How Long Did it Take You to Progress 5 lbs in RGC?

Onerepman

1.) When you're capable of crushing a CoC No. 2.5? So around a 130lb RGC crush.

2.) When you're capable of crushing a CoC No. 3? Around a 150 lb RGC crush.

3.)When you're capable of crushing a CoC No. 3.5 and above? Around a 180+ lb RGC crush. 

In each of these, what're your guy's personal experiences with the time it took to add 5 pounds to your RGC crushing power? Obviously the stronger you get, the slower it takes to progress. I want to know how many weeks/months/even years it took for you to add 5 lbs to your crush. 

• Like 1

Hasnt taken me long. I went from a solid 2.5 to murdering a 3 mms in maybe 3 months. I really cant remember. Same with going from 144 to 162. 

I stopped grippers and after a year came back and I'm nearly closing a 172 tetting.

I think it depends on the person too. Training method and all that jazz 

• Like 2

This is tough to answer because it’s based on starting point and potential. Everyone will be different. I was able to close a 133lb #2.5 right from the start and closed a 149lb #3 in 5 weeks. I didnt have anything in between but my started point was somewhere in between (maybe 140). When the grind started for me was 180+. That’s when things slowed down and I had to work harder 

another thing to consider is overall potential. Not many guys will ever hit 180+ no matter how hard or long they train. Just like few people will ever bench 500 raw.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

If I had concentrated on grippers straight from 100 lbs to 185lbs without interruption, injury or other training, I might have a chance to answer your question as asked.

I've nearly always made large gains (5+) after long layoffs from grippers...and not necessarily directly from working grippers. 

I definitely think optimum gripper gains are done when it (crush) is the only actual grip work you are doing. 

Although newbie gains are always going to come faster, I still managed to improve 14 lbs in 3 months to my current top end.  But again...it was after a long layoff...so its likely my crush was improving via avenues other than grippers.

So while my input helps very little...perhaps some hope can be derived from it.

• Like 5

I closed the #1 straight out of the packet, and closed the #1.5 in the next week. After about a month, I ordered the #2 and #2.5. I closed the #2 first try (it was never rated, but I now know it's an easy #2) and I thought I was doing pretty well. It was another year before I finally closed the #2.5, and for another year after that I still couldn't close it consistently...it almost drove me nuts! 😡

My problem was with the set. On the rare occasions I got it right I could close it, but I couldn't do it consistently. About 6 months ago I started dynamic thumb work with a pony clamp from CPW, sledgehammer work, and also joined a gym. One of the three worked, I can close my #2.5 (RGC 128lbs) five times RH and three LH now.

I'm 5mm away from closing my CPW Spectrum 300N (RGC 144lbs). If it torments me as much as the #2.5 I'll grind it down to metal filings and eat it.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I "liked" every reply. Anyone who takes the time to answer the questions posed in this thread is very kind, thoughtful, and patient.

I can't tell if you are being facetious or not. Don't most serious grip enthusiasts log their progress? I've just recently acquired the ability to close a CoC No. 2.5. In due time I'll be able to exactly answer how long it takes me to add 5 lbs to my crushing power.

Kind of hard to answer because my gripper strength goes up and down but it took me about 1 month to gain 5+ lbs when I did RRBT. By that time I was at #2.5-level.

After that I didn't make any gains whatsoever training with lower volume. I was stuck forever in the low 140's. Did KTA for 1 month (not the entire program) and gained somewhere between 5-10 lbs I would say.

Did CBT program (8 weeks) and closed my first 150# rated gripper. After that it took me 7 months to hit my best close so far COC#3 at 153# but I believe that was a 5 lbs gain because that close was very easy.

Then it took me about 1-2 months of thickbar training to get down to 135# again :yikes

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Kind of hard to answer because my gripper strength goes up and down but it took me about 1 month to gain 5+ lbs when I did RRBT. By that time I was at #2.5-level.

After that I didn't make any gains whatsoever training with lower volume. I was stuck forever in the low 140's. Did KTA for 1 month (not the entire program) and gained somewhere between 5-10 lbs I would say.

Did CBT program (8 weeks) and closed my first 150# rated gripper. After that it took me 7 months to hit my best close so far COC#3 at 153# but I believe that was a 5 lbs gain because that close was very easy.

Then it took me about 1-2 months of thickbar training to get down to 135# again :yikes

What is the CBT program?

I had no previous training of grip or otherwise, and no knowledge of this grip world,  three years ago when I bought COC grippers 1, 1.5, and 2.  I closed the 1 and 1.5 out of the package and the 2 a week later, wider than MMS (because I am not good at setting, even still).  I was so impressed with myself that I bought the 2.5 and 3, thinking they'd go down soon also.  Wrong!  Six more months to the 2.5, and I pulled something or got tendinitis going for the 3 so I stopped for a year, then took a few months to get the 2.5 again.  I have still never closed that 3 (but after about another year, and training with some grip guys, and learning to set a LITTLE better, I have MMS closed other 3s).

I later determined that my 1 was hard, my 1.5 was easy (I found them hardly different), and my 2 I had rated at 107 which is average.   My 2.5 was 132 (hard), and my 3 was 153 (hard).  On my best ever day a few months ago I closed Chez's cert gripper, a 153-rated COC 3, but that was a good day and then at King Kong I pulled something again, and now my max is back in the 140s.

It's pretty slow going for me since the initial quick gains.  I'd say I was adding 5 pounds every few workouts in the beginning, but now its a grind to add a pound or two, and can be lost back just as easily.  I agree with Chez that there is so much to do with potential and routine,  and injury (which includes luck), so it is really hard to give much other than anecdotal advice.  Your results may vary.

• Like 1

Sometimes, we need to find the right questions to find the answers we seek.  For new folks the obsession with closing the next gripper up in record time or within some expected progression window is an attractive siren.  The problem is it very frequently leads to frustration and injury (though not necessarily in that order).  With grippers its best to take your time, work on form, and be conservative in your goals and programming.  We want to see you on this board for many years to come.  Unfortunately we have seen many promising gripsters get too aggressive with grippers and bow out when they do serious damage.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bwwm said:

Sometimes, we need to find the right questions to find the answers we seek.  For new folks the obsession with closing the next gripper up in record time or within some expected progression window is an attractive siren.  The problem is it very frequently leads to frustration and injury (though not necessarily in that order).  With grippers its best to take your time, work on form, and be conservative in your goals and programming.  We want to see you on this board for many years to come.  Unfortunately we have seen many promising gripsters get too aggressive with grippers and bow out when they do serious damage.  

I wasn't necessarily looking for closing the next gripper in record time. I wanted to know anecdotal experiences from people on how long it took them to progress 5 lbs to their crushing power, whether they were ambitious or conservative with their approach. Personally, I am quite fine with it taking months or even years to progress since I enjoy the journey. 

• Like 4