (In training the most I did on that lift was 325lbs).  

Diet was my next area of focus.  This was not as much of a total overhaul, but just a more planned meals with enough calories to support my training.  Usually I am on my feet all day engaged with clients, so I tend to not eat enough during the day.  Also, I eliminated alcohol from my diet for 4 weeks leading up to the competition.  This helped keep inflammation in check and helped keep me from getting dehydrated. 

Performance was the final thing I was concerned about.  I already mentioned that I did not “max out” on any of my training lifts, but what is also important is my training environment.  Where you train has a lot to do with the amount success you will have toward reaching your goal.  I am fortunate enough to own one of the best private training studios in Maryland and have access to any and all of the equipment I need.   This combined with my knowledge of strength training and how my body reacts to different stresses allowed me to train to perform at a high level for this contest.  However, I do a few things contrary to the typical lifter.  My work and family schedule keeps me busy and changes week to week so I train at all different times of the day.  This means I train alone and don’t have the energy or support of other lifters.  I also don’t listen to music and sometimes kick off a bank of lights in my training studio to soften the environment even more.   This is done on purpose to decrease the amount of stimulation during my workouts and it does a few things for me:  it makes my submaximal training weights feel a little heavier, decreases my level of intensity which helps eliminate training injuries, and allows me to focus on improving technique.   On the day of competition, I had a huge surge of adrenaline and energy because of the atmosphere at Baltimore Kettlebell Club.  More than likely if you train in a high stimulus environment all the time with a partner or group you will feel a drop in energy and underperform in formal competition.  Because I train by myself in a low stimulus environment I get just the opposite effect and it feels unreal. 

The last thing I want to mention is that the week before for the competition I got a head and chest cold which impacted my training.  I did not touch a grip implement or workout the entire week leading up to the contest.  The planning and work that I did for the previous 7 weeks allowed me to do well enough to win. 

On a side note I did clean a next gen blob for the second year in a row, with the way the rounds were set up there was minimal warm-up and around 10 minutes between rounds.  I have done this multiple times in training, but it was nice to do it in competition with out much warm-up.  

I would recommend this contest to anyone who is serious about grip or is just starting out.  

John Foelber

OSG.jpg

• Like 10

Nice write up John.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and strategies.  Congrats!

Details have not yet been firmed up, but the first or second Saturday in June, somewhere in PA or NY would be likely combinations.

Nice write-up 

5 hours ago, lder said:

Last Saturday, I competed in the second annual Old School Grip Contest hosted by Baltimore Kettlebell Club in Perry Hall, Maryland.  I was fortunate enough to win for the second year in a row, which makes my overall grip contest first place record 3 for 3.  Mike Rinderle also competed and did well.  Every contestant got a shirt, a great lunch was provided and Dan Cenidoza bent custom trophies for the top three finisher in each division.  The attached picture is of the first place trophies from the last two years.  

This event is a well-run contest that was competitive, but relaxed at the same time.  Like any competition, each competitor wanted to win and tried their best in each event.  However almost everyone was encouraging and was cheering on the other competitors between their attempts.  This environment and level of camaraderie is what will keep me coming back every year for this contest. 

The lifts included a two handed gripper, York blob lift, sledge hammer face lever, overhand straight arm hang for time, and a highland games ring deadlift.  I won three out of the five events.  Instead of going into the specifics of each event I am going give you a general sense of my training for the events.  

Most everyone who competes trains to perform their best and be successful.  However, too often this focus is narrowly on the end result, and certain components that lead to that success are left out.  This can apply to grip training and competitive lifting the same way it applies to athletics in general.  If you want to be a better golfer so you practice and play a lot hoping to improve, but you neglect physical conditioning and a healthy diet.  What do you think will happen?  You get to the back nine and can’t concentrate (diet), your lower back and is achy (physical), and your overall energy levels are down (diet).  Using this approach you might make some progress toward improving your game, but it will be inconsistent and capped once you hit a certain baseline level of competency or performance.  Imagine what would be possible if that same golfer took a little more time to do some golf specific exercises and tightened up their diet.  I work with a variety of golfers at all levels and would guess that for most amateur golfers, around 5-7 strokes are thrown away each round because of issues that arise from the lack of physical preparedness and a poor diet.  

When I planned out my training cycle for this event I had three areas of focus in this order: injury prevention, proper diet, and then performance. 

