Gripping In The New Year - Boise, ID *dual sanction*

Amy

I will be promoting a second contest here near Boise, ID. It will be dual sanctioned with Grip Sport and Armlifting USA.

Events In Order:

Ironmind Rolling Thunder

Ironmind Captains of Crush Silver Bullet Hold

Ironmind Double Overhand Axle DL

World of Grip Event TBD (Adjustable Thick Bar for max or hold or Half Penny L:ift)

Entry LInk: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CsNsHi7Z5B1mvcUPrGQXRxHsG8CEzJ0ST5RwrvlPRrQ/edit

Event Page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1593861587380107/

Last weekend I promoted an Armlifting USA sanctioned contest as well. It was the first grip competition in the area ever that I recall. It was very fun and a great opportunity to get local strength athletes out to try something new.  This time around my intent was to expand people's knowledge and exposure to the different components within the grip world. We're all excited out here to see more grip opportunities. This is also the final opportunity to get in on the 2018 Rankings for Armlifting USA.  I will be hosting free training opportunities at our facility as well.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Amy said:

I will be promoting a second contest here near Boise, ID. It will be dual sanctioned with Grip Sport and Armlifting USA.

Events In Order:

Ironmind Rolling Thunder

Ironmind Captains of Crush Silver Bullet Hold

Ironmind Double Overhand Axle DL

World of Grip Event TBD (Adjustable Thick Bar for max or hold or Half Penny L:ift)

Entry LInk: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CsNsHi7Z5B1mvcUPrGQXRxHsG8CEzJ0ST5RwrvlPRrQ/edit

Event Page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1593861587380107/

Last weekend I promoted an Armlifting USA sanctioned contest as well. It was the first grip competition in the area ever that I recall. It was very fun and a great opportunity to get local strength athletes out to try something new.  This time around my intent was to expand people's knowledge and exposure to the different components within the grip world. We're all excited out here to see more grip opportunities. This is also the final opportunity to get in on the 2018 Rankings for Armlifting USA.  I will be hosting free training opportunities at our facility as well.

That’s alot of thick bar for one competition. Where is your pinch bar , vertical bar and my least favorite, hub components?  

Boise is too much of a drive for me but I look forward to reading the comp write ups and results. Hopefully athletes in the area turnout to make the competition a huge success.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That’s alot of thick bar for one competition. Where is your pinch bar , vertical bar and my least favorite, hub components?  

If my event choice is the limiting factor for you to come and compete, I would be thrilled to appease your input for the 4th event. You decide and we'll do it. 

The events were chosen with purpose.....three of the four events are the qualifier events for 2018 rankings for Armlifting USA. The cross sanctioning and David's event are also very purposeful in exposing generally strongman athletes to the multiple facets of grip in segments so it's not too overwhelming and technical with the equipment I have.  Last week I promoted a comp too, same events and a GREAT turn out IMO for a first time grip comp out here, 9 athletes. Competitors loved the event choices and will be coming back next month to do it again.

With less than a month training and never having done grip, we even got a MWW (also Pro Strongwoman) using the COC 2 on the Silver Bullet. She's the first one on their list in over four years. Quite an accomplishment for her and she will be very pleased when the rankings are updated including that comp AND she'll come back for more, just like nearly all the other competitors. So I feel great about the event choice and people are excited.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Boise is too much of a drive for me but I look forward to reading the comp write ups and results. Hopefully athletes in the area turnout to make the competition a huge success.

That would be one heck of a road trip!

Thank you! There were 9 competitors for last week's contest and there are a few new names in the hat for the next one. I've done some training days to encourage athletes to compete and there is good momentum and energy to want to compete. That's a win for everyone! 

5 hours ago, Amy said:

If my event choice is the limiting factor for you to come and compete, I would be thrilled to appease your input for the 4th event. You decide and we'll do it. 

The events were chosen with purpose.....three of the four events are the qualifier events for 2018 rankings for Armlifting USA. The cross sanctioning and David's event are also very purposeful in exposing generally strongman athletes to the multiple facets of grip in segments so it's not too overwhelming and technical with the equipment I have.  Last week I promoted a comp too, same events and a GREAT turn out IMO for a first time grip comp out here, 9 athletes. Competitors loved the event choices and will be coming back next month to do it again.

With less than a month training and never having done grip, we even got a MWW (also Pro Strongwoman) using the COC 2 on the Silver Bullet. She's the first one on their list in over four years. Quite an accomplishment for her and she will be very pleased when the rankings are updated including that comp AND she'll come back for more, just like nearly all the other competitors. So I feel great about the event choice and people are excited.

Amy,

The reason I asked is because there are several components to grip. There have been a lot of contests lately that have not been including those other aspects and only choosing thick bar. Thick bar is my favorite, but I would not only choose thick bar for a contest. In my opinion , each contest should have a component of each to make it well rounded and not only suited to a person good at thick bar.

No, having too much of the same event would not stop me from ever attending a contest. Only time or distance would.

Thanks for your reply and good luck with your contest!

Joe

Edited by Guest

On 11/22/2018 at 4:06 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Amy,

The reason I asked is because there are several components to grip. There have been a lot of contests lately that have not been including those other aspects and only choosing thick bar. Thick bar is my favorite, but I would not only choose thick bar for a contest. In my opinion , each contest should have a component of each to make it well rounded and not only suited to a person good at thick bar.

No, having too much of the same event would not stop me from ever attending a contest. Only time or distance would.

Thanks for your reply and good luck with your contest!

