What's your favorite thing in grip?

climber511

Not the one you are best at and so do it all the time but the one you might do simply for the "fun" it offers you?

Mine would be scrolling with moderate difficultly steel - stuff I can control fairly well.  Maybe 3/8" square or 1/4 x 3/4" - not the stuff I have to strain at all with  as in a long bar "bend".  I can have a lot of fun with a 10' piece of either of those bars.  And in the summer where I can go out in the yard - a 20' section.  How about you?

• Like 5

That's tough. I've always been drawn to the DO axle deadlift.  But even though I have a love/hate relationship with grippers - it's kind of fun to have a pile of 'em on the table when friends come over.  If I had to pick lifts to do purely for 'fun' I'd go with blobs and Inch style dumbbells.

Mine would be reverse bending. I don't do it anymore since it just taxes my hands too much making it harder to progress in the main areas of grip. There is just something satisfying about feeling the steel give and heat up. I prefer to do it with minimal wraps or even no wraps so I can really feel the steel. As far as my favorite event I did in a grip contest it would be the silver bullet. That is just a really fun event and you have to keep you entire body tense to fight your hand from opening up making it an intense event especially when you know the time you have to beat. 

• Like 2

I mostly train grippers right now, but sledgehammer lifts from the floor are probably my favourite. Not even particularly strong with them, but the lack of wrist strength of the average man really shows when it comes to the lift. 

With the 7lber I have, I can do the typical coin lift, but lifting the hammer fully up from the floor such that it becomes vertical (i.e. not just lifting it horizontally). Most people don't appreciate how much of a difference a 30+ inch handle makes to 'only 7lbs', but everyone I know in real life who has tried it hasn't even been able to get air with it.

Easy to track progress too - just keep moving further up the handle.

I really like braced bending. Lots of different options and techniques and a great overall body strength builder. Just plain lots of fun to do too.

• Like 2

Reverse bending. Doesn’t take super consistent training to keep on top of it or to improve. And out of all thing grip it’s about the only thing I have a real knack for. 

• Like 5

Toss up between blobs and Inch dumbbell

• Like 1

12 hours ago, climber511 said:

Mine would be scrolling with moderate difficultly steel - stuff I can control fairly well.  Maybe 3/8" square or 1/4 x 3/4" 

I usually refer to 3/8 as “strongman” square. It makes great scrolls in my opinion.

Its a toss up between quality rolling handles and blockweights.

12 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I really like braced bending. Lots of different options and techniques and a great overall body strength builder. Just plain lots of fun to do too.

Have to agree. Different bars are challenging in different ways. I get funny looks when I say long bars are very cerebral at times, but you really have to think about and plan out how to attack them sometimes. 

• Like 3

Blobs and Thickbars. The two things I suck at the most. :)

• Like 2

Grippers will always have a special place in my heart.  I started in grip with them and frankly knew nothing else at the time.  I used to get the MILO and the first thing I did was to see who certified as a Captain of Crush.  Brooks Kubik mentioned IronMind grippers in an issue of Hard Training Newsletter.

• Like 2

My favorite things in grip are DO bending and grippers - closing a new gripper or finishing a new piece of steel for the first time is always amazing every time!

• Like 5

I hate it all, but I love the gang that does it, so I've kept at it off and on for about 9 years now.  I probably hate block weights and Napalm's Nightmare the least.

• Like 2

I suck at everything so i guess its all super fun to me lol. Something about unbraced bending though !

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

My brother. 

My sister.

• Like 1

Grippers are the thing I love most I'd say, but I have come to like pinch implements a whole lot, especially the flask and the Euro.  Oh, and the inch pinch!

I do NOT like the moontop.

• Like 2

@Wannagripand I are on the same page.  Grippers for me.  I have the urge to squeeze any gripper someone puts in front of me.  Doesn't matter if it's a cheap foam-handled toddler gripper or a beast of a gripper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bencrush said:

@Wannagripand I are on the same page.  Grippers for me.  I have the urge to squeeze any gripper someone puts in front of me.  Doesn't matter if it's a cheap foam-handled toddler gripper or a beast of a gripper.

Haha ...so true, Ben!

• Like 1

Wide Pinch (block weights especially) and vertical bar/anvil style lifts; least like to train the small items that have minimal carryover to other stuff (stub, 1/2 penny, shallow hub)

• Like 1