I had another grip contest 8 weeks prior (which I also won).  From there I planned out every week leading up to the contest.  With some/most grip movements its best that you only train them once a week, so it is important to get started as soon as possible.  There were three events that required closed hand crushing strength (gripper, hang, ring deadlift), one pinch grip event (York blob), and one wrist strength event (face lever).  I don’t have strong wrists, and with the time I had to train (8 weeks) combined with the knowledge that some of the other competitors excelled at this event, I decided not to train for this event at all.  I train closed hand crushing movements with some gripper work, and weighted hangs and wide pinch with my blobs.  All of weights that I did in training were and [MF2] submaximal and the lifts themselves were very technically sound.  In addition to this method my accessory/recovery work was four times time amount of volume that I did on the actual trained movements.  Because of that, I knew I was not going to get hurt during competition, which let me go after some big weights without any hesitation.   For example, I pulled 370lbs on the ring deadlift to win the event, but with the way I felt I could have easily gone well into the 400lb range without a problem. (In training the most I did on that lift was 325lbs).  

Diet was my next area of focus.  This was not as much of a total overhaul, but just a more planned meals with enough calories to support my training.  Usually I am on my feet all day engaged with clients, so I tend to not eat enough during the day.  Also, I eliminated alcohol from my diet for 4 weeks leading up to the competition.  This helped keep inflammation in check and helped keep me from getting dehydrated. 

Performance was the final thing I was concerned about.  I already mentioned that I did not “max out” on any of my training lifts, but what is also important is my training environment.  Where you train has a lot to do with the amount success you will have toward reaching your goal.  I am fortunate enough to own one of the best private training studios in Maryland and have access to any and all of the equipment I need.   This combined with my knowledge of strength training and how my body reacts to different stresses allowed me to train to perform at a high level for this contest.  However, I do a few things contrary to the typical lifter.  My work and family schedule keeps me busy and changes week to week so I train at all different times of the day.  This means I train alone and don’t have the energy or support of other lifters.  I also don’t listen to music and sometimes kick off a bank of lights in my training studio to soften the environment even more.   This is done on purpose to decrease the amount of stimulation during my workouts and it does a few things for me:  it makes my submaximal training weights feel a little heavier, decreases my level of intensity which helps eliminate training injuries, and allows me to focus on improving technique.   On the day of competition, I had a huge surge of adrenaline and energy because of the atmosphere at Baltimore Kettlebell Club.  More than likely if you train in a high stimulus environment all the time with a partner or group you will feel a drop in energy and underperform in formal competition.  Because I train by myself in a low stimulus environment I get just the opposite effect and it feels unreal. 

The last thing I want to mention is that the week before for the competition I got a head and chest cold which impacted my training.  I did not touch a grip implement or workout the entire week leading up to the contest.  The planning and work that I did for the previous 7 weeks allowed me to do well enough to win. 

On a side note I did clean a next gen blob for the second year in a row, with the way the rounds were set up there was minimal warm-up and around 10 minutes between rounds.  I have done this multiple times in training, but it was nice to do it in competition with out much warm-up.  

I would recommend this contest to anyone who is serious about grip or is just starting out.  

John Foelber

OSG.jpg

Not touching an implement a week before a contest is actually a good way to go. It refreshes your nervous system for max lifting at the event. I do that very thing myself. You did it because if sickness, but it obviously worked out well for you. Nice job! 

Joe,

Thanks for the advice.  I understand everyone is different and some things work better for some but not others.  Since I don't come close to maxing out during my training sessions and keep track of my volume there is no need to intentionally "de-load" or take a week off before competing.  Active recovery using the same implements leading right up to the day you compete is much more beneficial than going cold turkey.  I also don't post much and need more posts to access the for sale section of the forum so thanks for giving me a reason to post a response.  

9 minutes ago, lder said:

Joe,

Thanks for the advice.  I understand everyone is different and some things work better for some but not others.  Since I don't come close to maxing out during my training sessions and keep track of my volume there is no need to intentionally "de-load" or take a week off before competing.  Active recovery using the same implements leading right up to the day you compete is much more beneficial than going cold turkey.  I also don't post much and need more posts to access the for sale section of the forum so thanks for giving me a reason to post a response.  

Taking off the week before works best for me. If I messed around with implements up until the day, I feel I would be stale. I beat my nervous system up hard when I train. That week of recovery always has me come back stronger the day of. But like you said, everyone is different.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this earlier.  Great job on the win!