Joe

I appreciate your feedback, truly. You are absolutely correct. Thanks for making me think. The main goal with this comp is to give a broader perspective of grip. So it makes perfect sense to give some exposure to other components of grip other than thick bar and not doing so is defeating my initial purpose. Equipment is the limiting factor and really, I found my world of grip equipment never used, so I'd like to use it with penny pinch then. Thoughts on that? There is a strong dislike for hub out this way. 🙄

1 minute ago, Amy said:

I appreciate your feedback, truly. You are absolutely correct. Thanks for making me think. The main goal with this comp is to give a broader perspective of grip. So it makes perfect sense to give some exposure to other components of grip other than thick bar and not doing so is defeating my initial purpose. Equipment is the limiting factor and really, I found my world of grip equipment never used, so I'd like to use it with penny pinch then. Thoughts on that? There is a strong dislike for hub out this way. 🙄

Amy,

Thoughts on the hub... HATE IT!!! I share the hatred!! My thoughts on world of grip stuff, I only like the moon top. I am not a fan of the stub or other small lift devices. Devices where not much more than 70 pounds is lifted for most. I am a fan of axle, rolling handles, vertical bars, anvil handles and pinch/Saxon bars and handles. The vast array of implements gets out of hand sometimes. The main ones, in my opinion, that have the greatest appeal, are the ones I listed. There are too many “novelty” grip items that are ok for fun, but comps should have events that represent the meat and potatoes and are visually appealing to those not in the know. 

1)axle /2 hands rolling handles (NN,CC, 2 hands wrist wrench)

2) all diameters of a rolling handle/wrist wrench, (FBBC,AA,BS,) do NOT prefer RT as the action is poor and seizes up quite often. 

3) 1 or 2 hands pinch (many options here) also rolling hand pinch 

4)vertical bar or anvil handle (also quite a few options)

5)silver bullet hold for a gripper event.  I am not a fan of the different “sets” that can be used on grippers. The silver bullet, in my opinion, is the most fun and easily tested gripper event.

And again, all of this is subjective. Some may agree, some may not.

Wish I could make it out there for your competition! Best of luck!

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Super pleased with the turn out for two months or less or promoting it and grip comps now being a thing in the Boise area. I am extending the entry deadline until this Saturday, December 22 and expect at least one more entry.

In addition, as usual Ironmind is a great support and stepped up with three $50 gift cards for the top male in each of the following: Silver Bullet, Rolling Thunder and Axle DL. $50 for the overall female performance. Three of these guys showed up for one training day and hit some solid numbers right out the gate. Soooo excited to see competition results, that's where it ALWAYS matters. 

Female Teen
Zowie Nielsen
Mojo Wattles

Women
Tai Simpson
Dani Schwalbe
Amy Wattles

Masters Men
Eric Ettesvold
Ryan Nielson

LW Men
Matt Griffith
Heck Collias (Nick)

MW Men
Colton Grimm

HW Men
Blake Patton
Mike Parks

Event page is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1593861587380107/permalink/1628072170625715/

Edited by Amy
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 11:46 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

Amy,

Thoughts on the hub... HATE IT!!! I share the hatred!! My thoughts on world of grip stuff, I only like the moon top. I am not a fan of the stub or other small lift devices. Devices where not much more than 70 pounds is lifted for most. I am a fan of axle, rolling handles, vertical bars, anvil handles and pinch/Saxon bars and handles. The vast array of implements gets out of hand sometimes. The main ones, in my opinion, that have the greatest appeal, are the ones I listed. There are too many “novelty” grip items that are ok for fun, but comps should have events that represent the meat and potatoes and are visually appealing to those not in the know. 

1)axle /2 hands rolling handles (NN,CC, 2 hands wrist wrench)

2) all diameters of a rolling handle/wrist wrench, (FBBC,AA,BS,) do NOT prefer RT as the action is poor and seizes up quite often. 

3) 1 or 2 hands pinch (many options here) also rolling hand pinch 

4)vertical bar or anvil handle (also quite a few options)

5)silver bullet hold for a gripper event.  I am not a fan of the different “sets” that can be used on grippers. The silver bullet, in my opinion, is the most fun and easily tested gripper event.

And again, all of this is subjective. Some may agree, some may not.

Wish I could make it out there for your competition! Best of luck!

Joe

I got push back that I wasn't doing the thick bar. I TOTALLY blamed you! 😀

1 hour ago, Amy said:

I got push back that I wasn't doing the thick bar. I TOTALLY blamed you! 😀

You didn’t do thick bar? All’s I said was to do more than just thick bar. To get an aspect of more than just thick bar. Gotta have pinch and vertical bar in there. What did you end up doing??

17 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You didn’t do thick bar? All’s I said was to do more than just thick bar. To get an aspect of more than just thick bar. Gotta have pinch and vertical bar in there. What did you end up doing??

Penny Pinch. Comp is 12/30. It's def not my thing but it's easy to load and I'm guessing will be quick so there's that. I keep getting asked to switch it back to the adjustable thick bar. And I laugh that I was mansplained into it, we're sticking with it and no more whining.

(All said in fun 🤣. You didn't technically say penny pinch, I chose it from my options of equipment.)

15 minutes ago, Amy said:

Penny Pinch. Comp is 12/30. It's def not my thing but it's easy to load and I'm guessing will be quick so there's that. I keep getting asked to switch it back to the adjustable thick bar. And I laugh that I was mansplained into it, we're sticking with it and no more whining.

(All said in fun 🤣. You didn't technically say penny pinch, I chose it from my options of equipment.)

I definitely would not have advocated for a penny pinch! Hahaha

1 hour ago, Amy said:

Half a Penny is actually a pretty fun lift. Some of the all-time greatest male gripsters are in the top 5 on that lift 1. Jerome Bloom 2. Jouni Mahonen 3. Juha Harju 4. Marco Buhl 5. Ivan Baritashvili

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can't believe I missed this. I've been waiting forever for a grip comp in Boise. When is the next one?

Edited by Perryfamily208